IGNORED

Is Die Hard a Christmas Movie

saevel25
Note: This thread is 1917 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is Die Hard a Christmas Movie  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Is Die Hard a Christmas Movie?

• Yes
    • No

The correct answer is still holding a narrow lead in the poll...  :dance:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 12/26/2018 at 9:11 AM, HJJ003 said:

Nah, and I love die hard. It wasn’t released around Christmas, the move takes place around Christmas but Christmas isn’t the theme (change the time of year within the movie and the plot still works just fine), and no elements of the “Christmas Spirit” are being taught or expressed to the audience. Great movie, but not a Christmas movie. 

I agree 100%

-Zac  W

"Sometimes the biggest problem is in your head. You’ve Got to believe." ~Jack Nicklaus

::tmade:                      :cobra:                                                   :mizuno:                       :odyssey:          

M3                    Max 3 & 5 Woods  & Amp Cell Irons 5-GW             4 iron,SW & LW MP-4               O-Works 7   

24 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

It's not A Christmas movie.

It's THE Christmas movie.

It's one of the best action movies of all time, redefining the genre, but it is a pitiful Christmas movie IF considered one.

99% of the movie is action movie 1% happens to have Christmas Themes to it. You can place that movie at any other point in the year and it works. Christmas does not make that movie work. You could easily have the theme be a New Year's Eve movie and it works just as well.

So no, it's not THE Christmas movie, because it isn't one. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

3 hours ago, David in FL said:

Yeah...no. Just like ‘To Kill A Mockingbird’ isn't a Halloween movie.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

561533803_DiehardTower.PNG.8b20dfa1a54b97ebbd56a7c116c7e22b.PNG

:whistle:

Edited by jsgolfer

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

My daughter is in town and I asked about her thoughts.   She said it's the best Christmas movie ever....

She's wrong!  and I won't let her vote here!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

On December 26, 2018 at 9:11 AM, HJJ003 said:

Nah, and I love die hard. It wasn’t released around Christmas, the move takes place around Christmas but Christmas isn’t the theme (change the time of year within the movie and the plot still works just fine), and no elements of the “Christmas Spirit” are being taught or expressed to the audience. Great movie, but not a Christmas movie. 

Also the reason I voted no.

• Administrator

Anyone voting "yes" really only has "it takes place at Christmas time" as the only valid support.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

Anyone voting "yes" really only has "it takes place at Christmas time" as the only valid support.

I don't agree the only reason it is a Christmas movie is that it only takes place at Christmas.  This is "Home Alone" with lots of guns (LOTS).  The story is about a guy who is flying across country to win back his estranged wife and kids during the Christmas Holiday and meets her at her Companies Christmas Party before they are supposed to see if they can reconcile.  And he ends up being the underdog, out-manned guy who saves Christmas for a lot of people.  Plus when I think of Christmas, Die Hard always comes to mind. 

It's not the festive Spirit of Christmas fare of It's A Wonderful life, but to each his own.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

3 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

I don't agree the only reason it is a Christmas movie is that it only takes place at Christmas.  This is "Home Alone" with lots of guns (LOTS). 

It's nothing like Home Alone. 

5 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

The story is about a guy who is flying across country to win back his estranged wife and kids during the Christmas Holiday and meets her at her Companies Christmas Party before they are supposed to see if they can reconcile. 

He could have flown back during Thanksgiving, New Years Even, any time really. A guy making up with his estranged wife isn't a Christmas theme. The movie hardly touches the family notes anyways. It's at the beginning, and at the end. It's 99% action, and 1% what ever else. 

6 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

And he ends up being the underdog, out-manned guy who saves Christmas for a lot of people.  

He doesn't save Christmas, he saves the day. It's an action movie. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Just now, saevel25 said:

It's nothing like Home Alone. 

He could have flown back during Thanksgiving, New Years Even, any time really. A guy making up with his estranged wife isn't a Christmas theme. The movie hardly touches the family notes anyways. It's at the beginning, and at the end. It's 99% action, and 1% what ever else. 

He doesn't save Christmas, he saves the day. It's an action movie. 

To each his own, it could've worked for another holiday but it wasn't set during another holiday.   

I'm off to Florida to play some golf in the warmth.  Yippee-ki-yay   :beer:

-Jerry

While there's disagreement here, I wonder if there's consensus that the Die Hards after the third one were not good.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

I don't agree the only reason it is a Christmas movie is that it only takes place at Christmas. This is "Home Alone" with lots of guns (LOTS).  The story is about a guy who is flying across country to win back his estranged wife and kids during the Christmas Holiday and meets her at her Companies Christmas Party before they are supposed to see if they can reconcile.  And he ends up being the underdog, out-manned guy who saves Christmas for a lot of people.  Plus when I think of Christmas, Die Hard always comes to mind.

I liked Matt's answer. The events could have taken place at any time of year and the script could have remained virtually identical. Defeating terrorists doesn't "save Christmas," and the family theme is just a means to an end: it gets him into his estranged wife's skyscraper to battle the terrorists.

It's an action movie.

Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 4.49.06 PM.png

Note: Action, Adventure, Drama, Suspense. They listed four genres, and none of them are "Special Interest" or "Seasonal" or "Holiday" or "Christmas."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

23 minutes ago, iacas said:

I liked Matt's answer. The events could have taken place at any time of year and the script could have remained virtually identical. Defeating terrorists doesn't "save Christmas," and the family theme is just a means to an end: it gets him into his estranged wife's skyscraper to battle the terrorists.

It's an action movie.

Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 4.49.06 PM.png

Note: Action, Adventure, Drama, Suspense. They listed four genres, and none of them are "Special Interest" or "Seasonal" or "Holiday" or "Christmas."

Sorry ‘yes guys’ ...ya done.8FBF6DA0-1ADE-4AC4-AFE0-ACEABF1BAEBC.gif.dc0c348befe97145f77b0cb4ecd36b68.gif

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

8 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Yeah...no. Just like ‘To Kill A Mockingbird’ isn't a Halloween movie.

Are you saying that lawyers are horrifying? 🤪

7 hours ago, dennyjones said:

My daughter is in town and I asked about her thoughts.   She said it's the best Christmas movie ever....

She's wrong!  and I won't let her vote here!

I’m at 3 votes for Christmas movie, my wife says ‘no’ 🤪🤪

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

14 hours ago, David in FL said:

Not as of 12/28 at 10:04pm...

The correct answer is tied!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I watched it for the first time today. My verdict: not a Christmas movie.

Christmas is mentioned as the setting briefly at the beginning and at the end, with one mention (in the form of a Christmas song) in the middle. There is no Christmas-focused central theme, and it could have just as easily happened any other time of year, both of which you can't say about the actual best Christmas movie of all time, How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (the 1966 animated movie). 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 1917 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!