IGNORED

How do you figure out speed before line on the putts?

FortAsel
Note: This thread is 5941 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I can only figure out speed after I've figured out the line, but most of pros say that it is suposed to be the other way around...

I'm curious about tips and drills that you have when you want to make a putt with break. Do you do like I do or do you fihure out speed first?

Plus, how do you read the greens?

In my bag:

Titleist 905 Aldila VS Proto| TaylorMade r9 stiff shaft| Titleist 906F Aldila NV 75-S Fairway| Titleist ZM S300 (3-PW) |Titleist 54º SM TT Wedge Flex| Titleist 60º SM TT Wedge Flex| Scotty Cameron Newport 2

09 Goals- Handicap to 2 (I'm crazy I know)- Win 10 tournaments (dune)- Win...

I usually look at the break of the putt first and then consider the distance. I usually first start by finding where the putt is going to enter the hole and then look for the high spot of the break that I'll aim for to start the ball in that direction.

Judging distance , If it is a downhill putt, I calculate the distance I need to roll the putt, for example, if the green is slight downhill then my distance that I am hitting my putt might be a foot short of the hole and the slope of the hill will carry the ball the rest of the way to the hole, if the slope is greater, I'll hit my putt 3 feet short of the hole and let gravity help roll the rest of the way to the hole.

so once you know what distance your back stroke is for a given distance your ball travels you can shorten or length the back stroke for any distance you need to hit your putts.

Reading breaks is starting from the hole and see where its going to enter the hole. Once you established that you can walk back and find the high spot of the break and aim your putter to that spot. My last thought is the speed of the putt and keep my head still and make the perfect putting stroke.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I can only figure out speed after I've figured out the line, but most of pros say that it is suposed to be the other way around...

I'm pretty sure that there is no way to "find your line" without "finding your distance" at the same time.

See, I can hit the ball on the exact same line at three different speeds, and the ball will do three different things. I think when aiming your shot, subconsciously you estimate both your line and speed at the same time. I think it would be quite impossible to do one without the other, because by aiming a line without judging your speed, you would leave yourself with an infinite amount of possibilities. Anyone understand what I'm trying to say?

Clubs in my Army-issued duffel-bag...

DTR Irons : 2-9
DCI Wedges : PW 48* & SW 56*
Driver : Mid-Size TP System2 9.5* Metalwood (5) 23*

It generally works best to find a general line, a speed, then an exact line. THat lets you know about where the ball will enter the hole and how hard when you are finding the exact line.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

It generally works best to find a general line, a speed, then an exact line. THat lets you know about where the ball will enter the hole and how hard when you are finding the exact line.

what i think in my head is: Line, then Speed, then Line again.

Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

Me too. I get an idea of the initial line, judge the speed, then adjust the line again if needed.

Now if I could just get the ball rolling on that line
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One great drill to work on matching a line and a speed is the three line drill, often used by Bob Rotella, one of the great instructors of the short and mental game.

What you do is find a hard breaking putt that is 6-10 feet long. You then do just what the name says; hit the putt on three different lines (soft w/ more break, medium w/ mid break, hard w/ less break). THis helps your mind see a speed matched with a line instead of a seperate line and speed.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

I'm pretty sure that there is no way to "find your line" without "finding your distance" at the same time.

I'm with you!

I actually tend to read more into break than speed. I only read determine speed based on whether I'm putting uphill or downhill. Speed kinda comes naturally based on my line.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I see both as inextricably tied together. Except on a perfectly straight putt, line is dictated by speed, and the speed you choose is dictated by your putting style. Are you aggressive... do you aim for the back of the cup? Or are you a die it into the side of the cup kind of putter? Your line on any sort of breaking putt will be different depending on your putting philosophy.

I can't even begin to explain how I read a putt. I look at it from behind the ball and just sort of "feel" it. On rare occasions I have to walk around to look from the hole to the ball when I can't get a feel for the read from behind the ball, but that is only when I can't be decisive with my normal routine. After I get that feel, then I pick a line and start my routine (takes about 10 seconds for my preshot routine). Unlike Eric, I don't see the value of a line on the ball. I've tried it and it just doesn't get me anything, but it does seem to work for others, so if you like it, go for it. I'm a spot putter... I pick a point on the green about 2 feet in front of my ball, on the line I've chosen, and I align my putter with that spot. I take one last look at the hole and follow the line back from the hole to the ball with my eyes, mostly to lock in the feel for the distance, then I hit the putt.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

i look for the break and try to see the line i want my ball to take. i like to trace that line w/ my eyes, what i mean by that is imagine how the ball will drop in the cup but starting from the cup all the way to where my ball is. while i'm tracing the line i take in the distance and let my body take over. a big part of missing putts for me is the bad habit of looking up instead of keeping my eyes down during contact.

In my bag:
Driver: R9 TP Rombax Stiff
3 Wood: R9 TP 85g Stiff
3 hybrid: X
4-SW: X-20 Uniflex

SteelLW: Forged Chrome

Putter: White Hot XG #1

This sounds cliched and too simple, but it took me awhile to get the hang of it.

When you throw a baseball, you don't think how far back to take your arm or how much to cock your wrist, you just do it and learn to gauge your distance by experience.

It's the same with putting - imagine rolling the ball like you're bowling and then imagine the putter as an extension of your arms.

Also, minimal tension in the arms and hands.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 5941 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!