IGNORED

Is Die Hard a Christmas Movie

saevel25
Note: This thread is 1944 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is Die Hard a Christmas Movie  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Is Die Hard a Christmas Movie?

• Yes
    • No

This has been a heated topic with my friends. I am of the opinion that it is not a Christmas Movie. One of the biggest reason is because the movie was released in the Summer and not in December. 

What are your takes?

Edited by saevel25

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A family is moving from New York to Los Angeles.  She moves with the kids, he has to stay behind to finish up some things for his job before he can transfer.  He surprises her at her office Christmas party, but he isn't the only uninvited guest.  Antics ensue, mostly at the expense of the other uninvited guests.  At one point, we are all shocked to witness a gas station selling unleaded for seventy-five cents a gallon. 

It's my favorite Christmas movie.  Part of what I think makes a holiday movie really good is if you can enjoy it when it isn't the season.  It's like good music:  there are some genres or bands that I often hear defended in context -- sure, that music would sound nice if I were on a tropical beach on a warm day with a drink in my hand and no worries on my mind.  That makes it good for context, but I'm probably not keeping the CD in the console of my car.

The various Grinch movies or Santa Clause movies aren't really enjoyable other than a narrow strip of time around December 25.  They're fine in context, but I'm not really reaching for them in July.  Die Hard, Trading Places, and The Nightmare Before Christmas can be enjoyed year round.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

BE5B61B1-078D-48F3-A902-DF110AD3E287.jpeg

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Of course it is!  :-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

We watch it around Christmas every year and never any other time. So it is a Christmas movie to us! Miracle on 34th Street was also a summer release.

I miss Alan Rickman. He was so much fun to watch in all his movies. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Nah, and I love die hard. It wasn’t released around Christmas, the move takes place around Christmas but Christmas isn’t the theme (change the time of year within the movie and the plot still works just fine), and no elements of the “Christmas Spirit” are being taught or expressed to the audience. Great movie, but not a Christmas movie. 

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, HJJ003 said:

Nah, and I love die hard. It wasn’t released around Christmas, the move takes place around Christmas but Christmas isn’t the theme (change the time of year within the movie and the plot still works just fine), and no elements of the “Christmas Spirit” are being taught or expressed to the audience. Great movie, but not a Christmas movie. 

This is why I voted no.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'd say Die Hard is a Christmas movie in much the same way as Alice's Restaurant is a Thanksgiving song.  That is to say, the holiday is only a peripheral part of the whole.  Still, I play Alice's Restaurant every Thanksgiving, so I understand anyone who watches Die Hard this time of year.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

It’s a Christmas Classic!!! Every year, when with my cousins, we watch it or it’s playing in the background! 😁

Even when I went to China on Christmas one year, it was playing in the background after Rudolf dubbed in Mandarin 😀

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

18 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I'd say Die Hard is a Christmas movie in much the same way as Alice's Restaurant is a Thanksgiving song.  That is to say, the holiday is only a peripheral part of the whole.  Still, I play Alice's Restaurant every Thanksgiving, so I understand anyone who watches Die Hard this time of year.

Soon every Christmas Song will be a Thanksgiving song because they keep pushing forward when they start playing them ;)

I don't think just because it's watched during the Holiday's makes it a Christmas Movie. That makes any move a possible Christmas movie, which is way too arbitrary.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

11 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

BE5B61B1-078D-48F3-A902-DF110AD3E287.jpeg

Love this! 😆

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

We watch it around Christmas every year and never any other time. So it is a Christmas movie to us! Miracle on 34th Street was also a summer release.

I miss Alan Rickman. He was so much fun to watch in all his movies. z

SHOOT... THE GLASS!

I read about them in Time magazine.

I'm just glad this movie is still talked about, it's a classic. Before the movie, Willis was just in that tv show, Moonlighting, not really a big name, then, yippie kai yay, fame.

Die-Hard.png?fit=1200%2C808&ssl=1

Ok, enough bickering and fighting. Let’s settle this once and for all in the only way I know how – going into a topic in way too much detail. As we prepare to enter the year 32 ADH (a.k.a. After Die Hard), the world is...

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Maybe if Alan Rickman turned out to be a rogue elf...or Bruce Willis worked for the North Pole-ice.  Otherwise no.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

2 hours ago, Piz said:

Maybe if Alan Rickman turned out to be a rogue elf...or Bruce Willis worked for the North Pole-ice.  Otherwise no.

He worked for NYPD, or in other words,  a “Northeast police!” 😁

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Im going to say no for the simple reason that you can watch it any time of year and its not odd.  A true Xmas movie is one that you would only watch during the holiday season.  If you can watch it in July and its not weird, its not a Xmas movie.

Hans Gruber - "Now I have a machine gun. Ho Ho Ho", is about as close it comes to being a Christmas movie as it can. 

It would qualify as a cowboy western before it would qualify as a Christmas movie, with all the cowboy talk and all between Gruber and Mclane. 

Vishal S.

5 hours ago, Lihu said:

It’s a Christmas Classic!!! Every year, when with my cousins, we watch it or it’s playing in the background! 😁

Even when I went to China on Christmas one year, it was playing in the background after Rudolf dubbed in Mandarin 😀

No.

6 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

No.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I voted yes because it takes place during Christmas and watching it gives me the same warm fuzzies that the Christmas season always does.  My personal opinion worth absolutely nothing.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Note: This thread is 1944 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!