IGNORED

Beginner Golfer from NY

Thumper696
Note: This thread is 2057 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all! I'm Greg, from Long Island, NY. I'm new to the site and the sport. I have played a few times over the last few years for fun with guys from work but thats about it. I'm taking my first lesson this week , so I'll find out how good or bad the learning curve will be...updates will be posted! I am looking forward to getting input here from those who have been in the sport for awhile, and hope to make a few friends along the way. I am 50 yrs old and retired from the FDNY, so need something to keep me in shape and have fun in the process.

Welcome to TST.  Plenty of new friends to make, both from your area and around the world.  I hope your lesson goes well.  

Unsolicited advice:  a lesson is to tell you what to practice and is not, itself, the extent of practice.  I figure since you had a physically demanding job, you probably know this on some level, but I try to tell it to new people taking lessons so they can get the most out of said lessons.

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, Thumper696 said:

Hello all! I'm Greg, from Long Island, NY. I'm new to the site and the sport. I have played a few times over the last few years for fun with guys from work but thats about it. I'm taking my first lesson this week , so I'll find out how good or bad the learning curve will be...updates will be posted! I am looking forward to getting input here from those who have been in the sport for awhile, and hope to make a few friends along the way. I am 50 yrs old and retired from the FDNY, so need something to keep me in shape and have fun in the process.

Welcome to The Sand Trap. Let us know how your lesson goes.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Ok, so after my first lesson and 2 hrs of hitting different irons I think I may have found how this can be addictive. My swing speed was lower then I thought it would be and the grip was a little un-natural. There seems like the 3 basics is where I will focus on for now. Have another lesson next week and we will see how it goes.

41 minutes ago, Thumper696 said:

There seems like the 3 basics is where I will focus on for now. Have another lesson next week and we will see how it goes.

This is a very good instinct to have.  Keep up the good work and let us know as you progress. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 hour ago, Thumper696 said:

Ok, so after my first lesson and 2 hrs of hitting different irons I think I may have found how this can be addictive. My swing speed was lower then I thought it would be and the grip was a little un-natural. There seems like the 3 basics is where I will focus on for now. Have another lesson next week and we will see how it goes.

You don't even know, haha.  Good luck!

pt: where in Long Island if you don't mind my asking.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

@Thumper696 you have a great course right by you to get better familiar with your game. Have you played Pennisula yet? Wide open course and a lot of fun. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

I have not played any course yet, I am brand new to golf. I have played for fun at a few fundraiser games while I was with the FDNY, but thats about it. I will definitely look into it as a course to play near me, many have said try Bethpage but I here it gets very crowded.

Bethpage is a pain the ass. Can’t speak about Black but the other 4 pack out in the thick of the season. Fyi Pennisula is only a 9 hole course. Great place to work on things and not feel rushed or out of place. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Welcome to TST. Always nice to meet a fellow golf nut. Good idea getting lessons. If you ever have any issues or maybe you need some explanations on something you're working on there is a 'My Swing' thread where you can post videos of your swing and get some excellent advice. This site is a golf Mecca so enjoy and again, welcome.

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:40 PM, Thumper696 said:

Can't believe you retired from the job before getting into golf. I moved from the Island 7 years ago (still go up a few months a year) and all my buddies from the FDNY were always avid players. Bethpage is a great place for you to find them... OOPs. just read the whole thread, see you mentioned Bethpage already. Sorry. When I go back up, I use GolfNow to book times at a good price. Usually play out east, even though I still have a home about a 1/4 mile from Bethpage Park, in Farmingdale.

Edited by GrandStranded

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

One more thing. Since the range on 110 closed, it's tough to find a place in your area to go hit a bucket or two. Bethpage's range is horrible. Check out the one at SUNY Farmingdale. Not too crowded, cheap, and you can work on those fundamentals of your swing before you start booking tee times. Good luck!

Edited by GrandStranded

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

13 hours ago, Thumper696 said:

I have not played any course yet, I am brand new to golf. I have played for fun at a few fundraiser games while I was with the FDNY, but thats about it. I will definitely look into it as a course to play near me, many have said try Bethpage but I here it gets very crowded.

Thanks guys I appreciate the warm welcome.

Note: This thread is 2057 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!