IGNORED

Saying Hello And Question on my 70-degree Wedge

rmeron
Note: This thread is 1894 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Yukari said:

Is there really a 70 degree wedge?  No pictures = imaginary 😁

703.jpg702.jpg701.jpg

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

And people actually use this???  How far can they hit this? 50 yards?  

I carry 60 degree wedge and people think I'm nuts.  😛

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I have a Ping Glide 2.0 60º.  I can hit great lob shots over green side traps and smaller water considerations.  50-60 yards is my maximum comfort zone. My son uses one too. BUT, we both took quite a bit of time to make it vey usable for us.  I cannot even think of using the 70º+ monster pictured.  Wow. That scares me!

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

I use a 64 degree occasionally, and I say occasionally because there are not many times where it is the only, or correct, club to use.   It is noticeably higher than a 60 and it goes high enough to largely stop very close to where it lands.   The main reason I don't use it very much is because I don't find shots that tight, not the right sand to hit from if I am in a tight bunker.   I've successfully used it to get up and down from pitches where I have very little green to work with, and once you get down your distance on these pitches, it's an effective weapon. 

However, it gets used maybe 1-2 times over 3 rounds of golf.   There are so many other ways to get the ball near the hole and it's not really a good club to launch from the fairway from 60 yards out.

—Adam

I love my 64, I've put a lot of practice time in with it and often use in inside 50 yds.  It's works good for me on those shots when you have to put it up over a bunker or a high hump in front of the green.  IMO, those high shots that drop almost straight down can be a big help.  One of the best pros on tour uses a 64. 

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

On 2/11/2019 at 12:24 PM, NM Golf said:

I once had a 64° wedge, I broke it over my knee in the middle of a round, it's the best thing I ever did for my short game. I would suggest you find the deepest, darkest lake on your course and throw it in. 

I bought a 64 degree Slotline wedge back around 1990 - never could hit it on the course, but it was a kick on the chipping green.  Once I'd hit a dozen balls, I got a feel for it and I even dropped a few shots into the cup.  I never could make myself swing hard enough to hit it as far as I needed to because I was afraid of thinning it right off the golf course.  Any mishit, even just a hair off, would cost at least a stroke.  I don't remember what I did with... I think it went away with a set of Lynx irons that I sold to a buddy.  

I've mentioned before that I have never really been able to find consistency with even a 60 degree.  I tried off and on for more than a decade.  Once I did some testing and recording, I found that while I executed a good shot with it a couple of times in a season, those were countered by far more misses, and the misses were often disastrous.  I decided that it was more help when taken out of the bag and stored in the garage. 

The highest loft in my bag now is 56.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

On 2/12/2019 at 7:23 AM, rmeron said:

I'm going to try to learn how to use this baby this summer (I hope).

I'm not sure why you'd want to play this club.  It's pretty useless for most shots and not very versatile.  how often are you hitting flop shots?  The skill to hit this club, even remotely consistent, is typically a skill that few have.  I too used to have a 64 degree wedge, but after a couple of fat shots and a couple of low skulls, I figured there are better ways to skin a cat.  If your other wedge is a 52W and then you jump to a 70 degree.  That's a huge gap.  That gap, in and of itself, would be hard to overcome on most days.

But good luck to you if you want to try and perfect that club.  It's not going to save many shots a round I'm afraid.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

On 2/10/2019 at 9:19 AM, rmeron said:

Hi, I just joined. My golf, if I'm lucky is two days a week. My question, I bought a 70 degree wedge on a whim but can't play it at all. Are there any tips you pro's could give me other than sell it.

A quick answer to the OP:  I'd recommend getting either a 56 or 58 degree wedge and call it good.  70 is just too extreme - you don't even see the pros carrying anything like that.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 1894 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!