IGNORED

ClicGear, Sun Mountain, CaddyTek???

Note: This thread is 1139 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 minute ago, iacas said:

IMO you made a wise choice.

What accessories were included in the promotion?

P.S. It's almost criminal that they don't just ditch the regular cup holder and go with the XL. The regular is barely large enough to hold a can of pop/beer/whatever.

Well, the XL cupholder was automatically included. Maybe because of what you mentioned. But I was able to choose from a (this is from my memory) wheel cover which I guess is to help keep your trunk clean. An integrated mittens thing. 2 different versions of cell phone/gps holders (of which I chose one), shoe brush, ball holder, club brush, cigar holder, a GPS watch clip, there may have been something else, but that's what I can recall. I remember that the cooler tube and the other larger cooler was NOT included otherwise I totally would have picked that. Those were cool... or cooler … see what I did there?

Anyway, there are about 25 different accessories. I was really surprised. The coolers caught my eye, but so did the different net/pouchy things for additional storage, they weren't included in the promotion either. Neither was the chair, I didn't want one, but it was interesting. There's a valuables pouch and a rangefinder pouch, I can't recall if they were included in the promotion or not. 

I'm sure I'm forgetting several things. But that's what I can recall. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Okay, so I realize that I'm putting way more thought into this purchase than probably necessary. But it's like -5 degrees outside, so what else do I have to do?

I dragged the family out last night to go look at push carts. Here's an interesting data point. They had a pair of refurbished CaddyTek carts for a really good price. (But not the style and color I wanted.) I asked the guy if they had any refurbished ClicGear carts. His quote "Oh we never get refurbished ClicGear carts. Once and a while a Sun Mountain, but never a ClicGear." Apparently they just don't fail, so there just aren't any to refurbish. 

So, my wife told me I should buy the ClicGear. Her philosophy if it's going to last forever, 50 extra bucks divided by forever is a really small number. 

Okay, so I made my purchase. I got (technically) ordered a ClicGear 3.5+. The current promotion included an upgraded cup holder, nice, and another accessory of my choice. I picked the GPS/Cell phone holder. I would have taken it home with me, but they didn't have blue and since I'm not playing golf anytime soon judging by this terrible weather, I thought why not order it and wait for the color I want? 

So, I'm childishly giddy about my new purchase. I have a ClicGear 3.5+ in blue with an XL cupholder and GPS/cell phone holder on the way. I hope to do a review on it when I get it. I'll at least chime back in on this thread and give an update. 

Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread with tips, advice, or comments. I appreciate all the input. In the end my wife actually told me I should get the more expensive one, so giddy up.

No need to apologize for heavily researching a product you're about to buy. That's half the fun.  It's like buying a lottery ticket. Half the fun is in imagining how you are going to spend the money.

• Like 1

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Anyway, there are about 25 different accessories. I was really surprised. The coolers caught my eye, but so did the different net/pouchy things for additional storage, they weren't included in the promotion either. Neither was the chair, I didn't want one, but it was interesting. There's a valuables pouch and a rangefinder pouch, I can't recall if they were included in the promotion or not. 

Yeah, I have most of them. 🙂

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I am waiting for a cup holder that will hold a long stem Riedel crystal wine glass.

That might be a long wait.

Click Gear 3.0.
I own it the last 2 years and I really happy with it. It´s really ligth and i can let it go on down hills or push it hard away from me in the fairway and walk free.

I play away 1 weekend a month and it´s easy to fit in the trunk of the car.

It has a lot add-ins that you can buy, like a seat, club cleaner, big net for extra struff... etc

I have a 3.5+ and love it. Good choice. As others said, don't worry about it being a little difficult to fold/unfold the first few times, it's easy once you get the hang of it. 

I have a few accessories and agree the XL cup holder is a must, especially for hot days when you might have a big water bottle. You can have both attached, one on each side and keep one for water, one for beer.

