ChetlovesMer

What do you do when your driver isn't working?

What do you do when the driver is just not working?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. When your driver is not working for what ever reason what do you do?

• Work through it... Damn, the torpedoes full speed ahead. Keep hitting it on every non-par 3 no matter what.
    • Still use the driver but slow down the swing.
    • Start hitting a move I call a "Bunt Driver" or "Punch Driver", if you've done it, you know what it is.
    • Tee off with a 3 wood, hybrid or iron for the rest of the round.
    • Give up and go home... possibly cry.

47 posts / 3234 viewsLast Reply

We've all had those days. The driver is a mess. Maybe you're snap hooking it off every tee, maybe slicing it 2 fairways over, maybe just spraying it all over. What do you do?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I go to my 3 for the remainder of the round and work out the problem at the DR. 

Go home and cry it´s tempting but i enjoy been on the course so I figth back and keep trying to hit it.

I am not a long hitter by any means but my driver is probably my most consistent club.  In fact it is the only wood that I carry.  I just remind myself to not try to kill the ball and most of my drives stay in play about 190 - 210 yards out.  

Work through it while I continue rolling dice. Have been doing it for years so why stop now?..:-)

For one thing it is the only club I can hit over 200 yards 80% of the time even if it is in the trees. Without it I would be left with 170+ on approach on majority of par 4s even if I hit every fairway with a long iron/hybrid (I wouldn't). I get up and down 1 out of 5 times from that kinda distance. So yeah, that's a no go right of the bat. 

Depends on the match. If I'm up, I'll change to something I can put in the fairway (putter?). If I need to win a hole, tee it high and pray.

I'll take a video to see if there's something glaring going on. Guessing that's not gonna work for some. I'm more from analytical stock. 

Put on my hiking pants and choke down on the 4 iron...I'll have some work to do from the woods.

Seriously though...do a few more slow practice swings to really exaggerate working my right elbow down and keeping the left wrist flat through the downswing.  Hopefully that corrects me for the next tee shot.

Edited by Foot Wedge
Decided to add a serious part

No multiple choice? My answer depends on a number of factors.

If it's just the one round, I'll work through it if the miss is playable and if it's not, I'll go to the bunt drive. 

If it's a lingering issue over multiple rounds, I'll start teeing off with different clubs.

If it's anything like I've been dealing with recently where I snap hook everything longer than my 4i and even my "good" shots curve 40 yards and don't get more than 20 yards off the ground, I don't even bother playing at all.

I curl up in the fetal position right there on the tee and softly cry myself to sleep,

or....

Lie to my playing partners that it hardly ever happens ‘cause normally I stripe it 300 yards right down the middle.

Seriously, I slow down the swing and continue to use the driver.

Depends on how it's misbehaving that day.

If I just can't make good contact and it's unpredictable and not getting better after a couple holes: Hello, 5-wood.

If it's giving me decent distance (by my standards) but my fade is turning into a slice: Keep it in play and allow for my miss.