Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ChetlovesMer

What do you do when your driver isn't working?

What do you do when the driver is just not working?  

64 members have voted

  1. 1. When your driver is not working for what ever reason what do you do?

    • Work through it... Damn, the torpedoes full speed ahead. Keep hitting it on every non-par 3 no matter what.
      18
    • Still use the driver but slow down the swing.
      14
    • Start hitting a move I call a "Bunt Driver" or "Punch Driver", if you've done it, you know what it is.
      4
    • Tee off with a 3 wood, hybrid or iron for the rest of the round.
      24
    • Give up and go home... possibly cry.
      4


47 posts / 4138 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

When my driver goes bad, it becomes unpredictable for shot planning sp I put it away, unless I'm playing a course with adjacent fairways. (Push-fade/slice into extreme rough/OBs  or pull-hook straight OBs with 0 chance of finding)

It sucks but even when my driver goes bad, my 15* 3wood and 21* hybrid are still straight and easily playable. Guess the 4* difference is enough to go from playable to unplayable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

Interesting, just watched a video on the bunt drive.  I can think of a variety of times it might be used in future rounds.  New idea and concept for me.  Don't think I had ever heard the term

Need to watch the video I saw a few more times and take this idea to the range to try it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To start with, accept with that shooting in the 80's is probably not going to happen, and then manage it hole by hole - where I can away with it, I'll play for a workable miss , and on holes where I can't, club down.

I'm currently working on my hybrid from the tee at the moment , on the basis that it's a different swing and just about long enough for some holes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My driver gets the same pass that all my other clubs do.  I chalk it up to operator error and play on.  My clubs are not responsible for when I use them or how the shot turns out.  The only known cure for a poorly struck drive is a well struck drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 hours ago, scotth said:

Interesting, just watched a video on the bunt drive.  I can think of a variety of times it might be used in future rounds.  New idea and concept for me.  Don't think I had ever heard the term

Need to watch the video I saw a few more times and take this idea to the range to try it out.

I've also seen it called "The Bullet Drive". Some people will use the Bullet and the Bomb as their terminology for the different swings. I've been using it for a long time, I learned to play on links style courses where I think it's a pretty common technique. 

15 hours ago, Moxley said:

To start with, accept with that shooting in the 80's is probably not going to happen, 

Do you mean on that day, or ever? 

The reason I ask is if you accept that you'll never break 80, I would think that would become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

 

Do you mean on that day, or ever? 

The reason I ask is if you accept that you'll never break 80, I would think that would become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

 

I mean on the day. To be more specific, I'm meaning mid 80's (i.e. shooting my handicap) - since my handicap is primarily an indicator of my better rounds, I know those rounds are ones where I've driven the ball pretty well and not had a problem with lost balls and so on. Rather than getting frustrated that I won't shoot that figure or start playing silly golf, I generally revise my aims around what I can achieve if I go for GIR+1 on non par 3's for the rest of the round. For some people it's all or nothing but I personally don't enjoy blowout rounds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Moxley said:

 

I mean on the day. To be more specific, I'm meaning mid 80's (i.e. shooting my handicap) - since my handicap is primarily an indicator of my better rounds, I know those rounds are ones where I've driven the ball pretty well and not had a problem with lost balls and so on. Rather than getting frustrated that I won't shoot that figure or start playing silly golf, I generally revise my aims around what I can achieve if I go for GIR+1 on non par 3's for the rest of the round. For some people it's all or nothing but I personally don't enjoy blowout rounds. 

I get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I heard a good one the other day from my playing partner. He hit an errant ball with his driver. His self comment was "should have called Uber on that one". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I usually work through it. I have shot zones for a reason. Sometimes I will miss my shot zone (if I follow LSW I should miss roughly 20% of the time), and I just have to accept that and work on swing in practice to make my shot zone smaller. 

With all that said, I have clubbed down depending on the miss and if something is just really off in my swing that day and I need make the rare sacrifice of distance for accuracy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...