IGNORED

The Match: Tiger vs. Phil Showdown for $9M

jimnm
Note: This thread is 1973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Phil barely wins closest to the pin on that challenge.  Much closer (to one another) than the last par - 3. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I think that if they played for $1M of their own money they’d not only be looser but more people would have wanted to watch.

So not only does the announcer talk too much, but Bacon can’t even get the terms of the bet right on the putt on the 8th hole. $75k for Tiger, and he leaves it about six feet short, and Phil for $50k.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Their own money would be way more enticing.  The 9 isn’t from their pockets and I’m pretty sure the side bets will be worked just right by their CPAs to go down as write offs/ donations. But yea iacas I’m with you put your own money up and things change in a hurry

Funny, even the announcers said people are watching this more for the interactions versus the golf and yet, we are not seeing/listening to all their interactions because the announcers like to talk.

Tiger isn’t looking too hot. Some bad tee shots and bad putting. Phil is being Phil. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

I think that if they played for $1M of their own money they’d not only be looser but more people would have wanted to watch.

I thought you’d asked earlier why playing for their own money would make a difference?

On 11/19/2018 at 9:42 PM, iacas said:

I don't understand why that matters. They could have lied and said it was their own money. Or even just split the purse $5M/$4M behind the scenes.

They're still playing for $9M.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Tiger tee shot at 9 ... purposely short of Phil or did Phil get an odd bounce?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

2 minutes ago, Shindig said:

I think Phil just hit his really well. 

Bet is 1mil for a 2 on hole 9

Edited by phillyk

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Huh, I didn't purchase this, read somewhere just now it's free on BleacherReport. Just tried it, I'm getting it and didn't pay anything.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 minute ago, Shindig said:

Good question. Didn’t get any info since all the jabbering other then Tiger and Phil was going on.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, CaseyD said:

Their own money would be way more enticing.  The 9 isn’t from their pockets and I’m pretty sure the side bets will be worked just right by their CPAs to go down as write offs/ donations. But yea iacas I’m with you put your own money up and things change in a hurry

Well, they are donations to the opposing player’s charity. So no “working just right” is needed.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, nevets88 said:

Huh, I didn't purchase this, read somewhere it's free on BleacherReport. I'm getting it and didn't pay anything.

Really? Live and regular play?

Just now, Vinsk said:

Really? Live and regular play?

Affirmatory. Try it. Doing it from a laptop.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Tiger's legendary accuracy on approach shots does not seem to be happening today, one or two exceptions notwithstanding. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I thought you’d asked earlier why playing for their own money would make a difference?

It wouldn’t - I’d still watch. But I think the $ amount is high enough that THEY care. They’re in game mode, they’re not all that loose.

1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

Huh, I didn't purchase this, read somewhere it's free on BleacherReport. Just tried now, I'm getting it and didn't pay anything.

Yeah I saw reports on Twitter about that. Crazy how they may have goofed that up totally.

1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

Affirmatory. Try it. Doing it from a laptop.

I am but I shelled out $20 yesterday. I don’t have cable. 

This one just showed up on the broadcast: 

-- Michael | My swing! 

2 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I am but I shelled out $20 yesterday. I don’t have cable. 

Yeah, they definitely messed up, BR. 

I was reading a lot of streaming complaints, maybe they were adjusting and broke their website/billing/stream.

• Like 1

Steve

Note: This thread is 1973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!