Doug Sands

Sand Traps - That's Not Right!!

47 posts / 5154 viewsLast Reply

On 10/6/2018 at 9:00 AM, Doug Sands said:

In PGA school if you said "sand trap " they put a giant mouse trap in front of you until someone else said that term.  Now you know 

In the Marines if you referred to your firearm the wrong way you would be entitled to stand outside your barracks, buck naked, and recite the following;

"This is my rifle, I called it my gun. That's why I'm standing bare assed in the Sun!"

I've never been to PGA school, so it seems a big nit-picky to me. We also call them litter boxes and "the beach".

While reading The Open by John Feinstein, he related an instance where one of the USGA honchos got a little exercised about someone referring to "pins" on the course. "There are no pins on a golf course! There are flagsticks!"

So what is it? A hole or a cup? Discuss.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

8 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I use a cup for drinking tea not consuming tees.

Edited by Rulesman

On 10/17/2018 at 6:15 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

In the Marines if you referred to your firearm the wrong way you would be entitled to stand outside your barracks, buck naked, and recite the following;

"This is my rifle, I called it my gun. That's why I'm standing bare assed in the Sun!"

I've never been to PGA school, so it seems a big nit-picky to me. We also call them litter boxes and "the beach".

When I was in the Army the ditty was slightly different:

"This is my rifle, this is my gun.  One is for killing, the other's for fun."  

While reading The Open by John Feinstein, he related an instance where one of the USGA honchos got a little exercised about someone referring to "pins" on the course. "There are no pins on a golf course! There are flagsticks!"

It's hole with a liner.  Neither the hole nor the liner is a "cup".   And the flagstick is not a "pin".  I only worry about the distinction when discussing applicable rules, mostly to ensure clarity.  When I'm playing with my buddies, "pin" and "cup" are terms we use most often by far. 

However, I use "bunker" pretty much all the time - it's just become habit for me.  "Sand trap" just doesn't sound right to my ear - doesn't bother me when someone says it, I just prefer not to.

1 hour ago, Fourputt said:

It's hole with a liner.  Neither the hole nor the liner is a "cup".

You can see how the metal or plastic hole liner thing is shaped like a "cup" at least, though. Except for the fact that the bottom usually has one or more holes and it would make for a very poor actual cup. 😄

But I'm with you on the distinction when talking about rules versus casual conversations. Casually it's "where's the pin?" but officially it's "what's the hole location on the seventh green?"

1 hour ago, Fourputt said:

However, I use "bunker" pretty much all the time - it's just become habit for me.  "Sand trap" just doesn't sound right to my ear - doesn't bother me when someone says it, I just prefer not to.

I almost never say "sand trap" outside of talking about this site, either.

BTW… this is funny, on this topic:

Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 12.20.07 PM.png

Wrong kind of "traps" there. :-)

Well I'm glad that generated a "Shop Related Products Ad"....cuz those are exactly what I've been looking for....

Ooooooooo that's what they are called. I always thought they were called fu$&!!!!!!  I mean that's all I ever hear them called when it goes in there 🤣

On 11/25/2018 at 8:59 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

Interesting that this thread was started by a guy with the last name of "Sands"!

I'm waiting for a guy named 'Hazard" to post about water hazards.

21 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I'm waiting for a guy named 'Hazard" to post about water hazards.

Sometimes I just think its the same guy....