IGNORED

Looking for a New Golf Ball

Note: This thread is 1670 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I wish Titleist still offered the NXT Tour it was a 3-piece under $35. I was disappointed when I discovered all their 3-piece (or more) balls are $45+.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 hours ago, 308 Ragin Cajun said:

Try the Callaway Superhot 70-3 PC Ball,. Ionomer cover. Feels good off the clubface, behaves well on the green. $29.99 for 15 ($28.00 at Walmart).

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely check those out. I really like Callaway as a brand. 

On 10/15/2018 at 5:18 PM, Sean_D said:

I don't have a problem with the ball "running out" as it is always within 3 feet of its pitch mark (even on 200 yard 3H approach shots) and most time behind its mark.

3 hours ago, Sean_D said:

I played a round Monday with a found Titleist Pro V1X. I shot well (9-strokes better than my previous best at that course). I felt the Pro V1X spun a little too much for my swing. Shots I normally hit 150 yards were traveling 140 or less. The ball seemed to fly a bit higher than my usual 3-piece TF Gamer. I liked the V1X off the driver. It has a really good feel and I hit my normal distances. 

So you're a 24 handicap but you have the ability to get 200 yd hybrid approach shots to stop within 3 feet of the pitch mark every time and can hit approach/iron shots consistently enough to tell that the Pro V1X is spinning too much and that is causing you to lose distance?

Doesn't quite add up to me.

I've played a couple Snell balls and haven't been able to tell a difference between them and a ProV1.

If you can wait about a month, most retailers have black friday deals, last year I got buy one get one free on Callaway Chromesofts, and was gifted 3 dozed Callaway Diablo Tour that was on a black friday deal for $40

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

24 minutes ago, klineka said:

So you're a 24 handicap but you have the ability to get 200 yd hybrid approach shots to stop within 3 feet of the pitch mark every time and can hit approach/iron shots consistently enough to tell that the Pro V1X is spinning too much and that is causing you to lose distance?

Quite. No 24 handicapper on earth plays like that.

The 200 yd 3H was a single shot where my ball was within three feet of it''s mark and the only one I have made like that. Most of the shots to which I referred are from 150 and in, and I miss more greens than I hit. But when I hit them, the ball is usually right there next to its mark. The spinning is my hypothesis, I may be wrong, but when hitting similarly struck iron shots between my regular 3-piece and the V1X from 150 and in, the V1X was shorter. I know the V1X is designed for higher spin on shorter shots, so my hypothesis does not seem unreasonable, to me. I have been taking lessons at least twice a month all year and have gone from shooting in the 130s to the low to mid 90s with a low score of 88 a few weeks ago. I may be a 24 now, but I am moving lower quickly.

Thanks for the recommendation on the holiday sales. I am planning on purchasing (and receiving as Christmas gifts) during the offseason and testing when the weather permits (in Northern CA that should be pretty often). By the time my league starts in April, I hope to have my ball for the 2019 season sorted out.

Another vote for Snell here. They are actually having a sale right now. I ordered the 6 pack last night.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

For those who have endorsed Snell, I am ordering a dozen of those at the start of November (Have to wait for payday) and they will be the ball I try/test first. Thanks again to all who have participated in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently started volunteering at the local muni course. For 7 hours a month of volunteering, I receive full access to the course, driving range and golf carts. So, last night I decided to get two of the golf balls on my list and compare them head to head in a single elimination style competition. I went down to Dick's and purchased a dozen Bridgestone E6 Softs, and a dozen Srixon Q-Star Tours. I spent just over $40 for golf balls.

To test the balls out I played a 9-hole scramble between the two balls. I will continue pitting these two balls against each other for a couple of weeks just to be sure my impressions of the balls are not overly influenced by small sample size bias.

From last night (A night when I didn't hit the ball particularly well) I definitely noticed two significant differences between the two balls.

