IGNORED

Welding class putter project

Note: This thread is 1984 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everyone. The advanced students in my welding and fabrication class have designed and built a putter (with a bit of guidance from me) as their final project for the semester. One of the students suggested we post it online to get some real world feedback.

So here it is...machined using a 100% manual mill from a piece of 1018 cold rolled steel, we made our own nickel electroplating system to plate it, hand stamped and paint filled.

Thank you!

-Brad

PhotoGrid_1542309369138.jpg

PhotoGrid_1542309459779.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nice work, what is the weight of the putter head?
Also, have you checked the head for a balancing point?

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Nice work, what is the weight of the putter head?
Also, have you checked the head for a balancing point?

The weight is 332 grams, we have not checked it for a balancing point (and wouldn't really know how to do so) this was much more a "proof of concept" project for the students, however we will be testing it out after the thanksgiving break. The left handed version is pictured, we have an identical right handed version.

• Administrator

Nice work.

3D programs can show you where the CG is, I believe. That’s important. It’s gotta be close to that dot or it’s bad.

I like the texture on the back.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Very cool!

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

That is really awesome.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I second modeling this in 3D CAD to check the CG.  Could also help with MOI analysis in case y'all want to do a few more of these projects (hint hint)

This is really cool, kudos to your students.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

19 hours ago, fearthebeard said:

we will be testing it

How did you decide which type of putter head to design?
Also, did you consider the face angle when milling?
Putters need to have about 9* loft, I believe.
And was the putter head project taken from an available design, or did the class actually draw and spec the project?

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

14 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

And was the putter head project taken from an available design, or did the class actually draw and spec the project?

The students researched designs and drew blue prints. We voted as a class on our favorite. The loft is milled at 4* and the lie is 70. When the shaft is installed it will play at 34.5"

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Club Rat said:

9 degrees of loft!!!!????

3-4° is standard. Mine has about 2.75°.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Left handed. I'll take it.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, fearthebeard said:

If the students ever go into production I'll be sure to let you know.

BTW, they shouldn't. Everyone and their brother who wants to get into the golf business makes either some lame training aid or a putter. They don't have a reputation or anything unique to market.

On 11/15/2018 at 2:50 PM, fearthebeard said:

The weight is 332 grams, we have not checked it for a balancing point (and wouldn't really know how to do so) this was much more a "proof of concept" project for the students, however we will be testing it out after the thanksgiving break. The left handed version is pictured, we have an identical right handed version.

Thanks for the additional info. I found myself wondering why you would make left handed putters! 

Note: This thread is 1984 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!