IGNORED

Fitting: Which One Should I Do?

chspeed
Note: This thread is 1884 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

55 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I realize you have your heart set on Mizuno and they are a good club but don't discount what the numbers show.

I'll try. I could be wrong, but I feel like most top brand's good clubs are pretty comparable, and it's more about choosing the line and model (Titleist AP2 vs AP3 OR Mizuno JP919 Tour vs JP919 Forged) than it is about the brand.  And of course, choosing the right shaft.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, chspeed said:

I'll try. I could be wrong, but I feel like most top brand's good clubs are pretty comparable, and it's more about choosing the line and model (Titleist AP2 vs AP3 OR Mizuno JP919 Tour vs JP919 Forged) than it is about the brand.  And of course, choosing the right shaft.

They're pretty comparable but one manufacturer's design elements might suit your game better than another's. I've had clubs from different manufacturers that were targeted towards the same market segment but one ended up outperforming another for whatever reason. In terms of comparison I go with performance > feel > looks.

That said, you have to like what you're playing with, too. I play a set of blades that aren't necessarily the best for my game but I like them and life is short. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

8 hours ago, billchao said:

They're pretty comparable but one manufacturer's design elements might suit your game better than another's. I've had clubs from different manufacturers that were targeted towards the same market segment but one ended up outperforming another for whatever reason. In terms of comparison I go with performance > feel > looks.

That said, you have to like what you're playing with, too. I play a set of blades that aren't necessarily the best for my game but I like them and life is short. 

I agree with this. I have played with AP1 and AP2 irons the last couple of years. I hit the AP1 farther, but I like the AP2 a lot better. I seem to aim it better and I like the feel of a good strike. 

That being said, I think I am going to go back to my Mizuno MP 59 this year. I put a different shaft in them after trying a few and I really like the feel even vs. the AP2.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

A while back I really liked the look and technology behind the 2014 Taylormade MC irons.  Picked up a set with the PXI shafts that I was told would be great for me.  I was awful with them.  Sold them and picked up the current Ping's I have now...no problems.

A year ago Dcember I saw a set of the Taylormade/PXI combo for short money at a Play it again sports store so I picked them up.  Wouldn't u know it...same issues as last time...I was amazed, maybe I shouldn't have been.  I always blame myself but in that case it was the clubs.  

Dont force yourself into something that looks good if it doesn't work for u.

• Thumbs Up 1

I recently went for a driver fitting at club champion, the fitter had me try several shafts and he picked one that I had good numbers with (which was fine)  I asked why I never tried any of the stock shafts that are offered with the club. I was told that "they don't do that" which means to me that they just want to up charge you. which is bull, the club he was trying to sell was over $800 with the up charge. If the fitting was only about finding the best fit for me we should have tried cheaper options to see. Just food for thought.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Sixshooter said:

I recently went for a driver fitting at club champion, the fitter had me try several shafts and he picked one that I had good numbers with (which was fine)  I asked why I never tried any of the stock shafts that are offered with the club. I was told that "they don't do that" which means to me that they just want to up charge you. which is bull, the club he was trying to sell was over $800 with the up charge. If the fitting was only about finding the best fit for me we should have tried cheaper options to see. Just food for thought.

Yikes.  That's good to know.

Chspeed - how did things turn out?

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

7 minutes ago, paperclip said:

He's still there. The fitting now costs $575 and if he doesn't buy clubs from them they double the fitting charge.

Colin P.

4 minutes ago, colin007 said:

H🤣e's still there. The fitting now costs $575 and if he doesn't buy clubs from them they double the fitting charge.

😂🤣🤑

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

2 hours ago, paperclip said:

I went to the Callaway used site and purchased an older model Callaway Epic with a shaft that had a similar weight and bend profile, I've only hit it a few times so far but it seems to go farther than my old one. paid $195 for the older epic with a matrix white tie shaft 

11 hours ago, Sixshooter said:

I've never been to one, but I thought the whole premise of Club Champion was that they do the fitting but they don't care where you buy the clubs? As I understand it, their whole philosophy is based on getting you the best performing club setup and not fitting you for the purposes of selling you clubs.

I've seen videos where people have tested stock shafts and apparently the QC isn't great on on them - too much variance from one shaft to another. That could be the reason they don't carry or fit people into stock shafts?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

12 minutes ago, billchao said:

I've never been to one, but I thought the whole premise of Club Champion was that they do the fitting but they don't care where you buy the clubs?

Bill I think they more push the idea that they’re not ‘brand bias’ with their testing. It’s true they don’t care if you order the clubs from them but they mention that you’re not paying more for the clubs by ordering through them. Now if they’re limiting their testing to high end shafts/heads only that’s new to me.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

22 hours ago, paperclip said:

update: did the fitting on Friday.

I feel like the fitting was done well. The guy is a real pro, and does hundreds of fittings a year. He seemed knowledgeable, and even understood the real ball flight laws 🙂 The fitting room was set up with all the proper equipment, Trackman, etc..

