IGNORED

2018 U.S. Open at Shinnecock Hills

iacas
Note: This thread is 2131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Triple bogey start by Tiger. Guess I don’t have to worry about that Tiger tattoo on my back. 69 ain’t happening. 79, maybe.

Edited by ChrisP

2 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Triple bogey start by Tiger. Guess I don’t have to worry about that Tiger tattoo on my back. 69 ain’t happening. 79, maybe.

it's early. 

but......ouch

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

On the most difficult courses I've played, green complexes with smallish firm greens have been the courses primary defense, or the property has you hitting into the green from weird angles. Seems like this course is set up for a combination of both. 

Yeah, this course sort of reminds me of Pinehurst #2. Plenty of room on the fairway, but the real test is hitting the greens on your approaches. The greens are small, firm, and fast. And if you miss the greens in the wrong spot, you're making double at best.

Tiger is ejecting already. That was an awful approach. And then 3 pretty bad plays from off the green. I've patented that double bogey, and you just have to get your ball on the green with your chip if you end up in a spot like that.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Kinda sucks to see the game’s biggest names blowing up already today. I mean if Tiger keeps sliding, you could have Tiger, Phil, Spieth, Rory and Day basically out of it after one day. I mean I’ll still watch but it definitely loses its punch.

3 hours ago, lastings said:

As a 10 handicap (but a relatively long one, 265 drive and pretty straight), what would I shoot at Shinne today if I played well?   playing from US Open tees.  

my first guess is 117.

My guess is that you would do well to average triple bogey per hole. Sounds crazy but the best players in the world are throwing double bogeys up on the board like they're pars. Triple bogey every hole is +54, which equates to 124 (Par 70). So my guess is your best would be to break 125, more likely to shoot over 130.

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

Tiger has a near-GIR on hole 2.  

Brian Gay has a near-ace on hole 7.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

So it turns out there's a special piece of equipment this year just for the sole purpose of trimming the aprons and the grass around the greens at Shinnecock.  Pretty cool.

Spoiler

Right here:

2018-06-14 13_11_09-safety razor - Google Search.jpg2018-06-14 13_14_00-straight razor - Google Search.jpg

I like the on line coverage - picture in picture in use here.  no issues

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

My guess is that you would do well to average triple bogey per hole. Sounds crazy but the best players in the world are throwing double bogeys up on the board like they're pars. Triple bogey every hole is +54, which equates to 124 (Par 70). So my guess is your best would be to break 125, more likely to shoot over 130.

No. The U.S. Open celebrity challenges say quite differently.

The best players in the world are not "throwing double bogeys up like they're pars." They're getting an occasional double. And a 10 would make an occasional par.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Justin Thomas with a nice bunker shot at #2. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

These greens are mean. Wherever you hit it, it will roll off if you're a little long or short.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Tiger Woods with a nice T-wedge from off the green on #2.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

Dustin carries his over 300 yards.  

Tiger with a nice tee shot too... but that happened on the last two holes too.  C'mon Tiger, turn it around. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

6 minutes ago, allenc said:

I’m just watching Hole #2 for the first time.  Is it impossible or what?

idk, Dustin made a nice birdie 3 there.  It's nice to have a driveable par-4 so early in the round.

Another near-GIR for Tiger, nearer than the last one, which was nearer than the first hole's approach.  At this rate, he won't have to putt on the second nine at all. 

Edited by Shindig
  • Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

5 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Dustin carries his over 300 yards.  

Tiger with a nice tee shot too... but that happened on the last two holes too.  C'mon Tiger, turn it around. 

Problem is outside of 5, there isn’t a birdie hole out there. He just needs to pretty much try and find a way to play the rest of the day in Even Par or +1. I see no chance in hell of him finishing any better than +4 today. Anything better than +6 is probably slim.

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

No. The U.S. Open celebrity challenges say quite differently.

The best players in the world are not "throwing double bogeys up like they're pars." They're getting an occasional double. And a 10 would make an occasional par.

Rory had 3 doubles in his first 11 holes.

And i would seriously question if a 10 would make an occassional par; thats approx what i am and what i've seen so far there's no way i could par any of these holes. A 250 yd par 3? I'd hit driver and come up short. A 535 yd par 4? Ridiculous; 90% of the par 5's i play are that length or shorter.

The severity of the rough compared to what most 'average joe 10 hdcp' plays, the slopes and run offs around the greens, the speed of the greens. The only way a 10 handicap would make a par would be a lucky chip in.

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

Getting shots back is really tough today. It's more about avoiding dropped shots than gaining a few.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 2131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!