IGNORED

Pin Sheets and Rangefinders

TRUCKER
Note: This thread is 1824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is a pin sheet necessary if I have a range finder? If yes, what information will the pin sheet add? 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The pin sheet will let you know which side of the flag to aim at.  For a back flag, aim a little short of it, closer to the middle.  For a front flag, aim past it, to the middle.  You want a little bit of a miss to end up on the green, not chipping from a difficult spot.  The same holds true for left and right pins, aim more towards the middle.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I don't know about the course you are playing but some courses have a "pin position map" of each green on the scorecard. Each green is divided into 3 zones and somewhere near the clubhouse will be a sign telling what pin position is being played that day. The zones rotate on subsequent greens, so Pin Position 1 can be front, middle or rear. Also, some courses use color coded flags. Red flags are front, white flags middle, and blue flags rear. 

I do that now by the color of the flag and the distance I get from the range finder. I don't know what more a pin sheet is going to tell me. At first I thought maybe range finders weren't legal in tournaments, and that's why you would use a pin sheet.

• iacas changed the title to PIn Sheets and Rangefinders
26 minutes ago, TRUCKER said:

I do that now by the color of the flag and the distance I get from the range finder. I don't know what more a pin sheet is going to tell me. At first I thought maybe range finders weren't legal in tournaments, and that's why you would use a pin sheet.

With a good course map, like one I've made for myself for my home club, I have distance to the significant features, ridges and swales.  I might choose to go short of a middle flag, for instance, if I know there's a ridge just behind the pin.  A pin sheet just gives more detail than a red-white-blue flag system might give, is it in front of that ridge, or just past it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

In tournament play, I definitely want a pin sheet. While I will still use the range finder, I want to know how many paces the pin is from the back, front, left or right. Especially when playing a course you are not as familiar with.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok. So with the pin sheet you're getting extra details about the green and the pin placement. I'm not sure I'm good enough to use one then. I typically get the yardage and flag color and go for the front, middle, or back more or less. Sounds like with a pin sheet you would need to be good enough to get down to within a yard with your distances all the time to really make use of those extra details.

Of course it’s helpful.  

150 yds to the pin when the back of the green is 155 yards with water long, is a whole different animal than the same 150 yards to the pin, but with 145 yards to the front of the green with water short...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• iacas changed the title to Pin Sheets and Rangefinders

Trucker, you are good enough to use one. Every shot requires a goal, not that you attain perfection. 

If the pin is 5 from the back and long is bad, then my club choice (depending on wind....) would be, if I pured that club, it would just reach the pin. 

If you think you are not good enough, chances are high the right mental approach can move you index 5 or more quickly. 

Good point about just because I might not make a perfect shot, that I still should get all the details I can of the approach onto the green. Thanks...🤝

11 hours ago, LMoore said:

If you think you are not good enough, chances are high the right mental approach can move you index 5 or more quickly. 

No. That simply isnt true. The mental game doesn't contribute nearly as much as people think it does.

@TRUCKER would be better off by simply aiming for the middle of the green whenever he is outside of 80 yards.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

14 hours ago, TRUCKER said:

Ok. So with the pin sheet you're getting extra details about the green and the pin placement. I'm not sure I'm good enough to use one then. I typically get the yardage and flag color and go for the front, middle, or back more or less. Sounds like with a pin sheet you would need to be good enough to get down to within a yard with your distances all the time to really make use of those extra details.

There is at least one course I play occasionally where the carts have a map of each green with 6 zones, numbered oddly enough, 1 through 6.  The starter tells you what number is active that day, so you know the zone in which each hole is cut.  That is very helpful, since for several holes, you can't tell from the fairway where the flagstick is actually at.  Then the GPS or laser can give additional info for a more accurate distance, and to help me decide if I want to fudge a little short or a little long.  

Edited by Fourputt

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

1 minute ago, LMoore said:

Klineka, we will have to agree to disagree.

As long as you know you are disagreeing with facts.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

You may be misunderstanding, or perhaps I did a poor job of stating.

By mental, I mean taking the information available, processing it fully, and trusting yourself to make a shot to the best of your ability, whatever they may be. 

Looking back over the history of the game, the names of Hogan, Nicklaus, and Woods will all point to men that had a tremendous grasp of what needed to be done, what they could do, and when it wise to take risks.

To me, the seems to point to the mental aspect of the game being vital.

And certainly, the physical ability had to be there.

• Administrator

@LMoore, please see the other topics for that type of discussion.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!