IGNORED

Shaftiodes Beware - Mark Crossfield Video

Puttin4Dough
Note: This thread is 1517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
18 hours ago, Puttin4Dough said:

Thanks.  I think the fact that a shorter ladies shaft performed as well as the longer X shaft was the "mic drop".

It's not. Get fit - that's what people say. They don't say "get fit for an X shaft that's longer." They say "get fit."

And as I said, you don't pay more for "XXX flex" than you do for a "Regular." The shaft brand and model determine that.

18 hours ago, Puttin4Dough said:

I can't recall the last time I went into a PGASS where they started me out with a ladies shaft.  Never happens...but now we see it should happen...and maybe the industry should stop with the "Ladies Flex" and "Senior Flex" names because that serves to eliminate tons of options...and steers folks into limited selections...and of course...shaft "upgrades".

They never start you there because, most likely, they know what they're doing.

This is one slightly sensationalist video. Someone like @saevel25 will not fit into a ladies shaft when he's 70, most likely, so starting him there now would just be a complete waste of time.

Your rhythm, tempo, and swing speed are factors. Your individual swing - when you load and unload - are factors. But a lot of the time you can rule out huge swaths of shafts from consideration. After that, it's simply about following the patterns.

P.S. Just watched the video, @Puttin4Dough, and c'mon man… the video compares ONE shaft against ONE other shaft. This wasn't a complete shaft fitting. All it says is that ONE shaft was better than ONE other shaft. It doesn't say the L shaft is the best for this guy.

And I've LONG said, and am on the record in LSW, of having said that I can shoot 72 with my wife's set of clubs, but I'll probably never shoot 68 with them. Fitting matters, but it doesn't matter as much as a lot of people seem to think.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

And as I said, you don't pay more for "XXX flex" than you do for a "Regular." The shaft brand and model determine that.

Well, when you are buying aftermarket shafts, this is true. 

I have seen a few golf "club" companies put the X-stiff or more in the exotic uncharge category more. Something like $25 to $50 more on the club. It's rare to see. I would say 99% of the time they are priced by make and model of the golf shaft, excluding flex. 

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

Your rhythm, tempo, and swing speed are factors. Your individual swing - when you load and unload - are factors. But a lot of the time you can rule out huge swaths of shafts from consideration. After that, it's simply about following the patterns.

This is important. 

Golfers will adjust to the golf shaft. It is about consistency and confidence. There would be no way I would feel comfortable swinging my normal tempo with a ladies flex golf shaft. 

The benefit of getting fit is, you know what to look for in the future.  

I'm an easy fit. KBS, Project X, Dynamic Gold, any of these in 120+ gram, Stiff or X-stiff will get me close to my optimal numbers. 

For a driver, it's typically low torque, mid to high 70 gram, x-stiff golf shaft. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

17 hours ago, colin007 said:

WTF is a "shaftiod"? I could understand if it were spelled "shaftoid", but it's not...

Yay! Someone finally asked the $1 million question! -Marv

• Like 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Mark is great! I love his content and his willingness to go against popular belief.

As a new golfer, who at one time seemed confused and overwhelmed by all of the different shaft options (and opinions), this is great to see and releiving.

I settled on 'regular' shafts when I started because I figured I can't be swinging as fast as tour pros and other big hitters. Then I started golfing with some buddies and realized they were ALL in stiff or x-stiff shafts. It was actually a bit upsetting because I thought I was missing the boat.

I'm glad to see Mark clearing things up -or- atleast opening the discussion.

• Like 1

- Steve

Driver: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917D2 (9.5*), 3/4 Wood: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917F2 (16*),
Hybridstaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Rescue Mid (19*) & :wilsonstaff: D100 (22*), 5i-PW, GWcobra.png.f5a0c3806c04153a74a3b11aaf4308b0.png F7 One Length
Wedges:wilsonstaff: PMP (54* & 58*), Puttertaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Spider Mini

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Mark isn't saying what shaft to play...just that folks should not assume S or X, and some folks adjust to about any shaft.  That's basically all he was pointing out.

Edited by Puttin4Dough

The lesson is "Get Fit."

No universal standard exists for shafts - no standard as to measuring torque, flex, etc. Every shaft maker is different. Every golfer is different - swing, tempo, speed, rhythm, launch, ball position, etc. You may find a couple of OEMs whose shafts you tend to like, but there are always surprises.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• 1 year later...

Bumping this topic as im considering a new driver (probably a Mavrik Callaway), and first time poster.

I think Mark Crossfield's point is, in isolation a shaft doesnt do much. If you deliver the club the same way with a ladies flex club, as you do with an X flex, then other than very small differences in launch and spin, the results will be ALMOST identical. The shaft itself is much less of a factor in the launch and spin of the shot than the golfer's strike, and the strike especially for an average teen handicap amateur will be variable.

BUT

Shaft flex DOES matter, because we ARE human. And the different shafts cause us to deliver the club differently, which changes our contact, which then mean we like one shaft over the other because we start to hit the ball more solidly, and it feels the way that we want it to feel.

I for one know that i do NOT like project X shafts, i dont like the butt stiff feeling and even though the numbers would suggest otherwise, i would instinctively deliver the club differently with a project X shafted club than i would with a dynamic gold shafted club.

So it DOES matter, but it doesnt matter because its the shaft itself making the difference to your precise  repeatable swing, but its the other way around..... that the shaft is what helps you (or hinders you) from delivering the clubhead to the ball with good angles/feeling

First of all, shouldn't it be "shaftoids" and not "shaftiods"? And the guys comment about how he goes by feel more than numbers makes all kinds of sense to me. As has been pointed out before, there is no objective standard for shaft flex. Every manufacturer has their own standard. 

On 5/26/2018 at 4:20 PM, colin007 said:

WTF is a "shaftiod"? I could understand if it were spelled "shaftoid", but it's not...

😂😂😂😂😂

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Note: This thread is 1517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!