IGNORED

Very soft & cheap golf ball for practice

Note: This thread is 2059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My wrist arthritis has suddenly got a worse of late (fwiw, the underlying cause is a previous injury, not age (I'm 35)), and golfing is something that really aggravates it. Alas, it's my hobby , and I don't want to stop. 

I generally find that I'm able to play with only slight/moderate pain, but a range session will cause a lot more problems. The rock hard range balls probably don't help.  Luckily, my course has a large practice area where you can take your own balls to. I figure that If I'm able to lessen the impact as much as possible, I should be able to do some limited practice without incurring the range like symptoms. 

So, what I think I need is a golf ball that is cheap (I will still lose some of these!) but also very soft. Any recommendations? 

Also, I know this is the balls forum, but any other tips on dampening the feel of poor impact would be helpful. Do thicker grips tend to help more or less than graphite shafts? 

Thanks in advance. 

I think the ‘Noodle’ ball is soft and cheap. As far as graphite/larger grips I believe you’d have to experiment to know that for sure. People with arthritic hands have gotten relief from larger grips so being it’s your wrists you may just have to experiment. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Moxley said:

My wrist arthritis has suddenly got a worse of late (fwiw, the underlying cause is a previous injury, not age (I'm 35)), and golfing is something that really aggravates it. Alas, it's my hobby , and I don't want to stop. 

I generally find that I'm able to play with only slight/moderate pain, but a range session will cause a lot more problems. The rock hard range balls probably don't help.  Luckily, my course has a large practice area where you can take your own balls to. I figure that If I'm able to lessen the impact as much as possible, I should be able to do some limited practice without incurring the range like symptoms. 

So, what I think I need is a golf ball that is cheap (I will still lose some of these!) but also very soft. Any recommendations? 

Also, I know this is the balls forum, but any other tips on dampening the feel of poor impact would be helpful. Do thicker grips tend to help more or less than graphite shafts? 

Thanks in advance. 

Are you hitting of mats? That may contribute more than the ball.

I wear a wrist brace when I hit off mats. The compression and support helps reduce the strain of hitting off mats.  I use the one below (Shock Doctor Wrist 3-Strap Support). It has stays that can be removed. I got it when I had a wrist injury last year. I tried a bunch and this one worked best because you can adjust how tight it is and it doesn't affect your grip.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/shock-doctor-wrist-3-strap-support-fa12sdwrstspprtlng/fa12sdwrstspprtlng

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, Moxley said:

Do thicker grips tend to help more or less than graphite shafts? 

I think both help. I have RA. Also have Tacki-Mac arthritic grips (oversize between mid and jumbo) AND graphite AND wrist braces AND Bionic gloves on both hands. I have found I can do without the gloves now that I have the grips, but I like them. My doc also prescribed a new pain mgt med, not opiate, that really works. Good luck; this arthritis stuff doesn't have to ruin your life. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

(over size) Avalon Chamois Grips, Calloway Super Soft Ball

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Probably cost prohibitive, but there use to be an item available called Sensicore Inserts. They were designed to be placed in the shaft to absorb the vibration caused when hitting the ball. Worked with metal, and graphite shafts to protect the golfer's hands/wrists from excessive vibration. 

Have not heard much about this item for quite a while. It may not even be available anymore. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Thank you for the suggestions. 

@boogielicious thanks for the brace recommendation - I had thought of this in the past but the only one I had interfered with my grip, but apparently this one doesn't do , so it will be worth a try. 

@MarvChamp good suggestion on the grips , I enquired at my club and there's a few in stock so will try the crossover which needs regripping (and is the club that gives me the most pain) to see how it works. 

Thanks also for the ball suggestions, Supersoft look good although a bit pricey for practice balls. That said, there isn't anything much cheaper. 

Wilson Duo. Not super cheap but you can probably find for 15-20/ dozen. Very soft.

I bought some last year models at Dicks around December 17 for $7/dozen.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

On 8/29/2018 at 3:59 AM, Moxley said:

Thank you for the suggestions. 

@boogielicious thanks for the brace recommendation - I had thought of this in the past but the only one I had interfered with my grip, but apparently this one doesn't do , so it will be worth a try. 

@MarvChamp good suggestion on the grips , I enquired at my club and there's a few in stock so will try the crossover which needs regripping (and is the club that gives me the most pain) to see how it works. 

Thanks also for the ball suggestions, Supersoft look good although a bit pricey for practice balls. That said, there isn't anything much cheaper. 

Try Golfworks.com They have the first generation Maxfli SoftFli balls on sale for 7.99/dozen. I bought some last year for the Grand kids. I gave a few to some of my friends and they all said they were "way too soft!" I've only putted them. They are 35 Compression. Hope they work for you.

Edited by BogeySwine

While not the same weight as a true golf ball, a lighter limited flight ball, such as the Brush-t (discontinued) or Almost Golf is easy on the wrists.  There is very little feel from impact.

I've never hit the Almost Golf balls, but I hit the Brush-t ones.  They go 30%-40% in distance of a real golf ball.  But you can hook, slice, chunk them just like the real thing.  

Since I'm more of a sweeper, (and I hit in different areas in the back of the school yard), I'll go down the the school behind us as hit a tube of them a number of times.

It is really good for working on timing or just trying to smooth things out because if you rip it you may only get 5 more yards than a nice smooth swing.

Hard to stroke the ego ripping that 3W 80 yards... lol.

John

Edited by 70sSanO

@Moxley cheap and soft? try Slazenger Ultrasoft from Sports Direct. £6.50 per dozen and their softest ball. Same factory that makes Srixon Ultisoft so similar but cheaper look.

For dedicated practice balls try the Callaway HX practice balls from Amazon. Soft, limited flight and not bad price.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Wilson 50/50 elite. Soft and cheap.

DRIVER- Tour Edge EXS 220
3W- Adams Tight Lies 2
Hybrids- Cobra F8 19 *

Utility- Sub 70 699U #4
Irons - Sub 70 739 5-PW
Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58
Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11

Ball- Titleist DT Trufeel

Note: This thread is 2059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!