IGNORED

Any low handicapper who doesn't use driver?

very handicap
Note: This thread is 4912 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

No matter how large or forgiving the clubface is on a driver, the simple rule of physics is, the less loft on the club the more tilt axis (side spin) created. So really unless you are playing a course that is over 7000 yds, a driver is not really needed 14 times a round. Even then when I play courses 7000+, i'm usually only getting the driver out on par 4's that are longer then 460 and par 5's that are longer then 580. Of course everyone would love to be right at 100 yds out in the middle of the fairway on every hole, But why take an unnecessary risk when you can just hitting a longer iron shot into the green.

My driver stayed in the bag all the past season. I simply could not use it!

I am used to blades and small compact driver heads (I learnt golf playing such type of clubs) and driver is my main problem. Heads are too big today and offers too much inertia during the swing (not only at impact!). Shafts are too long too. So I played my 3 wood and did not really suffer from this. I can make what I want with this club...

I am now getting back to the driver but a 400cc cuted to 44", with a 95X flex shaft in order to have the "quietest" driver...

No matter how large or forgiving the clubface is on a driver, the simple rule of physics is, the less loft on the club the more tilt axis (side spin) created. So really unless you are playing a course that is over 7000 yds, a driver is not really needed 14 times a round. Even then when I play courses 7000+, i'm usually only getting the driver out on par 4's that are longer then 460 and par 5's that are longer then 580. Of course everyone would love to be right at 100 yds out in the middle of the fairway on every hole, But why take an unnecessary risk when you can just hitting a longer iron shot into the green.

Your more likely to be closer to the pin with a 100 yard shot than a 150 yard shot.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Your more likely to be closer to the pin with a 100 yard shot than a 150 yard shot.

But which approach is being hit from the better lie?

I'd rather have a 150 yard shot from a flat lie in the middle of the fairway than be 100 yards out on a sidehill, with a buried lie, and stymied behind a shrub. In reality, I'm probably just as likely to make par from either lie, but a lot of bad lies and searching for balls is a recipe for slow play and a long day. I'm not saying people need to always forego the driver, but for most players, whatever gets you out to < 175 yards on the short stuff is the best choice. On the other hand, if you're having a good driving day (striping fairways) and there's no penalty for hitting through the landing area (where I play, usually there is), go for it.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I have no problem hitting either 3W or Driver...at my home course I pull the Driver out on every 4 and 2 of the 3 par 5's...now when I play other courses and most for the first time...the Driver stays in the bag unles it's a straight hole with an obvious and welcoming fairway/landing area. To each his own, I personally think if you can hit the D over the 3, you'll make a believer outta me.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

There was this guy who won the British Open a few years ago, hitting driver only once. I'm not sure what his handicap was at the time.

But unless you're risking hitting it through the fairway, a properly-fit driver is the best bet off the tee for most of us. If you are preferring a 3-wood, maybe consider a shorter driver shaft and/or a high-lofted driver.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't get why this topic is so complex. Whatever personal decision that you make to score better is the only deciding factor. I shot an 80 the other day on and only hit my driver twice. That was a mix of my driver being off that day, and the type of course I played (very tight). On other days, I may play a course that is a bit more wide open and doesn't punish as much and on those days, I may hit the driver more. At the level of golf that we all play, do whatever works for you and whatever enables you to score best!

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I don't get why this topic is so complex. Whatever personal decision that you make to score better is the only deciding factor. I shot an 80 the other day on and only hit my driver twice. That was a mix of my driver being off that day, and the type of course I played (very tight). On other days, I may play a course that is a bit more wide open and doesn't punish as much and on those days, I may hit the driver more. At the level of golf that we all play, do whatever works for you and whatever enables you to score best!

I agree 100%. I play a variety of tracks and I'm asking for trouble if I whip out driver on every par 4/5....especially the holes with narrow fairways, severe doglegs, or tight landing areas. On wide open courses I'll bomb away. I know that I'm more accurate with my 3 wood compared to driver but one of my buddies who has the same handicap as me (11) has a hard time with 3 wood off the tee and almost always hits driver. Yes...new drivers are more forgiving but I know that I'm more accurate with higher lofted clubs.

The OP stated that he struggles at times with driver so it makes sense for him to use a club off the tee that will get him in the short grass.

Cleveland Classic XL 10.5 Rombax 6X07
Titleist 904F Aldila NV
Nickent 3DX hybrid

MX-25 irons & MP-R wedges

Odyssey #5

Leopold GX1/Skycaddie SG5

Sun Mountain Hybrid Bag

I agree 100%. I play a variety of tracks and I'm asking for trouble if I whip out driver on every par 4/5 on the ones with narrow fairways, severe doglegs, and tight landing areas. On wide open courses I'll bomb away. I know that I'm more accurate with my 3 wood compared to driver but one of my buddies who has the same handicap as me (11) has a hard time with 3 wood off the tee and almost always hits driver. Yes...new drivers are more forgiving but I know that I'm more accurate with higher lofted clubs.

