IGNORED

How often do you go to the driving range?

La Costa Golfer
Note: This thread is 5772 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How often do you go to the range?

• Before each round....just to warm up and not to work on technique
    • Before each round to work on technique
    • Once each week
    • Twice a month
    • Monthly
    • Less than monthly
    • Never...hate the range

During the winter, once a week at most. During golf season I'll hit the range twice a week and the putting green at least once. I tend to practice more than I play. It's a bit cheaper and I can sneak away much easier when it is one or two hours at a time.

Plus I enjoy the range and working on my game.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually go to the range once or twice week. I work on my driving and wedges. I almost never seem to have a problem with my irons. I like spending most of my time in my yard chipping and putting. Short game is where I think I can cut most of my strokes.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

I try to get out to the range atleast once per week. For one reason or another, if something goes wrong during a round, I attack that problem at the range. When at the course I always head straight to the putting green to get a feel for the speed that day.
In My Bridgestone Stand Bag:

Driver: TM r7 425 TP (8.5*) Stiff
Wood: TM Ti 5 Wood (18*) Stiff
Irons: TM r7 TP Irons (3-PW) RegularGW LW: TM rac Satin TPs ( 52* 56* 60*)Putter: TM Rossa Monza Spider Balls: Bridgestone B330s

I think not enough. I went a few weeks without hitting a club and paid for it score-wise. I think at least once a week from now on, I need to go to the practice area. I'll hit a few full shots to warm up after stretches, then I'll chip and pitch the rest on the chipping green. I'll pick them up and re-chip some if I didn't feel I did it particularly well. Then I'll putt until I lose my focus, hit a few range balls on the range, and back and forth.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I think my handicap on the range must be about 1.1 and on the course about 13 more strokes -

I'm at the range 2-4 times a week and am often told I have a great swing, etc. I will always hit mid irons and driver to ensure the tempo is good. However, I now spend a lot more time practicing my pitching using Pelz's 3x4 system. Always working on distance control. The main drawback is it's off the mats, which is OK, but obviously not ideal.

The range near my home (7 minutes away) does not have a practice putting green nor a short-game area, so I only get to putt and chip before a round, which is once a week. I know I need to spend more time around the green, which will happen as the days get longer and I can get to the course (20 minutes away) either before or after work on weekdays.

If I could only translate my practice range game to the course ... (sigh ... )

--
Tee it high, let it fly!

MP-600, Fujikura E360 Stiff
Hi-Bore 1i, 2i, Stiff MP-57, DG S300 52.08, 56.08., 60.07 FISHER GOLF - CTS-1 Burgandy Insert ProV1

I find that the mats creates problems for practicing my irons as I can't take a divot (it is like hitting balls out of a hardpan trap...no fun) and it creates golfer elbow for me.

I'm hearing very good things on the new Vijay mat, and well on the way to ordering one. you should check it out.

whats in my bag,

Driver- 975D 7.5*
3 wood- 975F 13*
Irons- 2-pw Acushnet Tungsten AC-108'swedges-58* 64*putter-bag- staff I know its huge, but I dig it " I am McLovin"

Of the two courses I regularly play, one does not have a range (Sunday AM round) and the other (Wednesday PM League) I don't get there early enough to use it. For a while I was trying to get to the range weekly, but I got to busy to keep it up. I have been once over the winter and I only hit 3 balls. We took the kids and my back is still flared up so I didn't even take my clubs.

I know that if I am going to improve this year, it will take regular practice. Hopefully soon I will be my own boss and I can make the time to get there.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Not enough!! I'm joining a club this year and range IS included! If I'm not playing a round, I'll be on the range

In the bag at this point

Adams RPM 9.5°
Adams Tightlies Strong 3 16°
Adams Tightlies Strong 7 24°Hogan CFT Hybrid 3Hogan CFT irons (5-P)Alien SWCameron Futura 2 35"Top Flight Gamer

I'm hearing very good things on the new Vijay mat, and well on the way to ordering one. you should check it out.

Do you bring your own mat to the range?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• 1 month later...
Always intend to go more often, but usually end up loosening up at the range before I play
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

i usually never hit the range before i play. ill go the day before i play a round. i probably go to the range three days a week.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

I go about 3-4 times a week so I couldnt vote because my answer wasnt there.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

I play at the range 4-5 times per week. I always play one round per week, on Sundays, sometimes two. I play with this schedule, because I don't have enough time to play 5 days a week but I still would like to improve my playing. I would rather play 4-5 rounds every week and hit the range once, maybe in a perfect world.

Range mats have no bad lies and you don't get the crucial feedback of a real divot. It is OK to start out on mats but they instill bad habits in the long run.

good point tm. I take divots almost every shot and mats give me the worst feed back, i always try to hit on grass if i can.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

5 or 6 times a week. In the summer sometimes everyday. Before a round its always just to warm up, never to work on my swing. It's a bad mistake to try and work on a swing change right before a round. I hit balls after the round if there is something I need to work on in my swing.

I never just beat balls either. Always have a plan before going to the range, my father taught me that.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Note: This thread is 5772 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!