IGNORED

Playing with Irons Only

MyWay
Note: This thread is 1974 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Just now, MyWay said:

Yes, your going to make me admit its my skill set not the course aren't you?

That course is plenty wide enough to hit driver.

Once again, I'm going to start off by saying that if YOU enjoy playing golf this way, cool. But that's a nothing topic to discuss - do whatever you want - so I'm taking the actual topic that's available - whether it is a "good idea" to play with irons only, or whether you're capping your scoring potential with irons only.

2 hours ago, MyWay said:

Well we seem to have got to a tetchy stage of this subject.

Unless you're talking about yourself, this describes nobody participating here in this discussion.

2 hours ago, MyWay said:

Im not looking for validation or acquiescence from others, I know my own game and am very aware of my current weaknesses hence playing just irons for now. I own a driver, 3 & 5 woods and a hybrid I just prefer using irons currently and wondered if other folk had experienced the same. Thats it in a nutshell.

Nobody's expressed having a problem with that. We have shared information, data, and opinions about how that's hampering your ability to score, though.

2 hours ago, MyWay said:

And as for 'drive for show putt for dough' thats a very touchy subject isn't it. Some delicate egos getting rattled are there?

You know, I hate when people say things like this, because it couldn't be farther from the truth. "Drive for show, putt for dough" is horseshit. That's essentially a proven fact these days. If you don't want to accept it, or discuss it (really, there's nothing more to discuss - we've had the discussion a hundred times already, I wrote a book about it [you can get a copy from your countryman Andrew Norrby], and it is what it is at this point).

You're wrong on that one. Saying this doesn't make it "touchy" and it has nothing to do with my ego. My ego does not rest upon data or facts.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

37 minutes ago, iacas said:

That course is plenty wide enough to hit driver.

Once again, I'm going to start off by saying that if YOU enjoy playing golf this way, cool. But that's a nothing topic to discuss - do whatever you want - so I'm taking the actual topic that's available - whether it is a "good idea" to play with irons only, or whether you're capping your scoring potential with irons only.

Unless you're talking about yourself, this describes nobody participating here in this discussion.

Nobody's expressed having a problem with that. We have shared information, data, and opinions about how that's hampering your ability to score, though.

You know, I hate when people say things like this, because it couldn't be farther from the truth. "Drive for show, putt for dough" is horseshit. That's essentially a proven fact these days. If you don't want to accept it, or discuss it (really, there's nothing more to discuss - we've had the discussion a hundred times already, I wrote a book about it [you can get a copy from your countryman Andrew Norrby], and it is what it is at this point).

You're wrong on that one. Saying this doesn't make it "touchy" and it has nothing to do with my ego. My ego does not rest upon data or facts.

Ive started this post about playing irons only, partly because there was an interesting post back in 2008 about the same subject and a number of members had dropped driver and some woods as well and had regained confidence, remained straighter and scored better. They were higher handicappers like myself.

I like facts and statistics and keep my own records so I can see where I most need to improve. A fact I hate is being 3 from the T wasting 2 shots before Ive even started really bugs me.

I was hoping to find other folk like myself who struggle but enjoy the game and how they worked around those struggles. Im most interested in how low it might be practical to shoot with just irons as these are my current trusted tools.

But Ive hit a driver brick wall from better players like yourself. Im not disagreeing with any of your assertions about driving and distance, but it won't help me improve currently especially this time of year as its rained most of this week. I have another lesson on Friday and have been practising as instructed in the back garden.

Some folk on here though have been keen to firmly state how wrong I am and to be frank I don't get why my irons only method is so contentious, I'm saying it works for me I enjoy it and I don't expect to influence anyone else, I'm not skilled enough to even think of trying.

Calling a statement bollocks seems a little fierce and implies touchiness doesn't it? And you did.

Anyway Im bored with this subject now, and strangely its made me more inclined to carry on as I was, and I don't say this to incite reaction.

As an aside a course in Northern England Brancepeth Castle GC is the best Ive played in the UK I was a member there for a few years and I can't recommend it enough. I imagine you have more great courses to choose from though.

I used to think like that a couple of years ago when I was slicing my driver a lot. I was saying to myself that since I used the driver only 14 time in a round, it wouldn't make a big difference if I put it away. It helped for hitting my irons more consistently but not for lowering my score. You would need a pretty good level of iron play because you have no margin of error if you miss your iron shot off the tee! I've learned to hit my driver a little better now and are hitting more fairway and it's way easier to score better if you have an approach shot to make with a 8 or 9 iron versus 4 or 5 iron.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, MyWay said:

I like facts and statistics and keep my own records so I can see where I most need to improve. A fact I hate is being 3 from the T wasting 2 shots before Ive even started really bugs me.

I haven't seen much evidence that you're capable of seeing where you need to improve. You've not broken 80, yet, right? Learning to hit a driver - improving your driving - is a big part of how you'd get there.

I was hoping to find other folk like myself who struggle but enjoy the game and how they worked around those struggles. Im most interested in how low it might be practical to shoot with just irons as these are my current trusted tools.

That's not what I'm talking about. I've been pretty clear on that in the last few posts. If that's how you want to play, cool beans. Good for you. But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the theoretical way to improve the best and shoot the best scores.

Some folk on here though have been keen to firmly state how wrong I am and to be frank I don't get why my irons only method is so contentious, I'm saying it works for me I enjoy it and I don't expect to influence anyone else, I'm not skilled enough to even think of trying.

The things you're "wrong" about are your assertions on "drive for show, putt for dough" and stuff like that.

Nobody here has ever said you're "wrong" to enjoy playing with irons only, or anything like that. If you've taken anything that way, it's been in error.

