IGNORED

Lost 100lbs and now I suck at golf, Help!

Note: This thread is 2172 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi there,

This is my first post because I am totally lost and didn't know where to seek answers so I thought I would try the ol internets.

For the past 10 years I have been golfing quite a lot.  My handicap was an 11 two years ago and I was making steady progress year after year.  Last June I got sick of being fat and started losing weight.  Last summer i really struggled with golfing,  I was getting worse and worse as the year went by.

This spring I have been so incredibly bad that it's been embarrassing.  Im starting to realise that it likely has something to do with being down 100lbs.  Maybe my timing is off now,  maybe because I'm not swinging around a giant belly my mechanics are all messed up.

I'm hoping someone can give me some ideas as to what worked for them.  I can't even really feel what I'm doing wrong.  The weird thing is how good my swing feels now,  my finish position feels nice.

My drives keep being going way right and then slicing on top of that... Which leads me to think that I'm coming through with very open hands.. I'm trying to close them faster but then I pull hook the ball.. there seems to be no happy place where the drives are going straight.  

I've always struggled a little bit with my drivers but now my irons (which I used to be very accurate with) are getting extreme top spin.  Like the ball starts going up and then dives so hard to the ground.  And again my swing feels so good that I'm at a complete loss of words.  

The only part of my game that I'm still decent at is less than 100 yards,  chipping and pitching and putting.

I wish I could go see a golf coach but I live 2 hours away from the nearest golf academy.

I'll take any advice,  some things to try at the range,  I would also like to hear if others experienced this.

Funny thing is there is another golfer I talked to at the course who lost 70 lbs since last year and he says he can't hit a damn thing anymore either.

Tha's quite the dilemma.  Hate to hear of people contemplating quitting golf.

We have a swing thread here and you could post up some vids of your swing and folks could offer up some ideas.

Loosing 100lbs can dynamically change your body and thus changing your swing.  You mentioned swinging around your belly, if it is gone now that can be a challenge. 

Have you gotten stronger with the weight loss or lost power?  This can be a factor too.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have also been weight training as well so I don't think I've lost much in the way of strength.   The couple good drives I've had,  I crushed them.  I'll go check out that subforum,  and work on getting video of my swing.  Thank you!

You're welcome, glad to help.

With added strength and a loss of a belly I would imagine you swing has changed big time.

Maybe a lil outside in to slice the ball, maybe a different angle of attack now, maybe over or under rotating.  Hope folks can help once you got your swing thread up.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

45 minutes ago, Wils_e said:

I have also been weight training as well so I don't think I've lost much in the way of strength.   The couple good drives I've had,  I crushed them.  I'll go check out that subforum,  and work on getting video of my swing.  Thank you!

Post a video of your swing on the Member Swings thread, I'm sure you will get plenty of great advice from this site.

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/forum/13-member-swings/

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Stay with it. Your swing will eventually catch up with your new body mass. I went through the same issue a few years ago. 

Due to an accident, I lost a lot of weight, and I mean alot. Once I eating better, I gained back what I lost, and a whole bunch more. My golf game was consistently decent with the extra weight. 

My wife finally informed me enough was enough, and put me on a diet. I lost 75 pounds, and my swing became out of whack as far as timing, and tempo we're concerned. My swing path also changed, as well as how far I stood from the ball. A different body was now swinging the club 

I went back to my own basics. That being the green to tee relearning scenario. I started with pitch shots, and work my way back to my driver. Didn't take long at all to get decent again. 

BTW, look at the bright side. It's better to be 100 lbs lighter with fixable, poor golf swing, than having a good golf swing, with poor health. 

Also, Welcome to TST. 

Edited by Patch
  • Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Muscle memory. 

I'm sure you gained a ton of muscle in your weight loss journey. Since your covered with new muscles. You need to train your new body to use the new muscles correctly in sequence. 

With such a drastic change in weight, you can expect the same change in your swing, so your basically starting your full swing over again. 

The new swing won't be as time consuming as you might be affraid off, but the results will be worth the rebuild! 

On 5/8/2018 at 12:41 PM, Wils_e said:

Hi there,

This is my first post because I am totally lost and didn't know where to seek answers so I thought I would try the ol internets.

For the past 10 years I have been golfing quite a lot.  My handicap was an 11 two years ago and I was making steady progress year after year.  Last June I got sick of being fat and started losing weight.  Last summer i really struggled with golfing,  I was getting worse and worse as the year went by.

This spring I have been so incredibly bad that it's been embarrassing.  Im starting to realise that it likely has something to do with being down 100lbs.  Maybe my timing is off now,  maybe because I'm not swinging around a giant belly my mechanics are all messed up.

I'm hoping someone can give me some ideas as to what worked for them.  I can't even really feel what I'm doing wrong.  The weird thing is how good my swing feels now,  my finish position feels nice.

My drives keep being going way right and then slicing on top of that... Which leads me to think that I'm coming through with very open hands.. I'm trying to close them faster but then I pull hook the ball.. there seems to be no happy place where the drives are going straight.  

I've always struggled a little bit with my drivers but now my irons (which I used to be very accurate with) are getting extreme top spin.  Like the ball starts going up and then dives so hard to the ground.  And again my swing feels so good that I'm at a complete loss of words.  

The only part of my game that I'm still decent at is less than 100 yards,  chipping and pitching and putting.

I wish I could go see a golf coach but I live 2 hours away from the nearest golf academy.

I'll take any advice,  some things to try at the range,  I would also like to hear if others experienced this.

Funny thing is there is another golfer I talked to at the course who lost 70 lbs since last year and he says he can't hit a damn thing anymore either.

Consider different swing weights or just straight up heavier or lighter shafts. 

I am sure a refitting can't hurt.

Vishal S.

Congratulations on the lost weigth! Yes, like they said above, you need to start building your swing from scratch with the new body. Once you have a decent swing you´d better go and get yourself fitted for new clubs. 

Good luck!

Swing sucks after weight loss? Yep, been there, done that. 

75 lbs. ago my core was not only much bigger but more stable. When I drift I can lose it both ways. Usually its a slice but on days when I've got a little more swing speed that slice can become a nasty hook off the toe as I try to save the shot.

I still drift forward when I'm not vigilant about a steady head and staying behind the ball. I know it sounds silly because it's likely the first thing we were taught but part of a steady head is keeping your eye on the ball and watching that clubhead hit the back of the ball.

I know how frustrating it can be. On top of all the problems I had necessitating a swing rebuild, I injured my left knee permanently. What I learned was that without all that core mass I had lost all stability in my lower half. Now when I make a backswing I must focus on stability in the left knee. However that has solved the backwards drift/sway.

I've also experienced that funky iron topspin problem you mentioned. I have found that I simply am not compressing the ball and must focus on contact with a flat left wrist.

This thread might help:

Also see the five keys thread.

Despite all the problems and frustration remember the game of golf will always be there. You must stay hyper vigilant about not gaining the weight back. It's not worth putting yourself through all the hell you have already overcome. I know for myself that without golf I never would have lost as much weight or kept it off.

David

I searched for this topic, because I was fearing having the same issue.  I am down 50+ lbs in the last 2 months (50 or so still to go...), and am now just starting to head back out to the links.  I finished up last fall at 5.1( my lowest index ever) and first time out to the range i shanked my first twenty plus shots.  It scared me to death.  Thankfully i seem to have found my groove again and after yesterday's revision i am now down to 4.7.    Don't give up, and be confident in yourself that you can get it back, and you will!

Note: This thread is 2172 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!