1 - I hit the E6 further than the QST on just about every shot. I can only think of one instance where I hit the QST further was a shot I pulled way left, while I hit the E6 pretty much on my target line.

2 - The QST stopped faster and rolled out less than the E6 on every shot into and around the green.

To me the feel/sound and putting the two balls are very similar to each other. I will continue to pit these to balls against each other. If I had to make a choice now... It would be tough ( I still need to play each ball more) I liked that the E6 went further but didn't like watching it roll off the green. I liked finding the QST right next to its mark on each successful shot onto the green. If I could hit the E6 off the tee and then play the QST from there, I would choose that. But after the first inning, the QST is slightly in the lead.

you could check out the Maxfli U/Fli or U/speed ,  right now GG / Dicks has them @ 20$ per dozen.....    I've found when my swing is good hitting their premium balls like the U/6  is unreal, i can get the ball to check up and bring it back sometimes 20ft on slow muni-greens......  And i am by no means a good player...    

It is what it is

Check out Cut Golf. I've played a couple of rounds now with their 3-piece, matte finish, yellow, ball and honestly can't tell any difference between the Cut ball and the Volvik Vivids or Callaway's Superhot Bold...$19.99/dozen online direct from the manufacturer or Rock Bottom...they make white ones too. 😉

www.cutgolf.co/collections/golf-balls

• Like 1

:ping:   Ping G30 - Driver       

Ping G Series - 3w & 5w 

Ping G5 - 7w & 5-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52*, 56*, 60*

Ping Sigma 2 Fetch putter

On 11/7/2018 at 10:54 AM, Sean_D said:

I recently started volunteering at the local muni course. For 7 hours a month of volunteering, I receive full access to the course, driving range and golf carts. So, last night I decided to get two of the golf balls on my list and compare them head to head in a single elimination style competition. I went down to Dick's and purchased a dozen Bridgestone E6 Softs, and a dozen Srixon Q-Star Tours. I spent just over $40 for golf balls.

To test the balls out I played a 9-hole scramble between the two balls. I will continue pitting these two balls against each other for a couple of weeks just to be sure my impressions of the balls are not overly influenced by small sample size bias.

From last night (A night when I didn't hit the ball particularly well) I definitely noticed two significant differences between the two balls.

1 - I hit the E6 further than the QST on just about every shot. I can only think of one instance where I hit the QST further was a shot I pulled way left, while I hit the E6 pretty much on my target line.

2 - The QST stopped faster and rolled out less than the E6 on every shot into and around the green.

To me the feel/sound and putting the two balls are very similar to each other. I will continue to pit these to balls against each other. If I had to make a choice now... It would be tough ( I still need to play each ball more) I liked that the E6 went further but didn't like watching it roll off the green. I liked finding the QST right next to its mark on each successful shot onto the green. If I could hit the E6 off the tee and then play the QST from there, I would choose that. But after the first inning, the QST is slightly in the lead.

+1 on the QST 2018. They come in yellow. Nice feel, decent price and if you watch for a sale, it's even lower. It took some time getting use to the greenside spin. But, now I love it. Us hacks can spin it like a pro. I think I finally found a replacement and upgrade to the Gamersoft. The Z stars are on sale now. So, it's kind of weird to stay with the QST at the same price. But, I find the z star a bit too firm.

Edited by Sandhills Golfe

On 11/8/2018 at 11:53 PM, Joey G said:

Check out Cut Golf. I've played a couple of rounds now with their 3-piece, matte finish, yellow, ball and honestly can't tell any difference between the Cut ball and the Volvik Vivids or Callaway's Superhot Bold...$19.99/dozen online direct from the manufacturer or Rock Bottom...they make white ones too. 😉

www.cutgolf.co/collections/golf-balls

I have been playing the Cut Blue (four piece ball) for the past couple of weeks and I'm a believer! It goes further for me than the Snell MTB and holds the greens about as good. It doesn't feel as soft off the putter as the Snell but for 20.00 bucks a dozen....I'm sold. Until something better comes along (at that price point)  I'm using the Cut Blue.

