9 posts in this topic Last Reply

I was in Dicks the other day looking at/hitting Vokey wedges (specifically the black finish ones) and one of the golf associates warned me against getting them saying the black finish wears off after a few months of use.  Can anyone attest to this/ does anyone have the black finish Vokey wedges and can say whether or not the finish has worn off after a few months of use?

Thanks!! 

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

The black will wear at points of contact - face, sole

The brushed steel will also wear - some have reported issues.

I had the Tour Chrome ( a brushed satin) and they were holding up like new after 4 months before I sold them to an avid Titleist Golfer and playing partner.

In fainess, I will point out that Titleist is not alone in a black finish wearing off at points of contact - Miura, Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth, Titleist, et al, all wear off in a similar manner. PXG says it has a more durable black finish, but who knows until you play it.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have the "oilcan" finish on mine, and while it changes a little over time, but its still pretty similar to when they were new.  I can't say what the black finish does.

Typically black finishes on clubs will start to wear on the sole and the face; basically anywhere it contacts the ground or ball. Nothing that would change the performance of the club, but if you're concerned about keeping the clubs looking as new as possible, you might want to go in another direction.

Any finish will start to wear off eventually. The dark finishes will be more noticeable. Chrome is probably the longest lasting of any finish but it will also wear. The more the club interacts with sand, either in bunkers or coastal soils, the faster it goes. Good news is none of that will affect play, although a well worn face or sole means the grooves are also well worn.

Not a fan of the black finish. Prefer the tour chrome or raw myself. But yeah, it will wear off eventually. Like some have already said, none of it effects play at all. 

I have a black 50* vokey-- love it and I only notice the wear on the sweetspot. However the club is only 4 months old.

I have some black oxide Mizuno's that have minimal wear from 40+ rounds over the last 2 years.  Pretty tough finish on them.

My black Vokey is definitely wearing off in the spots where the ball is struck and on the sole of the club..looks ugly, but it still works great!