Calling a statement bollocks seems a little fierce and implies touchiness doesn't it? And you did.

Let me be perfectly clear here: No, it does not "imply touchiness." It implies only that I think your statement is bollocks. Why? Because it was. I said as much:

On 11/19/2018 at 9:28 AM, iacas said:

You do know that saying is complete bollocks, right? It's essentially completely backward. Driving and approach shots are where good players shoot good scores. It's not even close.

How is ANY of that "touchiness?" It's not.

Anyway Im bored with this subject now, and strangely its made me more inclined to carry on as I was, and I don't say this to incite reaction.

Nobody's ever really cared what you do. We've been discussing it in the theoretical to try to help you see a different way. I've said variations of "if you enjoy playing that way, cool beans and more power to you" several times.

But I'm not going to agree with statements like "drive for show, putt for dough" when they're literally wrong.

You seem to want to keep reading emotions into the posts of others, @MyWay, when I can say for damned certain there is none. Not from me. I don't become emotionally attached to conversations, discussions, to facts.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It seems to me that one needs to become proficient with all the tools. That is not always an easy task. There are days when I am much better with hybrids and fairway woods than mid to long irons. Other times it is the other way around. When I notice something like this, I try to force myself to use the clubs giving me problems and more often than not, it will all work out. At least until the next time the manifestation occurs.

No need to chase the rabbit down the hole if you do not find agreement. State your position, accept or discard the suggestions, make a decision. "If it is to be, it is up to me".

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• Administrator

@MyWay, there are literally tens of thousands of other topics here. Rather than continually misreading the tone and intent of those trying to help you or trying to have a simple discussion here in this topic, look at some of the others.

Start a Member Swing topic. Let's see this swing that hits a 2-iron 230 yards 8/10 times but can't hit a driver.

Or weigh in on The Match taking place this Friday. Or join the Fantasy league. Or talk about the balls you like to play. Or anything else. You're the only one getting upset in this topic here.

16 hours ago, MyWay said:

Burnham on Crouch Essex England, it has OB on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd (effectively) 4th, 5th par 3, 6th on course OB to right FW, 7th ditch and pond 8 - 7i good alternative, 9th OB left, 10th tightens after 200yds, 11th par 3, 12th wide, 13th on course OB left, 14th OB right, 15th par 3, 16th OB right pond left, 17th OB right tightens due to practice field after 200 yards, 18th OB right. there are 3 additional ponds.

Your course doesn’t look too bad. Just learn not to slice and hook, I guess?

16 hours ago, iacas said:

This course?

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 5.07.01 PM.png

This course is not that narrow, at all. I thought it might have been like Knollwood CC in Granada Hills CA. @MyWay I use a steel 3W on that course on most holes, but driver wherever possible.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

2 hours ago, badgermat said:

Or a very challenging one. 

There's a difference between challenging and poorly designed, but we've also established that the course @MyWay plays at isn't too tight for a driver.

2 hours ago, badgermat said:

And isn't a challenge what we're all after?

If it was, we'd all be playing with only one club in the bag, worst ball, or from the opposite side from our dominant one. Being challenged is likely not the primary reason most people play golf.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 11/20/2018 at 3:42 PM, MyWay said:

"The earth is spherical" is a statement of fact. It can be proven. To tell someone that believes the world to be flat, that it isn't, is not fierce, nor irritable, nor cantankerous in any way. It is merely stating that an oft believed and outdated adage is factually inaccurate, because it is.

I would venture to say the only person who would view "Drive for show and putt for dough is horseshit" as being an irascible statement is themselves upset that their own beliefs have been attacked and are indefensible. In other words, @MyWayyou know you're wrong and are a bit agitated about it. I get it, change is hard. 

On 11/20/2018 at 3:42 PM, MyWay said:

Spoken like someone who has been shown the err of their ways and has retorted with the adult equivalent of sticking out their tongue and yelling "I know you are but what am I".

I looked your course up on google earth and measured the width of many of the fairways. They are more than wide enough to hit driver. So, if you want to hit irons only that is totally your choice, and more power to you. I, along with most of this forum, believe you are greatly limiting your scoring potential by doing so. But it is your game to limit, just don't do so while defending your decision as being based in logic because the opposite is true.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

On 11/27/2018 at 1:05 AM, billchao said:

There's a difference between challenging and poorly designed

True, but you appeared to be conflating tight with poorly designed.

Massive, wide tracks with no significant rough, few plants bigger than a bush and billiard-table fairways may well be poorly designed. Fiddly little courses with huge trees and dog-leg fairways may not be. 

The real point is that you have to play – and club for – what you're presented with. And if you can't, the problem is yours not the course designer's. 

On 11/27/2018 at 1:05 AM, billchao said:

If it was, we'd all be playing with only one club in the bag, worst ball, or from the opposite side from our dominant one. Being challenged is likely not the primary reason most people play golf.

I'm sure people play for lots of reasons, but a challenge has to be quite high on the list. Whether it's the challenge of playing better than your mates, winning a hole, getting round in a couple of strokes less than last time or just walking the whole way without puffing.

Oh and you should really try playing with just one club. It's liberating, and great for the soul ;-)

bm

On 11/20/2018 at 7:36 PM, iacas said:

Start a Member Swing topic. Let's see this swing that hits a 2-iron 230 yards 8/10 times but can't hit a driver.

I'd really like to see this. 

I've been following this topic since it's inception. Again, if you want to play irons only that's great. 
But in my humble opinion there is nothing in golf more fun than a really well struck driver. Especially on the first tee box when everyone is watching. Walk up and knock one 275 down the middle when everyone's watching. You also gotta hold the pose. I'm getting excited about playing golf just thinking about it. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Note: This thread is 1974 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!