IGNORED

Swing Speed Radar Measuring Ball Speed Instead of Clubhead Speed?

Note: This thread is 1979 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently got one of the swing speed radars that is recommended to be used with the SuperSpeed golf program and have been using it to measure my SuperSpeed progress so far. 

Today I took the radar to the range, and I think the radar was either reading super high for my clubhead speed, or it was detecting the ball speed and not the clubhead speed. When swinging my driver alone without hitting a ball, it was in the upper 80 to low 90 mph range, but then as soon as I started hitting real balls, it spiked up to a 130-140 mph consistently, and I know I'm not swinging that fast.

It doesnt make sense to me that it would be picking up the ball speed, because the instructions specifically say the radar is designed to be used with and provides the most accurate results when hitting an actual ball.

For anyone else that has this, have you experienced anything like this? I'm ok with the swing speed radar clubhead speed not matching 100% to something like a trackman, but it definitely seems weird that it appears to be detecting the ball speed instead of the clubhead speed. Paging some people that I know have the radar. @iacas @Typhoon92 @Shindig @Wanzo

Below is how I had the radar positioned at the range, I thought it was far enough behind the ball not to pick the ball up.  

20181104_125516.jpg

20181104_125618.jpg

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think it's supposed to be ahead of the ball by 8" (and off to the side, obviously).   I'm not home now, but I'll take a picture tomorrow if you want.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

You are supposed to position it ahead of the ball, at a 45 degree angle back toward you.  So in that photo, to the left of the ball holder, and rotated one quarter turn counter clockwise.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Shindig said:

I think it's supposed to be ahead of the ball by 8" (and off to the side, obviously).   I'm not home now, but I'll take a picture tomorrow if you want.

14 hours ago, allenc said:

You are supposed to position it ahead of the ball, at a 45 degree angle back toward you.  So in that photo, to the left of the ball holder, and rotated one quarter turn counter clockwise.

Ahh ok. I will try that next time I go to the range. Thanks guys. I'll report back later this week and see if that makes the numbers more normal.

Yes, Allenc is correct having it just past the ball.  Also angle it back toward you on about a 45 degree angle.

I find it pretty accurate.  I have had one for years.

18 hours ago, allenc said:

Yeah, i would try this first.  It's how I set mine up.  I don't see why it would make a difference, at least what you are seeing, but worth a shot.  I don't use it a lot when i'm actually hitting balls, but i did test it against a flightscope when i first got it and it was really close, not exact but pretty consistent.  Let us know what you find when you try it again.  Curious if it keeps changing when you go from hitting a ball to just swinging when it's in the correct position.

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

On 11/4/2018 at 5:28 PM, Shindig said:

On 11/4/2018 at 5:38 PM, allenc said:

On 11/5/2018 at 11:03 AM, Typhoon92 said:

Yes, Allenc is correct having it just past the ball.  Also angle it back toward you on about a 45 degree angle.

I find it pretty accurate.  I have had one for years.

On 11/5/2018 at 12:19 PM, Wanzo said:

Yeah, i would try this first.  It's how I set mine up.  I don't see why it would make a difference, at least what you are seeing, but worth a shot.  I don't use it a lot when i'm actually hitting balls, but i did test it against a flightscope when i first got it and it was really close, not exact but pretty consistent.  Let us know what you find when you try it again.  Curious if it keeps changing when you go from hitting a ball to just swinging when it's in the correct position.

I went to the range last night and positioned it how you guys suggested, and that made all the difference. Clubhead speed was consistently right around 105mph, with a couple that reached 110 and 111 when I really went after one.

I dont have any comparison numbers hitting balls with this radar before I started SuperSpeed, but when I have been on a launch monitor last winter, I was 95-100mph, so the 105-110 mph is definitely more in line with what I was expecting. Thanks for the help everyone!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have also been looking for a good comparison between the Swing Speed Radar and the Swing Caddie Models (SC200). They both have been mentioned in several threads, but I have not seen a really side-by-side comparison. One thing I gather is that with the SC200 you need to be pretty precise in placing the unit, and I also don't like the idea of having to turn around to see the display (it does have audio however). Price difference is of some concern as well.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I went ahead and ordered the voice caddie unit SC 100.  I had received input from two knowledgeable golf instructors and both recommended the SC over swing speed radar. I chose to get the older model as I saw little difference between it and the newer SC200. I don't really need to fine tune barometric pressure or dial in exact lofts. Mostly to see improvement and also coorelation between swing speed, ball speed, and smash factor. 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Note: This thread is 1979 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!