IGNORED

2018 World Cup

Moxley
Note: This thread is 2110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

11 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

When the goalkeeper has been drawn away and regular players try and defend have they ever stopped a goal? Just seems ripe for a handball if contact is made. If they manage to block seems like easy rebound goal. 

Yes, many times goals have been saved by defenders when the goalie is out of position.  I’ve never seen a handball in this situation though; likely because they’re extra cautious knowing that it’s nearly a guaranteed red card.

• Informative 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Der Mannschaft (Germany) played without heart or purpose.  Of the teams remaining, Belgium, looks very good.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

8 minutes ago, DrMJG said:

Der Mannschaft (Germany) played without heart or purpose.  Of the teams remaining, Belgium, looks very good.

Belgium has looked solid. I think the Brazil/Mexico game will say a lot about what will happen in the end. If Brazil wins by 2+ I think they’ll have their talent together and be a very strong favorite. But if they squeak by, it’s open. If Mexico wins that’ll be huge momentum for Mexico.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 6/29/2018 at 1:36 AM, Golfingdad said:

Sure, their chances of reaching the final are lower if they play Brazil in the quarters, but that is a different goal than winning the tournament.  If you make the assumption that they’d play Brazil in said final, I wonder if the odds are better the other way around. 🙂

No, the odds are not better the other way round. Brazil may slip up and not make the final as I've said, that is part of the point. 

But if England do make the final , they are likely to face a strong team. Facing Brazil instead of, say , Spain is probably the difference between having a 35% and 40% chance of victory, respectively. 

England's side of the draw is very, very soft compared with Belgium's side, so I'm pleased the groups have worked out like they have. 

• Like 1

Today's winners: France over Argentina and Uruguay over Portugal.

Sunday's winners: Spain over Russia and Croatia over Denmark

Monday's winners: Brazil over Mexico and Belgium over Japan

Tuesday's winners: Sweden over Switzerland and England over Colombia

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Damn Uruguay looked good today! Two great games today. Very impressed with the speed of France’s forwards. I’m pulling for Mexico over Brazil.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Damn Uruguay looked good today! Two great games today. Very impressed with the speed of France’s forwards. I’m pulling for Mexico over Brazil.

Yeah they were good.  And I don’t believe anything he did affected the game drastically BUT I though the ref in the Uruguay game was really bad.

Rooting for Denmark tomorrow - go Christian Erikson!

All hail the low cut!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

9 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

I though the ref in the Uruguay game was really bad.

I agree.   Even Dr. Joe Machnik  made the comment about missed calls.   

Wow! Russia moves on! I never would’ve guessed Arg,Spain,Portugal, and Germany would all be gone at this point....

I thought he was god awful.  Even off on the basics of where he should locate himself at times.  I hope he was sent home.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

There is a rule saying that the keeper on a penalty must remain on the line until the ball has been kicked. This rule is clearly not being enforced. Especially now with VAR, they should either start enforcing it, change it or get rid of it.

Croatia didn't look as sharp today, but I'd rather see them winning than Denmark.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

1 hour ago, Zeph said:

There is a rule saying that the keeper on a penalty must remain on the line until the ball has been kicked. This rule is clearly not being enforced. Especially now with VAR, they should either start enforcing it, change it or get rid of it.

Croatia didn't look as sharp today, but I'd rather see them winning than Denmark.

Keepers have come off the the goal line for almost ever.    Remember the 1999 (probably not) Women's world cup?   USA vs China.   The US keeper came off of the line one step to help cut down the angle before deciding which way to move.   The practice was in place before her and continues even today.   As a matter of fact, the practice is taught in goal keeper schools nation wide.    The one step advance helps the keeper tremendously.  

I agree with you they should start enforcing it, change it or get rid of it.   

Croatia seems to be out of gas early.   They played very good defense but seems to lack the fire we saw from them earlier in the group stage.  I thought they were the better team although they didn't play that way today.

Seeing Spain go home was a shock.   They didn't play inspired soccer today and today was the one day the home crowd helped Russia become the better team. 

I was surprised at how good Uruguay looked yesterday because I thought they looked good on group because they had such a soft group.

Now I’m not as surprised because apparently Russia is legit!

I didn't think Russia was very good because I didn't hear about any qualifying rounds.   Since they received an automatic bid I didn't give them much credit.   I have been impressed with their play.   

I'm really looking forward to seeing Brazil vs Mexico tomorrow morning.

On 6/29/2018 at 10:08 PM, nevets88 said:

Any podcast recommendations for the WC? Overcast gave me The Totally Football Show and The Football Ramble. Men in Blazers limited episodes. 

The Game from the Times is also very good. I listen to their weekly pod during the regular season, don't have time to listen to the WC one.

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

On 6/30/2018 at 9:29 AM, nevets88 said:

When the goalkeeper has been drawn away and regular players try and defend have they ever stopped a goal? Just seems ripe for a handball if contact is made. If they manage to block seems like easy rebound goal. 

This is an amazing example of this, got them through to the semis. Also how good was Forlan in this tournament!!!

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

1 hour ago, alleztom said:

This is an amazing example of this, got them through to the semis. Also how good was Forlan in this tournament!!!

Jesus, I had somehow forgotten about that.  As if we didn’t all have enough reasons to despise Suarez? Lol

Note: This thread is 2110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!