I have the wheel cover and it is actually pretty useful if you've been pushing the cart through wet, recently cut grass. It will keep most of it contained so you don't have to clean it off before packing away and your trunk won't get covered. The next time you go to use your cart the grass will have dried and you can just shake it out in the parking lot.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

clicgear.thumb.jpg.b3da52363c9e09f7b5694dffda322173.jpgWell, I haven't had this thing out on the course yet. But it arrived and looks great. My stand bag fits on it super securely. No rolling, no tipping. 

As mentioned the original cupholder that came with it is a joke. Way too tiny. Mine came with a free upgraded version. 

Updates to follow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

clicgear.thumb.jpg.b3da52363c9e09f7b5694dffda322173.jpgWell, I haven't had this thing out on the course yet. But it arrived and looks great. My stand bag fits on it super securely. No rolling, no tipping. 

As mentioned the original cupholder that came with it is a joke. Way too tiny. Mine came with a free upgraded version. 

Updates to follow.

A pensive study in blue. Now we see why you wanted a blue cart.

3 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

A pensive study in blue. Now we see why you wanted a blue cart.

Yeah, I like blue. 

• 2 months later...

Okay, I've used this thing 4 times now. And so far no buyer's remorse at all. The cart is as sturdy as a Sherman Tank. The second time I used it I had the opening and closing thing down pat. (The first time I spilled a bunch of stuff I left in the basket.) I'm really REALLY glad I didn't get one of the carts with the toe-tap brake engage thing. The brake release up on the push handle is a must have if you plan to be on hills at all. 

One thing that I found interesting is that I do find myself using both cup-holders. The large one and the small one. I find that when I play early morning rounds I like to put a coffee in one cup-holder and a bottle of water in the other. 

If I have a complaint it would be that the ball holder thingie inside the compartment is a little tight. It really grips the balls tightly. So, I've gotten to where I don't use it. Instead I just toss the balls into pocket on my golf bag where I've always kept them.

I haven't tried the phone holder yet really. Until my Arccos belt relay thing arrives, I still keep my phone in my front pocket. 

Overall, I have to say if you're in the market for a push cart, you really can't go wrong with the ClicGear 3.5+.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention. It looks awesome in blue. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator
37 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

If I have a complaint it would be that the ball holder thingie inside the compartment is a little tight. It really grips the balls tightly. So, I've gotten to where I don't use it. Instead I just toss the balls into pocket on my golf bag where I've always kept them.

It loosens slightly in both warmer weather and when you use it a bit. Plus I like the the balls don't easily get knocked out and rattle around - you shouldn't be pulling spare balls out of there all that often, should you? :smartass:

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

It loosens slightly in both warmer weather and when you use it a bit. Plus I like the the balls don't easily get knocked out and rattle around - you shouldn't be pulling spare balls out of there all that often, should you? :smartass:

Yes, but when I do pull one out of there, I'm normally already a little miffed. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of the Clicgear and think you made a wise decision as well.  I've just recently got the Cooler Tube and the valuables/GPS bag.  Both are very good purchases and both can be left attached when folding up the cart.  I golf in the Georgia heat so the cooler tube keeping my drinks cool is a big benefit.   I also have the cooler bag, I will put 4-5 frozen bottles of water in there and it keeps them well insulated.

If you use the GPS/Phone holder I strongly recommend the spacer, it raises the holder up and you gain the use of the left side of handle back for pushing.  Look at the bag cozy as well if using a standbag, it will keep it from turning as you play, it's nothing serious just annoying for me so the cozy was a good purchase for me.

I also bought the seat but don't use it much (haven't used it for about 3 seasons).  The course I play on maintains pretty good pace, however if you play on a slow course it does come in handy to sit down occasionally while waiting on the golfers in front.

Finally, if you play with an umbrella I found the clicgear umbrella fit in the holder more snugly than other brands, It's minor but annoyed me enough to get the clicgear umbrella.

Enjoy the ClicGear, you will not regret it.

Edited by rob0225

It looks like this thread is going to be the definitive pushcart evaluation/opinion thread that will be referred to a hundred years from now so I’ll just add my 2¢.  I’ve got two minds about them.

