IGNORED

Golf telecasts and the divide between the young and olds

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 7/29/2018 at 9:21 PM, Vinsk said:

not to see a sad wiener dog get a new home with his own yard where dogs are allowed

And I think his (wiener dog) new home seems to be a suburban home located in central park or something crazy like that. It looks like they are taking a walk in lower Manhattan and then come across their home on a leafy residential neighborhood.   

• Like 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Way too many commercials and talking heads segments. The other issue I have with the broadcasts is the early broadcast, where there are 50-60 golfers on the course, but we have to see DJ hitting shots on the driving range or putting green. Come on, there are golfers out there playing that I'd like to see.

The way we get around it all is to record the game, and then start watching about an hour or so later. Skip the commercials, talking heads, practice.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

46 minutes ago, Rkrider99 said:

Way too many commercials and talking heads segments. The other issue I have with the broadcasts is the early broadcast, where there are 50-60 golfers on the course, but we have to see DJ hitting shots on the driving range or putting green. Come on, there are golfers out there playing that I'd like to see.

The way we get around it all is to record the game, and then start watching about an hour or so later. Skip the commercials, talking heads, practice.

I see these as different issues. Commercial breaks are there for commercial reasons, while the other things, such as analysis features, are part of what they deem makes a rounded, better programme. We won't all agree on what they should/shouldn't show, but they are likely trying to provide a bit of something for everyone. 

As a UK viewer (Sky Golf), I'm more or less happy with the coverage , but I wouldn't want the commercial breaks to get any longer (or increase in number). As before, I think there is enough money in the game.

I like how NBC does the play-through golf during commercials. You get more golf, even with commercials. But overall, I just think NBC blows CBS away. They have better on-course talent with Feherty, Maltbie, Bones and Rolfing, and they offer better insight. Listening to McCord, Nobilo and IBF on CBS is like pounding my head against the wall. It's not appealing to the young viewer, only the old viewer who likes to fall to sleep. Hicks is better than Nantz. Johnny Miller and Nick Faldo are both really good, although I give the slight edge to Johnny. But he's down to his last year or two and I don't see Duval (if that's who they bring into replace him) doing nearly as good a job.

Edited by ChrisP

6 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

I like how NBC does the play-through golf during commercials. You get more golf, even with commercials. But overall, I just think NBC blows CBS away. They have better on-course talent with Feherty, Maltbie, Bones and Rolfing, and they offer better insight. Listening to McCord, Nobilo and IBF on CBS is like pounding my head against the wall. It's not appealing to the young viewer, only the old viewer who likes to fall to sleep. Hicks is better than Nantz. Johnny Miller and Nick Faldo are both really good, although I give the slight edge to Johnny. But he's down to his last year or two and I don't see Duval (if that's who they bring into replace him) doing nearly as good a job.

I don't like Nantz at all.  He gives off an elitest, I'm friends with these guys vibe that I find as arrogant and condescending. 

Edited by RFKFREAK

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

40 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

I don't like Nantz at all.  He gives off an elitest, I'm friends with these guys vibe that I find as arrogant and condescending. 

Same here. Not a fan. I like Dan Hicks. Met him earlier this year at Valspar, actually, and he's a very nice guy and I think him and Miller have really good chemistry together.

Edited by ChrisP

20 hours ago, ChrisP said:

Big fan of Duval - I still wear sunglasses based on what he used to wear when I was following golf as a teenager. I think he's probably one of those people who are more interesting when they come out of their shell, as he was always a bit guarded when at the peak of his career. Sky affiliates the various coverage from both those , so I'll look forward to Duval joining. 

On 7/31/2018 at 1:49 AM, Moxley said:

Even a PGA tour journeyman can earn $500k in an average season without getting near to winning. 

Or keeping his card if that's what he's bringing in.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/29/2018 at 9:21 PM, Vinsk said:

Well, it all exists because we love golf. We love to watch it. I’m watching to see the very best golfers on the planet, not to see a sad wiener dog get a new home with his own yard where dogs are allowed. 😀

On 7/31/2018 at 6:09 AM, Carl3 said:

And I think his (wiener dog) new home seems to be a suburban home located in central park or something crazy like that. It looks like they are taking a walk in lower Manhattan and then come across their home on a leafy residential neighborhood.   

Come on guys, this wiener dog has a name!

It's Squirt!  :beer:

I DVR all my golf so I can FF through the garbage.  Sometimes I FF the whole thing. 

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Note: This thread is 2022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!