IGNORED

What do you do when your driver isn't working?

ChetlovesMer
Note: This thread is 2014 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What do you do when the driver is just not working?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. When your driver is not working for what ever reason what do you do?

• Work through it... Damn, the torpedoes full speed ahead. Keep hitting it on every non-par 3 no matter what.
    • Still use the driver but slow down the swing.
    • Start hitting a move I call a "Bunt Driver" or "Punch Driver", if you've done it, you know what it is.
    • Tee off with a 3 wood, hybrid or iron for the rest of the round.
    • Give up and go home... possibly cry.

When my driver goes bad, it becomes unpredictable for shot planning sp I put it away, unless I'm playing a course with adjacent fairways. (Push-fade/slice into extreme rough/OBs  or pull-hook straight OBs with 0 chance of finding)

It sucks but even when my driver goes bad, my 15* 3wood and 21* hybrid are still straight and easily playable. Guess the 4* difference is enough to go from playable to unplayable.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Interesting, just watched a video on the bunt drive.  I can think of a variety of times it might be used in future rounds.  New idea and concept for me.  Don't think I had ever heard the term

Need to watch the video I saw a few more times and take this idea to the range to try it out.

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

To start with, accept with that shooting in the 80's is probably not going to happen, and then manage it hole by hole - where I can away with it, I'll play for a workable miss , and on holes where I can't, club down.

I'm currently working on my hybrid from the tee at the moment , on the basis that it's a different swing and just about long enough for some holes. 

My driver gets the same pass that all my other clubs do.  I chalk it up to operator error and play on.  My clubs are not responsible for when I use them or how the shot turns out.  The only known cure for a poorly struck drive is a well struck drive.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

15 hours ago, scotth said:

Interesting, just watched a video on the bunt drive.  I can think of a variety of times it might be used in future rounds.  New idea and concept for me.  Don't think I had ever heard the term

Need to watch the video I saw a few more times and take this idea to the range to try it out.

I've also seen it called "The Bullet Drive". Some people will use the Bullet and the Bomb as their terminology for the different swings. I've been using it for a long time, I learned to play on links style courses where I think it's a pretty common technique. 

15 hours ago, Moxley said:

To start with, accept with that shooting in the 80's is probably not going to happen, 

Do you mean on that day, or ever? 

The reason I ask is if you accept that you'll never break 80, I would think that would become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Do you mean on that day, or ever? 

The reason I ask is if you accept that you'll never break 80, I would think that would become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I mean on the day. To be more specific, I'm meaning mid 80's (i.e. shooting my handicap) - since my handicap is primarily an indicator of my better rounds, I know those rounds are ones where I've driven the ball pretty well and not had a problem with lost balls and so on. Rather than getting frustrated that I won't shoot that figure or start playing silly golf, I generally revise my aims around what I can achieve if I go for GIR+1 on non par 3's for the rest of the round. For some people it's all or nothing but I personally don't enjoy blowout rounds. 

50 minutes ago, Moxley said:

I mean on the day. To be more specific, I'm meaning mid 80's (i.e. shooting my handicap) - since my handicap is primarily an indicator of my better rounds, I know those rounds are ones where I've driven the ball pretty well and not had a problem with lost balls and so on. Rather than getting frustrated that I won't shoot that figure or start playing silly golf, I generally revise my aims around what I can achieve if I go for GIR+1 on non par 3's for the rest of the round. For some people it's all or nothing but I personally don't enjoy blowout rounds. 

I get it.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I heard a good one the other day from my playing partner. He hit an errant ball with his driver. His self comment was "should have called Uber on that one". 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I usually work through it. I have shot zones for a reason. Sometimes I will miss my shot zone (if I follow LSW I should miss roughly 20% of the time), and I just have to accept that and work on swing in practice to make my shot zone smaller. 

With all that said, I have clubbed down depending on the miss and if something is just really off in my swing that day and I need make the rare sacrifice of distance for accuracy. 

Note: This thread is 2014 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!