IGNORED

2018 Quicken Loans National Invitational Discussion Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 2125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Oh sure, Tiger, miss a 3'1" birdie putt but surround it by making longer ones.  Oh well, 2 under on that stretch is still two under on that stretch.

Yup. That felt like a punch in the nuts.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Informative 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

And a downhill longer one with some break!  

Clearly the problem on hole 14 was that he hit it too close to the hole on his second shot. 

The commentary on the heat -- is that humidity, or that they have to walk, or what?  Because I think I sweat a lot and I can't remember needing to change a shirt mid-round.  I'm aware serious tournament golf is very different from what I play.  

Also, how does he go about changing a shirt midround?  Does he just bring an extra red shirt in that bag?

Molinari just hates hitting the golf ball so he isn't bothering to do it very many times.  I wish I could emulate that.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Remember the time Vijay won a WGC while losing over a stroke per round putting to the field?  Maybe that's Tiger's plan if he gets into WGC-Bridgestone.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Frustrating day for Tiger with those short misses, but he should be very encouraged by his ball striking, and the fact that Molinari was unbeatable today should take most of the sting out of not winning -- looks like even a 58 wouldn't have done it.

Edited by brocks

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Zeph said:

I hate stats like that. A lot of those are tap-ins, but if a guy has 20 putts from 8' to 10', then he's penalized in stats like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

All of these longer putts being made and the missed 3'1".  Golf is hard.

Announcer says Tiger can't finish at higher than third.  This is false;  it's unlikely but he could finish second is Molinari takes a pair of 10s on some holes.

I ... don't think Tiger will finish higher than third this week.

• Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

21 minutes ago, iacas said:

I hate stats like that. A lot of those are tap-ins, but if a guy has 20 putts from 8' to 10', then he's penalized in stats like that.

And it doesn't say anything about what kind of putts they are. Uphill, downhill, breakers or straight. I looked up Tiger's missed putts inside 10 ft. and here's the list:

9'7"
6'3"
7'2"
6'5"
6'2"
8'1"
8'1"
9'5"
7'10"
8'0"
9'2"
6'0"
3'1"

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Zeph said:

And it doesn't say anything about what kind of putts they are. Uphill, downhill, breakers or straight. I looked up Tiger's missed putts inside 10 ft. and here's the list:

9'7"
6'3"
7'2"
6'5"
6'2"
8'1"
8'1"
9'5"
7'10"
8'0"
9'2"
6'0"
3'1"

Yep. Except for the 3'1" one, they're outside of 6'. And he's made some from 6' to 10' too.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Announcer says Tiger can't finish at higher than third.  This is false;  it's unlikely but he could finish second is Molinari takes a pair of 10s on some holes.

I like the way you think.  Maybe somebody will phone in a video of Kang with 15 clubs in his bag, and Tiger can win.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, brocks said:

I like the way you think.  Maybe somebody will phone in a video of Kang with 15 clubs in his bag, and Tiger can win.

Kang?

Oh, never mind. You were saying Molinari was gonna take those 10s, and Kang was/is second.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Kang?

Oh, never mind. You were saying Molinari was gonna take those 10s, and Kang was/is second.

I think the idea is playing on my comment about the 10s, saying if Molinari took 10s and Kang turned out to have had a 15th club, Tiger could win.  It's playing on my being needless pedantic about high probability vs certainty. 

I don't think there's any real chance Tiger finishes higher than 3rd from here, obviously.

-- Michael | My swing! 

• Administrator

At this point I'm rooting for an Armour collapse for a 3rd-place finish for Tigger.

• Like 1

Hopefully in the end it won't come down to that 2-foot putt he missed on 15. That was brutal to watch.

Gonna have to get at least a top-10 at arguably one of the toughest courses in the world, Carnoustie, which is a difficult task. 

Edited by ChrisP

4 hours ago, Shindig said:

I think the idea is playing on my comment about the 10s, saying if Molinari took 10s and Kang turned out to have had a 15th club, Tiger could win.  It's playing on my being needless pedantic about high probability vs certainty. 

I don't think there's any real chance Tiger finishes higher than 3rd from here, obviously.

High probability?

:bugout:

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 2125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!