IGNORED

Trouble With Irons

Mark_k
Note: This thread is 2049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am having a terrible time hitting my irons. My problem is standing up on my back swing. I have tried the pull the rope method on my swing, but still having issues. What is the best method to overcome this issue? Thank you 

Really hard to know without seeing you swing, even a video of you. Best guess is that you might not be turning but just swaying. 

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Like @MrGolfguy67said its hard to tell without seeing your swing. Starting a My swing thread would be a gould way to go, plenty of good golfers on here to help. I personally had issues with standing up in the backswing. Two things sorted me out, turning the left shoulder down at the start and shortening my backswing. Different strokes for different folks though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Again, video.

But if you are standing up on the BS, then you may need to experiment with other feels...you might have to *feel* like your head is moving down and to the left on the BS for it to actually stay somewhat in place

Colin P.

12 hours ago, Mark_k said:

I am having a terrible time hitting my irons. My problem is standing up on my back swing. I have tried the pull the rope method on my swing, but still having issues. What is the best method to overcome this issue? Thank you 

Do you actually stand up? Have you seen this on video?

Start a My Swing thread, and show a DTL angle.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Agree completely about a swing video. For me, good iron play seems to revolve around making a good turn.

My default bad habit is to cut the turn short and just slap at the ball with my hands. I get a pretty predictable low trajectory pull shot followed by comments which I then must apologize for to my playing partners.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8  clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

On 9/4/2018 at 3:12 AM, RussUK said:

Two things sorted me out, turning the left shoulder down at the start and shortening my backswing.

Yes...When I returned to golf, the instructor had me work on side bend going back and thru and staying in posture. He said a common fault. When I am able to practice now, I remember this; I also try to be aware of shaft position as relates to my right shoulder. Best,-Marv 

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Try to not go so far back on the BS.

My fiancee was having this problem over the weekend.  I gently coached her into taking a smaller BS and she straightened out her shots and picked up distance.

FWIW

Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

Take a look at your face on swing. First key is 'steady head.' You have quite a bit of head movement as you are 'swaying' in your backswing. Watch it in slow motion. Mark a line on edge of your head and you'll how much it is moving. I don't know how to draw lines and return the video to you so someone more tech savvy will have to do that. Also, we have a 'My Swing' that you can post videos of your swing in and get great advice.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

7 hours ago, Mark_k said:

What’s the best way to practice to keep my head from moving so much?

And this:

Edited by Vinsk
  • Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

What about narrowing your stance. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

• iacas changed the title to Trouble With Irons
Note: This thread is 2049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!