IGNORED

Stop Lying About Your Distance - It's Pissing Me Off (Rant Thread)

AltGolfer
Note: This thread is 1700 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Before you make a smug comment. Yes, it bothers me too no end. Tired of the male ego. 

Most amateur golfers averages 220 yards(yes with roll) if they are lucky.

I mean just the other day i was talking about this on reddit and some guy said I'd be lucky to hit 260 with my slow looking swing. 

Hes trying to act like this distance is a bad thing. I'd be in the top 10 percentile regarding distance against amateurs.

Seen so many people talk shit on reddit and once i browse through their history i'm able to obtain their swing video and its laughable. Ya right you carry it 280... give me a effing break.

Just stop nobody believes you swing 115 too 120 mph bro. Statistic data backs up my point. Most 0-5 handicap only averages 250 distance.

I have never ran across someone IRL who hits 300 and i play single twilight heavily and mix up with people all the time. No, that one perfect drive you muscled out their with all your might bouncing off a cart-path doesn't mean you average 300.

I've rarely ran across anyone who hit it further than i do. Usually only time this occurs was when i use to play AJGA tournaments as a junior and these guys shoot under par on the regular.

Most people also don't even read the articles provided and brush it off stating it has "old people" mixed into it. If they actually read the article it goes by handicap. That "old guy" who has a 5 handicap can out-drive your 30+ handicap ass anyday and i put my house on it.

https://mygolfspy.com/mygolfspy-labs-your-distance-reality-check/

https://blog.trackmangolf.com/performance-of-the-average-male-amateur/

data2.png

Handicap-vs-average-driver-club-speed.png

Screenshot_4.jpg

• Like 1

I mean, I feel you. There are plenty of liars and exaggerators. And plenty of honest folks have exaggerated from time to time...

But I really do hit a driver between 260-280 on well struck shots, (call it 6/10) and have hit several over 300 on the course in the short time I’ve had my new driver. - And I suck pretty bad, still. 

I slice and hook and sky-ball enough shots that my true average drive is shorter. But I can put it out there with fair regularity these days. 

And im not alone. Also, it’s probably fair to point out that anyone who CAN hit it that far, and who has seen an Internet golf forum, probably WILL mention it at a minimum, and brag about it fairly predictably. 

Maybe you do just play with short hitters. I’ve seen plenty of players better than me, but basically bogey golfers hit it well past me, and a few who are worse than me hit it further as  well. And virtually everyone who I’ve played with who shoots in the 80’s or better hits it pretty far. 

With a new-technology club that fits you.. distance isn’t terribly hard to achieve these days for lots of players at various skill levels.

Edit: To clerify, I don’t personally claim to CARRY 280. My carry is between 240-260 on the well-struck shots, with associated roll accounting for the total (obviously). 

Edited by sofingaw

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
15 minutes ago, sofingaw said:

I mean, I feel you. There are plenty of liars and exaggerators. And plenty of honest folks have exaggerated from time to time...

But I really do hit a driver between 260-280 on well struck shots, (call it 6/10) and have hit several over 300 on the course in the short time I’ve had my new driver. - And I suck pretty bad, still. 

I slice and hook and sky-ball enough shots that my true average drive is shorter. But I can put it out there with fair regularity these days. 

And im not alone. Also, it’s probably fair to point out that anyone who CAN hit it that far, and who has seen an Internet golf forum, probably WILL mention it at a minimum, and brag about it fairly predictably. 

Maybe you do just play with short hitters. I’ve seen plenty of players better than me, but basically bogey golfers hit it well past me, and a few who are worse than me hit it further as  well. And virtually everyone who I’ve played with who shoots in the 80’s or better hits it pretty far. 

With a new-technology club that fits you.. distance isn’t terribly hard to achieve these days for lots of players at various skill levels.

Let's say you actually average out to 270 yds. That would require around 105 MPH swing. Which doesn't factor in smash factor/angle. By being a 34 handicap you don't have the fundamentals/mechanics to achieve a consistent strike. The distance your proposing to me is of someone who swings at 120 MPH+ Since you claim you hit it 300 at times. Damn didn't know you swung faster than Tiger Woods. Why aren't your friends and you on tour? Should be smashing it 350 down the fairway.

