Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
svchiefs19

Why does Tiger Woods have a Ping putter grip?

24 posts in this topic

on SportsCenter this morning it showed Tiger crouched down reading a putt and i noticed that his putter had a Ping grip. The club itself is a Titleist, but why does he have a Ping grip?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Its a pingman blackout grip. I used to use them on my old anser. They're very good grips, and they're very comfortable. Those grips really seem to wick away sweat good, too. Tiger has probably used them since he was an ameteur and prefers the feel. Scotty Cameron makes a studio design grip based on the pingman, but he has no obligation to use anything made by titliest.

Yep. Tiger is a creature of habit and has always used the black Ping putter grip on his Scotty Cameron. Might have something to do with being the best clutch putter of all time and he sees no reason to change.

I noticed that too. I thought it was interesting. It kind of makes you realize how ridiculous it is to match stuff.

He used a Ping Anser as a kid and in college and kept the same style grip when he turned pro, just he got a new putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Have you also noticed he uses a Nike Headcover on his putter...

I have heard that he blacks in the Ping logo with a Sharpie

I think he used to do that but then PING started making them with the logo in black.

Lol, really? Wow, what a joke.

It looks like a sweet grip. I want to get that on my Scotty Cameron, just the Red or Black Titleist version of it.

Yes he does and he's far from the only person on the PGA Tour that has a headcover that isn't the same as the club it's protecting. It's much more common practice than people would think.

Lol, really? Wow, what a joke.

Not a joke really. If they paid me 90 million dollars a year they could tattoo a swoosh on my "shag bag".

on SportsCenter this morning it showed Tiger crouched down reading a putt and i noticed that his putter had a Ping grip. The club itself is a Titleist, but why does he have a Ping grip?

Have you seen how much a replacement Scotty Cameron grip costs ??

LOL haha, funny post.

But in seriousness, how much does a replacement Scotty grip run you?

He talked about that in a Golf Digest interview quite a while back. He always used a Ping putter since he was a kid and he doesn't want to change the feel in his hands. Needless to say its worked for him.

Heck yeah....dang things are high and Tiger has to save up for them. Poor fella has been forced to use the same putter for the last 14 majors he's won. Maybe he'll have enough dough to get a new wand every year like me and the rest of the hacks I play with.

LOL haha, funny post.

Probably around 25 bucks installed. Depending on the grip. You dont have to send it in to the custom shop for a grip change, its overkill. Golf retailers like Golfsmith or Golf Galaxy usually have standard SC grips. The one that is simiar to the pingman Tiger uses is the studio deisgn grip, i belive. I use a Red Baby T on mine.

Maybe he lost the Cameron cover and didn't want to spend $85 to get a new one, lol.

Heck yeah....dang things are high and Tiger has to save up for them. Poor fella has been forced to use the same putter for the last 14 majors he's won. Maybe he'll have enough dough to get a new wand every year like me and the rest of the hacks I play with.

13 majors. He won the first with a TeI3.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades