Jump to content
Diece

Journey to the Mackenzie Tour: One Amateur's Pipe Dream

289 posts / 33496 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Diece said:

Not a single pro here has created a player of any decent caliber.

That’s not really a fair or accurate way to determine an instructors’ worth. Many names you hear about simply hit the lottery ticket and had a student with enormous talent and the instructor somewhat rode the coat tails to fame. These same instructors have dozens, hundreds of students who never went to tour level. 

But for now you’ve got some fundamental flaws that need improvement. It’s not like you need an advanced instructor with TrackMan to tweak your sound swing and optimize it. You’re swinging OTT. You want the best you can afford then you go and offer to take a lesson if the fee is cut in half? Come on bro. Buy LSW. Start filming your swing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 minutes ago, Diece said:

With the driver, the average is 290ish. SS is 107, with roll I can reach 300.

I’d wager a bunch of money that at least one of those numbers is completely bogus.

You don’t average 290 with 107.

And if you did average 290… you wouldn’t have to be any longer to compete on any golf tour. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ever since I read @mvmac's write up about caddying for a pro once, I had always thought it to be a great way to gage one's true depth for either goal setting or a reality check.

 

Edited by GolfLug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I’d wager a bunch of money that at least one of those numbers is completely bogus.

You don’t average 290 with 107.

And if you did average 290… you wouldn’t have to be any longer to compete on any golf tour. 

I average 105 swing speed and my average carry it´s 250... and 180 with my 6I. 
PGA tour carry average it´s 275 and 295 with roll. 

I guess you average 260 with 107 swing speed, and you pick for your average your best shots where u nailed it and carry 280 + 20 yards of roll for that 300 yards drives.

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, Diece said:

With the driver, the average is 290ish. SS is 107, with roll I can reach 300. 

I'm really skinny though, which is why I'm working out regularly now to boost my speed and endurance.

I'd have to gain some more distance if I want to compete on the Mackenzie.

And my 6 iron, 185

Not a single pro here has created a player of any decent caliber.

If I'm gonna invest in getting taught, I'm gonna seek the best I can afford + someone I feel I can really trust. 

Thank you, I'll have to look at this more in-depth.

Another post suggested you might live in BC. BC Golf https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=BC+Golf+association&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 could be a place to start...or whatever organization covers PGA/CPGA in your zone. There are a number of teaching pros in my community who were  Web.com card holders for a while. These folks will give you a lot of great information and possibly hook you up with folks who could become your team.

My experience is limited but the few guys I know who are playing monday qualifiers don't do it on their own. Coaching, financing, someone to manage the travel side, caddies(unless the better half cn travel, caddie and plan for you)

Enjoy the ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sorry for the lack of updates.

I've been playing so bad lately that I've just been quiet.

Had a tournament yesterday and played so awful. 

I'm gonna go back on what I said here.

I need an instructor if I want to actually accomplish this goal.

No way in hell am I gonna do it through my own thinking.

Now I need to find a coach.

Looking into Evolvr for the time being.

Edited by Diece

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all have ups and downs.

Best of luck finding a worthy instructor!

I'm looking forward to hearing about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Diece said:

Looking into Evolvr for the time being.

Since you’re not real big on any local instructors in your area I think this would be a great idea. You’ll get a primary peice to work on and you’ll have set goals for your practice sessions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 8/24/2018 at 10:50 PM, Diece said:

Niagara Falls. Playing on a local tour, will be branching out more next year as I will be moving to B.C (Kelowna).

On the NY side or the Canadian side?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Since you’re not real big on any local instructors in your area I think this would be a great idea. You’ll get a primary peice to work on and you’ll have set goals for your practice sessions.

I agree.

Even though I originally was against it.

5 hours ago, SPJr said:

We all have ups and downs.

Best of luck finding a worthy instructor!

I'm looking forward to hearing about it.

Thank you, it was a pretty big realization.

2 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

On the NY side or the Canadian side?

Canadian side.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Hmmmmm…

FWIW.

Damn.

I need to get my PassPort.

______

I think a big thing that I realized this weekend is that old school players and instruction is great but the games different now. You don't see any cats getting to the top levels via their own or from following old-school methods.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Diece said:

I agree.

Even though I originally was against it.

Thank you, it was a pretty big realization.

Canadian side.

Damn.

I need to get my PassPort.

______

I think a big thing that I realized this weekend is that old school players and instruction is great but the games different now. You don't see any cats getting to the top levels via their own or from following old-school methods.

 

 

Well you're making a step in the right direction. Go to Pennsylvania.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, Diece said:

I agree.

Even though I originally was against it.

Thank you, it was a pretty big realization.

Canadian side.

Damn.

I need to get my PassPort.

______

I think a big thing that I realized this weekend is that old school players and instruction is great but the games different now. You don't see any cats getting to the top levels via their own or from following old-school methods.

 

 

For what it is worth, Evolvr is a great system for learning and inexpensive. But if you have a chance to visit with Erik, it would be even better. He is an excellent teacher. I have been using Evolvr for years, but hands on instruction is a great supplement to that.

If I lived that close to Erie, I would be there a lot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

For what it is worth, Evolvr is a great system for learning and inexpensive. But if you have a chance to visit with Erik, it would be even better. He is an excellent teacher. I have been using Evolvr for years, but hands on instruction is a great supplement to that.

If I lived that close to Erie, I would be there a lot!

If I had my Passport, I'd be there tomorrow.

But I gotta get that first.

So that's the first step.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has to be a joke. This sounds like me when I was 12yr old saying I was going to move to Germany and play top level soccer when I was old enough. I was good for the ppl I played with, but did not even have the skill to play for an NCAA team. I did have a scholarship for an NAIA school though, so yes, I had game, but not good enough to play top tier soccer. 

 

The guy said his putting sucks, his short game sucks, his wedge game sucks, he's wild off the tee.... And he thinks he's going to play professionally? 

Edited by paulballs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

35 minutes ago, paulballs said:

This has to be a joke. This sounds like me when I was 12yr old saying I was going to move to Germany and play top level soccer when I was old enough. I was good for the ppl I played with, but did not even have the skill to play for an NCAA team. I did have a scholarship for an NAIA school though, so yes, I had game, but not good enough to play top tier soccer. 

 

The guy said his putting sucks, his short game sucks, his wedge game sucks, he's wild off the tee.... And he thinks he's going to play professionally? 

Well he's apparently only about  2hrs away from Golf Evolution. Hopefully he's made some effort in the right direction. If I am to assume he was as determined as he thinks he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...