Your exactly what im talking about in my rant thread. All the articles i listed are not even 2 years old. 

I guess all the statistically data over 20,000 golfers on trackman and what-not are bullshit and your friends and you are the 0.1% minority?

Edited by AltGolfer

Why do you care so much? If people want to lie to themselves, that's their problem.

I'm actually a bigger fan of using the median as an indicator of typical driving distance because the mean is influenced too heavily by large differences in the tail end of the numbers. This being golf, you're going see a much larger difference from a shot shorter than normal dispersion than longer so the egregious mis-hit has a disproportionately high influence on the outcome.

• Like 5

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, billchao said:

Why do you care so much? If people want to lie to themselves, that's their problem.

I'm actually a bigger fan of using the median as an indicator of typical driving distance because the mean is influenced too heavily by large differences in the tail end of the numbers. This being golf, you're going see a much larger difference from a shot shorter than normal dispersion than longer so the egregious mis-hit has a disproportionately high influence on the outcome.

Why do you care if i care so much? It's my problem not yours?

Just now, AltGolfer said:

Why do you care if i care so much? It's my problem not yours?

I don't. It's just a question and you seem awfully aggressive about it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I probably do have a 105 mph driver swing on my best shots, yes. I’m only 31 years old, and I’m  6’2, with long arms, and I am definitley swing a 6i between 86-90 mph. Puts me in that category, yes. 

Again, I’m not carrying 300 or claiming so. Probably carrying 240-260, then adding roll. On a downhill hole? Yeah, that could be 300+. (And has been, a couple of times.) 

None of that is unreasonable. 

Sorry that you seem so upset that you can’t hit is so far, or whatever. Perhaps a driver fitting would help you? I don’t know. 

6 minutes ago, sofingaw said:

I probably do have a 105 mph driver swing on my best shots, yes. I’m only 31 years old, and I’m  6’2, with long arms, and I am definitley swing a 6i between 86-90 mph. Puts me in that category, yes. 

Again, I’m not carrying 300 or claiming so. Probably carrying 240-260, then adding roll. On a downhill hole? Yeah, that could be 300+. (And has been, a couple of times.) 

None of that is unreasonable. 

Sorry that you seem so upset that you can’t hit is so far, or whatever. Perhaps a driver fitting would help you? I don’t know. 

I propose we go play some screen golf.

If you can average that i'll pay for the game and buy you a drink. Im actually pretty close too you.

6:24 PM right now here.

11 minutes ago, billchao said:

I don't. It's just a question and you seem awfully aggressive about it.

Cause its my rant thread and i can cry and whine if i want too.

Also, as I mentioned, but your roid-rage or whatever failed to read:

I hit enough shitty shots (OB, tops, sky-balls) to drop my true average quite a bit. Probably more like the 220 or even less that you mentioned. This (among other things) would help account for the atrocious HC index I hold. 

Think of it like this: I “SMASH” a down-hiller 290-300 (fairly easy swing for me, FWIW), then on the next hole, hook one into Narnia OB.

Guess what? 

My driving average is now 140-150. 

But on any given swing, with possibly 50% accuracy, I can very likely hit it as far, or further than you. No sweat. 

It’s not ‘male ego’ or lying. It’s just real life. 

I’m down for screen golf! You in Japan? I live in Yokosuka. 

• Upvote 1

(edited)
10 minutes ago, sofingaw said:

Also, as I mentioned, but your roid-rage or whatever failed to read:

I hit enough shitty shots (OB, tops, sky-balls) to drop my true average quite a bit. Probably more like the 220 or even less that you mentioned. This (among other things) would help account for the atrocious HC index I hold. 

Think of it like this: I “SMASH” a down-hiller 290-300 (fairly easy swing for me, FWIW), then on the next hole, hook one into Narnia OB.

Guess what? 

My driving average is now 140-150. 

But on any given swing, with possibly 50% accuracy, I can very likely hit it as far, or further than you. No sweat. 

It’s not ‘male ego’ or lying. It’s just real life. 

I’m down for screen golf! You in Japan? I live in Yokosuka. 

