IGNORED

Want to Get Back Into the Game, Need Advice

Note: This thread is 1849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

We just moved and now are located very close to a semi-private golf course.  I really want to get back into the game, but want to start right.  I plan to take lessons, but my question is about my clubs.  I have a set of ping eye 2 clubs that my father handed down (many, many years ago) and I had custom fit some time ago.  Should I start with those or consider a newer more forgiving game improvement club.  I am going to look at a Yamaha cart tomorrow, so I really have the bug.  Thanks in advance for the advice.

Edited by thompsdw

48 minutes ago, thompsdw said:

We just moved and now are located very close to a semi-private golf course.  I really want to get back into the game, but want to start right.  I plan to take lessons, but my question is about my clubs.  I have a set of ping eye 2 clubs that my father handed down (many, many years ago) and I had custom fit some time ago.  Should I start with those or consider a newer more forgiving game improvement club.  I am going to look at a Yamaha cart tomorrow, so I really have the bug.  Thanks in advance for the advice.

I still run into players who play Ping Eye 2 irons. They're perfectly good clubs so if you want to save yourself a few hundred dollars, you can play with them. You'll get more bang for your buck from upgrading other clubs in your bag, starting with the driver.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Want to Get Back Into the Game, Need Advice

Start with the Ping Eye 2 irons.  They are a very good set unless the shafts/heads are damaged.  You are better off investing in woods/hybrids and wedges.  Those are the clubs that have improved the most and in the case of wedges the grooves matter.  For the irons, see if you can get them re-gripped.  It will help.

The most important thing is lessons.  That cannot be emphasised enough

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Eye 2s were darn fine clubs. Since you had them custom fitted at one time, I would continue playing them for a while. See how they still play. 

Here's my reasoning. I was forced out of golf for several years due to a car accident. My golf prognosis was I would never play golf again. Not only was I able to play again, once I thought a new fitting was in order, I found my old swing specs were still current. I had no need to purchase new clubs, with new specs. 

The OP just might find, that once he gets his reliable, consistent swing back, his specs might not have changed. His Eye 2s might still be playable.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

The one thing you should do is make sure you have a fairly modern titanium driver. The Pings are as forgiving as anything else. There is no forgiving chart that is etched in stone. 

Often you can pick up a nice used much newer technology driver if you can find a local store that specializes in Golf.  Go check out a bunch of them on their simulator.  Can't hurt to check it out and see what may or may not help you out.

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

(edited)

I probably should have said I have a newer Calaway titanium driver.  Need to look at the woods though.  Might need to get a fairway/hybrid instead of what I have.  Thanks again for all the advice.  Kinda nice to keep the clubs because they were my late fathers.

Edited by thompsdw

I will join the choir and say keep using the PINGs for now.  If your driver is 6 or more years old, you could probably benefit from a newer one, but I would still start with the old one. I don't know about your age or game level, but hybrids and fairways have also had some improvements in the last 5-6 years. If yours are less than 10 years old, though, I would still start with them and get some good instruction to start off on the right foot.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Note: This thread is 1849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!