I’m still waiting for my trackman data, which they’re supposed to email me. I’ll share those, as well as my specs .

i have a 10 year old set of mizuno MP 58s. I definitely got better smash factors with the new clubs. I tried the different JP-919s, and Ping-G410. In the end, he ended up recommending the 919-Hot Metal with some change in lie angle.

Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but will in early spring.

Thanks everyone!

For anyone curious, Trackman data is below. All 7 iron. Followed by the specs. "Gamer" is my current 10 year-old Mizuno MP-58s. One thing that really struck me is how poor my swing consistency was (even the fitter agreed). I hit some balls pretty well, but they would be followed by some terrible swings. The reality is, this happens on the course too, so I guess the numbers are somewhat representative. However, choosing specs based on a data set that is so widely dispersed with a relatively small number of swings seems like it could be off.

1620307623_ScreenShot2019-02-26at3_40_32PM.thumb.png.668c9d6f523a83f40a75be39aa6b4ce8.png1161168712_ScreenShot2019-02-26at3_42_49PM.thumb.png.5aad9164783e4d533cdff61c4ed6fd34.png1185405030_ScreenShot2019-02-26at3_40_58PM.thumb.png.ac41adb72bc4a6168c7472b62b18c0de.png

657963077_ScreenShot2019-02-26at3_41_25PM.thumb.png.239e9f8133256e35ac853e8336e5c452.png

1168143540_ScreenShot2019-02-26at3_43_02PM.thumb.png.5b22244a36f658936b942a59f31d939c.png

Specs:

JPX 919 HM

5-PW

2 UP

2 WEAK

STND LIE

MOD 105 REG

STND GRIP

52 AND 56 TO 57 F VOKEY TO MATCH

Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 3.43.42 PM.png

24 minutes ago, chspeed said:

For anyone curious, Trackman data is below. All 7 iron. Followed by the specs. "Gamer" is my current 10 year-old Mizuno MP-58s. One thing that really struck me is how poor my swing consistency was (even the fitter agreed). I hit some balls pretty well, but they would be followed by some terrible swings. The reality is, this happens on the course too, so I guess the numbers are somewhat representative. However, choosing specs based on a data set that is so widely dispersed with a relatively small number of swings seems like it could be off.

1620307623_ScreenShot2019-02-26at3_40_32PM.thumb.png.668c9d6f523a83f40a75be39aa6b4ce8.png1161168712_ScreenShot2019-02-26at3_42_49PM.thumb.png.5aad9164783e4d533cdff61c4ed6fd34.png1185405030_ScreenShot2019-02-26at3_40_58PM.thumb.png.ac41adb72bc4a6168c7472b62b18c0de.png

657963077_ScreenShot2019-02-26at3_41_25PM.thumb.png.239e9f8133256e35ac853e8336e5c452.png

1168143540_ScreenShot2019-02-26at3_43_02PM.thumb.png.5b22244a36f658936b942a59f31d939c.png

Specs:

JPX 919 HM

5-PW

2 UP

2 WEAK

STND LIE

MOD 105 REG

STND GRIP

52 AND 56 TO 57 F VOKEY TO MATCH

Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 3.43.42 PM.png

I'm certainly no expert in clubfitting, but IMO it looks like you had better numbers with the G410.

Further average carry, higher average ball speed, higher ball flight, more backspin, steeper descent angle, better consistency across most categories too compared to the JPX919HM 105R, and it was one of your tightest dispersions taking into account both front to back and side to side dispersion.

I guess that 71 yd carry with the JPX919HM 105R skews the average and consistency numbers a bit (IMO the fitter should have excluded that from the results), but even taking that one out, you had a 28 yd distance gap between your longest and shortest JPX919HM 105R, and with the G410 there was only a 15 yd distance gap between the longest and shortest ones.

Like I said, I'm not by any means a clubfitter, just sharing my observations from your numbers.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

16 minutes ago, klineka said:

I'm certainly no expert in clubfitting, but IMO it looks like you had better numbers with the G410.

Further average carry, higher average ball speed, higher ball flight, more backspin, steeper descent angle, better consistency across most categories too compared to the JPX919HM 105R, and it was one of your tightest dispersions taking into account both front to back and side to side dispersion.

I guess that 71 yd carry with the JPX919HM 105R skews the average and consistency numbers a bit (IMO the fitter should have excluded that from the results), but even taking that one out, you had a 28 yd distance gap between your longest and shortest JPX919HM 105R, and with the G410 there was only a 15 yd distance gap between the longest and shortest ones.

Like I said, I'm not by any means a clubfitter, just sharing my observations from your numbers.

I happened to be swinging better and hit fewer shots during that stretch. But yes, those numbers were good.

I don't like their looks nearly as much though.

23 minutes ago, chspeed said:

I don't like their looks nearly as much though.

I figured looks might have played a role in it too.

The 2 degrees weak should help with the spin, height, and descent angle, or were the numbers you posted with a 2 degree weaker model already?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

14 minutes ago, klineka said:

I figured looks might have played a role in it too.

The 2 degrees weak should help with the spin, height, and descent angle, or were the numbers you posted with a 2 degree weaker model already?

No, they were standard.

• iacas changed the title to Fitting: Which One Should I Do?
Note: This thread is 1884 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!