• Like 1

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

That is interesting information. Thanks for that. Being in North CA, I am unable to continue my testing of golf balls as the air is densely filled with smoke, and the projection of when the Camp Fire will be contained is November 30th. I have a couple of weeks before I will be able to do any outdoor golf activity. 

On 10/24/2018 at 3:50 PM, Sean_D said:

The 200 yd 3H was a single shot where my ball was within three feet of it''s mark and the only one I have made like that. Most of the shots to which I referred are from 150 and in, and I miss more greens than I hit. But when I hit them, the ball is usually right there next to its mark. The spinning is my hypothesis, I may be wrong, but when hitting similarly struck iron shots between my regular 3-piece and the V1X from 150 and in, the V1X was shorter. I know the V1X is designed for higher spin on shorter shots, so my hypothesis does not seem unreasonable, to me. I have been taking lessons at least twice a month all year and have gone from shooting in the 130s to the low to mid 90s with a low score of 88 a few weeks ago. I may be a 24 now, but I am moving lower quickly.

Thanks for the recommendation on the holiday sales. I am planning on purchasing (and receiving as Christmas gifts) during the offseason and testing when the weather permits (in Northern CA that should be pretty often). By the time my league starts in April, I hope to have my ball for the 2019 season sorted out.

I think you will find your assessment of the Pro-V1x to be correct. I've played quite a bit of golf with my buddy's Son. He's in his 40's, I'm in my 60's, and he generates a lot more clubhead speed, and thus spin, than I do. He found a brand new V1x and decided to play it. He hits a high ball anyway, but with the V1x his shots started looking like the first big hill on a roller coaster! A mile in the sky with approaches coming up short. It would just balloon up in the air. That's their "higher" flight ball anyway. 

I'm also amazed at how many ProV1's I find lost on the course. Suggests to me that there are a lot of golfers with more money than sense. 

I just noticed on the Revolution Golf website that they have a bundle deal going. Vice Tour (3 piece) balls with their new glove. I don't know if I'll go for it since I normally don't wear a glove, but this one is kind of unique. It's made of lambskin! 

Like I said, the ball is 3 piece with the core at 35 compression, the mantle at 40, and the cover at 60. That sounds interesting to me. They were selling a dozen for $21.95. The glove was rather expensive, $19.95, so maybe I'll look around the internet for some of the balls. I sure can't find Vice golf balls in any golf shop around here.

Edited by Buckeyebowman

On 11/13/2018 at 12:18 PM, Bucki1968 said:

I have been playing the Cut Blue (four piece ball) for the past couple of weeks and I'm a believer! It goes further for me than the Snell MTB and holds the greens about as good. It doesn't feel as soft off the putter as the Snell but for 20.00 bucks a dozen....I'm sold. Until something better comes along (at that price point)  I'm using the Cut Blue.

Yeah, I just re-ordered on Black Friday and got a dozen each for my daughter & nephew to try out.

I have a buddy that swears by the Cut Blue as well...they seems to be doing what some of the "premium golf balls at half the price" companies started out trying to do.

:ping:   Ping G30 - Driver       

Ping G Series - 3w & 5w 

Ping G5 - 7w & 5-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52*, 56*, 60*

Ping Sigma 2 Fetch putter

For those still interested...  I have played my way through the Q Star Tours and the Bridgestone E6 Soft. As I played each ball more the differences in distance shrank to being very close to each other. Sometimes the E6 was further and sometimes the Q Star Tour was. I attribute that to my swing and that the two balls are equal in the distance category. The Q Star Tour definitely spins more on short shots, pitches and chips, and stops quicker on the green. I even backed up several of the QSTs on shorter par 3s. 

So for my purposes, the QST beat out the E6. 

Next Up... QST vs Z Star. Stay Tuned.

Note: This thread is 1670 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!