IGNORED

Anyone used the Orange Whip?

Don Golfo
Note: This thread is 731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

42 minutes ago, Keep It Simple said:

Interesting use of the orange whip.  I also saw Vijay at a tour event practicing with the Momentus Power Hitter driver (hitting golf balls with it).  

I think that’s the SKLZ brand, but probably similar.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, CharlieB said:

Starting my swing sequence with my hands at the top. I think this would be good for building core strength, plus smooth out my swing. The $109 held me back from buying one until I hear from other folks who use it.

I'm not really sure if it will help with your transition, unless the weight of it helps you to focus on your lower body initiating the down swing as it delays your hands from reacting due to the weight.  But will leave that type of advice to the experts.

Gus
---------------

I have one of those whip thingies with the orange ball on the end. It's so limber I haven't found it to be much use for anything other than stretching the muscles a bit.

• Administrator

If you use the coupon code "thesandtrap" you will save $10 on your purchase.

I recommend the Orange Whip itself, used appropriately. I don't like the putter much at all, and the wedge is great as a training aid.

The Orange Whip isn't really a great stretching aid, but it is great for tempo and other things.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 years later...
On 12/15/2018 at 10:51 PM, iacas said:

it's not great for tempo

On 8/9/2019 at 1:21 AM, iacas said:

it is great for tempo

What changed your mind inside a year?  You added the "used appropriately" caveat, which stands to reason, but I'd be curious to know what appropriately looks like, and why your opinion changed?

I'm somewhat interested because I feel like my transition from backswing to downswing is jerky, and I wonder whether this would be useful in amplifying that and providing tactile feedback.  I know someone who has one at the club, so when I see them I might ask if I can borrow it, but curious to  know your thoughts in a bit more detail.

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

• Administrator

Eh that’s the thing with brief responses so I’m glad you saw that even if it’s two years later.

I stand by both comments because it can be good or bad. If your tempo is like Nick Price it’s not good for you. If you have a little pause or “gather” at the top, it’s good. I think the wedge can be useful for chipping work if you tend to rush that motion. The putter is bad.

Like most things there’s some value. I’d probably back off “is great” and just say “can be.”

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have one and I rarely use it. I have brought it to the course but I am not sure it was worth lugging it around in my bag as a warm up tool. It collects a lot of dust now. 

The limited benefit to me was to swing it as directed to help with tempo and sequencing. Due to its heavy weight it helps you to feel the engagement of your body to swing it correctly. I can feel the lower body engaging and how that created some understanding in how to use my body from the ground up. The whole idea would be to translate that to your golf swing with a much lighter golf club. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• 1 month later...

Probably I was using it the wrong way, but my issue with the whip has always been that the "wait for the weight to finish its job at the top of the swing" feeling, for a smooth transition, with a real club translated into collapsing/over extending the leading wrist, and consequent casting in the downswing

I have an old one.  It is good for loosening up.  Also, when my swing gets a little off plane at the top of my backswing, it gives me a little feedback that it is having to be rerouted.  Kinda handy to get that cleaned up before a round starts.

John

Ive used it and eventually gave it away. What i found to be much more effective and more convenient are heavy warm up rings that make the head heavier to warm up with. Im not sure why they work but they are amazing for the first tee or when you get cold from waiting on other golfers. 

Note: This thread is 731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!