You stated you hit 260/280 out of 6/10 shots. Basically proclaiming that is your average.

Hitting couple of solid shots doesn't equate too hitting it 260/280. That's your POTENTIONAL.

I hit it 300 before too.. You don't seem me going around stating i hit 300.

I average 265-270 off the tee(with roll), but that's what i CONSISTENTLY hit every time i hit the ball.

I'm not trying to be "roid-rage" or "aggressive". I'm just ummm "passionate" about the game.

Yes, im down to play. Got a number? Pm me it.. maybe we can setup something.

Edited by AltGolfer

No, not ‘basically proclaiming that was my average’, because, the other 4 shots are off the course (effectively zero yards, or even -150 as far as my average is concerned, depending on how you see it.) or 50-75 yards in front of me or something.

6/10 is not ‘a couple of shots’ either, though.

It is my potential, but it’s not some extreme upper limit that I’m practically incapable of actually pulling off. It’s a very regular, (if not truly average) result.

If you’re able to get to Yoko, message me at 070-1260-3145, Japanese number, so you’ll have to enter the country code or whatever, without a Japanese carrier. 

Edited by sofingaw

And I’ll pay for your round and buy you a drink, too if I can’t substantiate my claims! 

We can play on a real course if you like, as well. Any game, I’m down. :beer:

Edited by sofingaw

I have always golfed with the attitude to not let other's game, claims, or conversations manipulate my own game.

I really don't give a rat's butt what others say, or do. Unless of course they are some how entertaining  in their personal antics. 

As for claims on one's distance, expect some are legit, while others are not.Manufacturers of golf equipment, in my book, are just as guilty of stretching the truth about their goods as some players are. Bottom line is; who cares?. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Very interesting I know for sure when I've made the comment on some of my driving distances (60-70% on average) many I'm sure don't believe I reached 300yds+ at times which is fine ... Jeez I've played at Club days and other guys have talked me out of using a club as they think I'm dreaming to make the distance with my club selection...I'm only 170-180lbs 5,11 guess adds to thought 

What I don't get is on the likes of "Myflightscope"  where from 3 drives my longest was 248 yards(using the old driving range balls) swing speed-114mph ...

Yet on the course when your 2nd shot on a par 4 -350yards and you a light SW onto the green just speaks a different tune ...personal I think much comes down to your equipment and course ground hardness Links Vs softer parkland courses

Edited by NZ Golfer

Go Foxy Go

@AltGolfer

Lying bothers me too, but I just laugh at these types instead of getting mad.

I played a round a few weeks back with this guy who fancied himself a long hitter. He was waiting to hit to the green on a par 5 and was about 250 out. He said he was waiting because he hits his 5 wood 240. I routinely outdrove him off the tee with my driver by 20 yards the whole round and I carry about 210-220 now. I just smiled, turned to my buddy and rolled my eyes. He topped his 5 wood. 😂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, sofingaw said:

Also, it’s probably fair to point out that anyone who CAN hit it that far, and who has seen an Internet golf forum, probably WILL mention it at a minimum, and brag about it fairly predictably

As they should. Its an athletic feat that most people will never achieve.  Mostly cause they are lazy and scrawny like op and refuse to hit the gym :banana:. (/s)

ps. Last round I averaged 300 off the tee on my drives. I hit 3 drives and was 2 under on those holes. Did I mention it was meters? :-D

35 minutes ago, Patch said:

I really don't give a rat's butt what others say, or do. Unless of course they are some how entertaining  in their personal antics. 

Pretty much my opinion. Plus, I’ve seen a few guys who have an overall poor game but can consistently hit long drives. Not common but it does occur.

Jon

9 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

Pretty much my opinion. Plus, I’ve seen a few guys who have an overall poor game but can consistently hit long drives. Not common but it does occur.

Too right ... I'm one and it pisses me off to no end sweet long drive to then av. two chips onto the green and 2-3 putts arrghhhh !!!!! (breaks putter!!!) ... Ever since I started Golf hitting the driver was the best part of my game... Now if I could just sort out the rest of my game

Go Foxy Go

Note: This thread is 1700 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!