About 15 years ago my old pull cart, which probably originally cost me 25 bucks, completely fell apart so I was in the market for one those new-fangled pushcarts. Clicgear was becoming popular so I was bound and determined to get one but balked at the price which I’m recollecting was close to $200 even back then. So I was hemming and hawing shopping in various sporting goods stores when without any prompting or suggestion, my wife brought home a Callaway pushcart, or at least it had the Callaway name on it, which she bought for $50 at, of all places, Marshalls. Marshalls, for those that don’t know, mostly sells brand name women’s and children’s clothing at a discount but for some unfathomable  reason, they had, she told me, about 6 of these things sitting there in boxes. She thought $200 was ridiculous for a pushcart so she felt she was getting a really good deal. I was actually a bit pissed off, having decided on a Clicgear but, hey, I was also saving $150, so I kept it.

Wouldn’t you know, it’s been in pretty much constant spring, summer and fall use for the past 15 years. Nothing’s ever broken on it, the wheels have stayed on, the brakes still work, the cross-wire that keeps the thing stable when it’s open has stayed connected, the buckles, clamps, straps, umbrella holder, storage compartment, have all stayed together, connected and in one piece, in short, it’s been a champ. It’s only downside is it doesn’t collapse down to a very small size, but it still easily fits in the trunk of my car along with my golf bag, so really, I've had nothing to complain about. It’s only now, 15 years later, that I notice that when I let it go when going down a grade it no longer coasts straight, it curves off to the left, and the rubber on the two main wheels is wearing down on the inside because the wheels themselves are starting to bow inwards. So, I think it may be reaching its end of life.  I’ll probably wait until this thing disintegrates completely but when it does, I’ll start hemming and hawing and analyzing this subject to death asking the basic question; Do I go with the Lexus of pushcarts (Clicgear - $230) or the Toyota (CaddyTek - $111)? Is spending over $200 for a pushcart really necessary?

A part of me says, “the hell with it…Clicgear”. The other part of me says “save a hundred dollars”. We'll see.

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

11 hours ago, xrayvizhen said:

Is spending over $200 for a pushcart really necessary?

I've been thinking about this as well (for the last 4 weeks at least). It's all going to come down to how often I walk.

I almost pulled the trigger yesterday but I really had to think about how often I am going to walk. I like to walk however living in Florida, it's not always a great idea. And none of my golf friends like to walk. So I rent a push cart when I go solo. So far this year, I've played my local par 27 course three times and par 67 once. I walked all four times but it's all been solo. I have a tee time Monday with a buddy who wanted to ride. So......

Golf is good. The Grint User name = Ballgame59

:ping: Karsen Zing Orange dot 4-W,  :mizuno:  JPX 900 D,3W,4&5H,  :titleist: Vokey SM4 56,  Ray Cook M1 Mallet, :bridgestone: e12

:adidas:  Tech Response. Any glove'll do.

• 7 months later...

I am in the market for a new push cart. Will be giving my 4 wheel tour trek to my brother in law who will be taking up golf. 

I just got a Sun Mountain C-130 bag, do you the size a 3 wheel push cart is more ideal. 

I was just at Golf Galaxy and checked out the ClicGear 3.5 and Sun Mountain GX. 

As a long time push cart user, I did not like the ClicGear. The fact you need to buy the accessories is annoying and I am not confident that the bottom of the bag won’t run. 

I liked the Sun Mountain GX, the price is similar to the ClicGear. 

The 3rd option I am not able to physically see, however it does seem to have all that I want on a cart for $100 less. The TGW player 3 wheel cart. Anyone have one? I believe they are made by caddytek. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

• Administrator
2 hours ago, jmanbooyaa said:

As a long time push cart user, I did not like the ClicGear. The fact you need to buy the accessories is annoying and I am not confident that the bottom of the bag won’t run.

The ClicGear is, IMO, going to last the longest and be the most durable.

I don't know what you mean about "you must buy the accessories." You don't need to buy any, and the ones you might want to buy also don't often come with the other carts, either.

Like what?

Note: This thread is 1139 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!