IGNORED

5-way vs 14-way divider Stand Bag

Note: This thread is 2066 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I am looking to pick up my first bag and I know I want a stand bag, but can't figure out if a 5 way or a 14 way bag is better. I know some will say its preference, but I am looking for feedback from those who have one or the other and why they went with that bag. I have narrowed it down to either a Ping or Titleist bag.

Do you carry, take a cart or use an push cart? 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

I've had both, and probably prefer the 5 hole over the 14 hole bags that I've had. In the cheaper bags, the club holes on the 14s are not separated down through the bag and the clubs will get stuck a bit and you have to wiggle them in, which at times gets annoying. I once had a 5 hole stand bag that I liked better. Plenty of room, and my clubs didn't seem to mind sharing a slot.

I bought a 14-hole bag this Spring that was cheap and it's functional. The reason I didn't get a 5-hole bag is that I use a push cart and the stand bags I could find that were 5-holes don't fit well into it. 

Good luck.

I prefer 5 way. 14 hole is just a gimmick. Like you said, the dividers don’t go all the way down so it’s actually more annoying when your clubs do bind.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 hole with tubes is my first choice. The tubes are sold separately. I don't carry my bag, and the shaft divisions the tubes provided is important to me. Never a sticky moment with those. My trolley does not care how much my bag weighs. 

I have had clubs get stuck no matter how the bag/club openings were designed. 

However, since the OP says a stand bag, then that makes me think he is going to carry it. So, to save weight, I'd go with a 5 divider. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

10 minutes ago, Patch said:

. My trolley does not care how much my bag weighs. 

The cart might not, but you might. I can absolutely tell how much I'm pushing. I went to a slightly lighter stand bag (maybe .5 lbs lighter) and I noticed it was easier to push immediately. I can tell when in pushing an umbrella vs when I'm not

Colin P.

My favorite dividing pattern ever was by Ogio.  Four individual wells (I used for woods), a putter well, and three larger wells.  If the non-club pockets were still working on that bag, I'd still be using it.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

8 hours ago, Shindig said:

My favorite dividing pattern ever was by Ogio.  Four individual wells (I used for woods), a putter well, and three larger wells.  If the non-club pockets were still working on that bag, I'd still be using it.  

Speaking of pockets, I don't want to carry carry things I don't need around in my bag so how many pockets seems to be the sweat spot?

I just bought a Titleist Player 14 bag. It's the first bag I have ever owned that has 14 dividers. I really like it, it's light enough for me to carry it, it sits perfectly in my Clicgear push cart, and rides great on a cart. It's the best all around bag I've ever had. In addition, it has all the pockets I need without getting ridiculous. I don't know if the dividers have anything to do with it, but my clubs are easy to extract and return, no clubs getting stuck or anything like that. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 8.35.43 AM.png

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

On 8/21/2018 at 5:38 AM, Thumper696 said:

Speaking of pockets, I don't want to carry carry things I don't need around in my bag so how many pockets seems to be the sweat spot?

I don't know.  I pack a fair bit into my bag, but it currently has only three pockets.  Yet I make do with it and carry:

* 3-4 new balls.  I don't lose that many in a round.

* Half dozen used balls so I can chip with them.  Not like anywhere I can chip has a green that reacts like the greens I play though.

* Pouch with spare wallet with some cash, sharpies, copy of rules of golf

* Pouch to put my wallet, phone, car keys in

* face cloth

* Additional water bottles (when I walk, I have a separate insulated lunch bag I carry on my cart), snacks too

* A few dozen tees, even though many are plastic and I rarely break or lose one

* Sunglasses

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

When I bougth my stand bag i have the same question and i went for the 5 holes bag. Lighter and i still can use it with my push cart.

So I have narrowed it down to these 2 bags.  Titleist  Players 5 Stand Bag or Staff Stand Bag. But I am leaning ore towards the players bag. I have thought about what everyone here has said, and I like the idea of the 5 or 6 way bag the best.

On 8/20/2018 at 10:39 PM, Shindig said:

SAME here.  Ogio Grom (the old Grom, not the newer one).  I liked the wells/ layout, and the pockets.  That was the last bag that I could fit everything inside, including rain gear.  The Ping Hoofer 14 that I currently has is ok, but not great.  I do really like the looks/ functionality of the Titleist bags also.

Driver:  :titleist: TS2 10.5* 
3-Wood: :titleist: TS2 16.5*
Irons: :titleist: T300
Wedges: :vokey: SM7 58*
Putter:  :scotty_cameron: Phantom X 6 STR

Ok, so I pulled the trigger and went with Titleist 5 way Staff Stand Bag. Got it in RED/WHITE/BLACK  for a little under $200.

I want to thank everyone for your input, it made it easier to make my choice.

Note: This thread is 2066 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!