I'm not in the right handicap range for this thread (yet), but when I learned to play, the conventional wisdom was, get to the 150 yard marker. It's often the widest and flattest position on any par 4 or 5.

These threads are funny - I'm cheating myself by using blades, but will never lower my handicap unless I use the driver at every opportunity. What the hell?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'm not in the right handicap range for this thread (yet), but when I learned to play, the conventional wisdom was, get to the 150 yard marker. It's often the widest and flattest position on any par 4 or 5.

Well said...I'm just a midhandicapper too but even I know that it is bad advice to tell someone to use driver on every hole.

Cleveland Classic XL 10.5 Rombax 6X07
Titleist 904F Aldila NV
Nickent 3DX hybrid

MX-25 irons & MP-R wedges

Odyssey #5

Leopold GX1/Skycaddie SG5

Sun Mountain Hybrid Bag

Well said...I'm just a midhandicapper too but even I know that it is bad advice to tell someone to use driver on every hole.

My opinion is based on the courses I usually play (older tracks) not on a general rule for all golfers on all courses.

My favourite course has trouble on most tee shots, often starting at 260, I'll use an iron or maybe a 5-wood on about 1/2 the par 4s and one of the par 5s. If there's a decided advantage to being > 270 yards off the tee (like the other par 4s and 3 of 4 par 5s), I'll definitely go with the driver.

Use the driver, you don't need to use it every time, but leave it in the bag. At my course I only use the driver in the 2th hole cause it's not that narrow, but the other holes fairways are very narrow like 30 - 35 yards wide and if you don't hit them you are in the trees loosing some shots. Practice with it, don't try to kill the ball, try to hit it solid.

Cheers!

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

I have a friend that once told me not to be afraid of any club in your bag including your driver.

I have been playing for 24 years and just recently realized how important the short game is to your overall game.

If your goal is too shoot consistently below 90 work on your short game and keep track of your putts per round and up and down to one putt.

Your driver is important maybe not so much now but eventually for your overall game
to become a single digit and to help you shoot under par.

Practicing your wedges will help your overall game since your focus is on the impact zone and will help you shoot consistently under 90 and another benefit will be the ability to hit your other clubs with more consistently and maybe your driver also.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

On courses that are over 6700 yds or greater, I would find it very hard to shoot low, without using driver
hitting a 5w or 3i from the tee on a long par 4 or 5, its certainly alot harder to hit an approach shot close and soft w a long iron in your hand
plus, if you can hit driver and then 7i or smaller in, for me, thats alot easier and im way more accurate
I couldnt NOT hit driver

agreed, it may not be needed on every hole, but I use mine alot
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

No..i use it as much as I can. Unless in obvious situations where the outcome of a bad drive would end up in a hazard or other mess too difficult to get up and down from. Its always nice to be taking shorter clubs into the greens. My philosophy on driving is that if the second shot is playable to the green, it was a good drive. I dont get too caught up in hitting fairways as a metric for success or failure.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

• 7 months later...

I just read every post and I have the following question for the OP:

What is considered a "Low Handicapper"? The answer may be that it is relative to each person...for instance I play to around an 8 handicap and I consider a low handicapper as anyone below 5...to each his own I guess...

Now to answer the quesion (if I may as an 8 handicap):

I think it matters on two things as follows:

1) The course you are playing (tightness, length, etc...)

2) If you can hit a driver with any consistency at all

For me in reference to #1 above, if I play a course that is 6,500 or less I may not even bring a driver to fight off temptation as on courses of that length "most of the time" I find my driver length brings all the trouble into play (avg 250-270) so I am better off with my 3 wood (strong 3 wood which is very good for off the tee and I avg 230-250.

For me in reference to #2 above, I actually am having trouble with my driver swing and have been testing many different driver set ups (loft, shafts, shaft length, etc..) to try and find a set up that works with my recent swing change...you see I do a version (my version) of the stack & tilt and basically hit down and pivot around a steady head with every club in the bag...this works extremely well with irons and even my strong 3 wood but I am having trouble finding a driver set up that works...wish me luck in my seach!

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

I consider myself not a low handicapper, but until this year, I only used driver on par 5's if I wanted to reach the green in two. I have been using the driver more this year because I have been playing from the tips. But when I play the blue tees (we have white = regular men, blue = bogey or better golfers black or gold for single HC), I only use 3 W off the tee, except for par 5's.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4912 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!