IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2405 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Before he takes up Erik's offer…

He won't. It's pointless to talk about it unless odds are defied…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by acerimusdux

I think you do need some of that course time in order for what you are learning in those drills to be integrated into your game. But I don't think he really needs to be playing every day for that, either. A few rounds a week is probably plenty. I'm sure there are people who play a lot more than that, but don't make much progress, because they aren't really pushing themselves in a disciplined way to improve weaknesses and learn new skills.

Ideally he might also work up to an hour a day of physical conditioning and strength training into his routine.

Point though is, none of this needs to be all consuming. There's plenty of time to do other things, including even working a job. It's more about having the discipline to schedule that few hours a day, every day, and stick with it. If you tried to "work" at something like golf for 8+ hours a day, you might just make yourself more likely to burn out.

Dan is not all that strong. Before he takes up Erik's offer, he should get as much strength as he can. . .

You've mentioned this many times before. And many people on his blog for years it seems. If he hasn't started up before, I don't know why he'd start now. The motivation doesn't seem like it's there.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

He won't. It's pointless to talk about it unless odds are defied…

Yeah, probably so. Too bad for him. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

[QUOTE name="Crim" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/2934#post_1124977"]   Dan only practices 3 hours a day? I was under the impression he quit his job for this? [/QUOTE] One of the significant results of the "deliberate practice" research is that it can be counterproductive to do more than about 4 hours a day. There's only so much your mind/body can absorb on a regular basis in one day. For most people the optimal amount is thought to be 3-4 hours, probably best divided into two sessions. And even 2 hours a day is enough to make substantial progress. So I wouldn't assume doing it "full time" means he will make that much faster progress. Ideally though, I think he'd be doing 2-3 hours of intense drills every day, and then just go out and play golf.

Agree. Not a linear relationship. Double hours don't double speed of progression. On the other hand you hear all these stories about pros who practiced all day when they were kids. Maybe there's a caveat for those under a certain age?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Agree. Not a linear relationship. Double hours don't double speed of progression. On the other hand you hear all these stories about pros who practiced all day when they were kids. Maybe there's a caveat for those under a certain age?

It could also be just that those pros loved playing golf so much that they lived and breathed the sport as kids?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Just saw the posts Aaron and Erik made in Dan's blog. Dan would be remiss to ignore this offer, but by reading his Twitters it looks like he thinks he's a golf star already. It would be difficult to imagine that his ego is not inflated to the size of a Goodyear blimp at this point in time. Not sure if he knows he needs the help. Someone on this site should set a goal to get better than Dan in a shorter time. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Just saw the posts Aaron and Erik made in Dan's blog. Dan would be remiss to ignore this offer, but by reading his Twitters it looks like he thinks he's a golf star already. It would be difficult to imagine that his ego is not inflated to the size of a Goodyear blimp at this point in time. Not sure if he knows he needs the help.

Someone on this site should set a goal to get better than Dan in a shorter time. . .

He would appear to making a point of ignoring them. They've beeen there for a week.

Now.....if it was an offer of an article with a cover photo, that's different.

Remember folks, it's not about golf, it's about Dan.

He clearly sees a path towards motivational speaker. Luckily for him, his audiences won't know the real story.

"HI honey. This guy spoke at the conference today. He quit his job to become a golf pro and he'd never played before. Amazing!!!"

Dan had better pray that I'm not in any of his audiences at question time.

And yes Lihu, he does seem to think he's a star already.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

He would appear to making a point of ignoring them. They've beeen there for a week.

Now.....if it was an offer of an article with a cover photo, that's different.

Remember folks, it's not about golf, it's about Dan.

He clearly sees a path towards motivational speaker. Luckily for him, his audiences won't know the real story.

"HI honey. This guy spoke at the conference today. He quit his job to become a golf pro and he'd never played before. Amazing!!!"

Dan had better pray that I'm not in any of his audiences at question time.

And yes Lihu, he does seem to think he's a star already.

The power of good marketing. . .he might just get that sponsors exemption after all and make his stated goal. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

The power of good marketing. . .he might just get that sponsors exemption after all and make his stated goal.

Is Dan foolish enough to accept a sponsor's exemption?  No way he breaks triple digits with a Tour set up. . . not to mention his inability to manage pressure.

Is Dan foolish enough to accept a sponsor's exemption?  No way he breaks triple digits with a Tour set up. . . not to mention his inability to manage pressure.

I think he could shoot in the 90s and possibly 80s on one of the 2 days he gets to play. We probably won't hear about it except in his circles of gossip. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Well, I suppose the 74 (2.1 differential) he posted today supports your take.

He'll probably come in last, and to be honest, that's all he needs. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Just saw the posts Aaron and Erik made in Dan's blog. Dan would be remiss to ignore this offer, but by reading his Twitters it looks like he thinks he's a golf star already. It would be difficult to imagine that his ego is not inflated to the size of a Goodyear blimp at this point in time. Not sure if he knows he needs the help.

Someone on this site should set a goal to get better than Dan in a shorter time. . .

Having finished the longform piece I posted above, I can see why he wouldn't take the offer. And to him, Erik is an unknown entity. I wonder if his experience with the first pro made him gun shy w/respect to instructors.

• Upvote 1

Steve

Having finished the longform piece I posted above, I can see why he wouldn't take the offer. And to him, Erik is an unknown entity. I wonder if his experience with the first pro made him gun shy w/respect to instructors.

I think there are a lot of real life considerations besides "The Plan" that would factor into the decision. Put yourself in his shoes: would you be willing to move across the country, away from your friends and family, to a place you don't know and spend money you might not have to live there? That, alone, is a hard pill to swallow, even before considering that he doesn't know who Erik is, etc.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

[QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/2940_30#post_1125812"]   Having finished the longform piece I posted above, I can see why he wouldn't take the offer. And to him, Erik is an unknown entity. I wonder if his experience with the first pro made him gun shy w/respect to instructors. [/QUOTE] I think there are a lot of real life considerations besides "The Plan" that would factor into the decision. Put yourself in his shoes: would you be willing to move across the country, away from your friends and family, to a place you don't know and spend money you might not have to live there? That, alone, is a hard pill to swallow, even before considering that he doesn't know who Erik is, etc.

And this is just speculation but it seems like he really likes where he lives. I'm biased but Portland / Oregon is a beautiful area and just a plain old nice place to live. I'd be hard pressed to leave, but NY/PA has its nice parts too.

Steve

Quote:

Originally Posted by billchao

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

I think there are a lot of real life considerations besides "The Plan" that would factor into the decision. Put yourself in his shoes: would you be willing to move across the country, away from your friends and family, to a place you don't know and spend money you might not have to live there? That, alone, is a hard pill to swallow, even before considering that he doesn't know who Erik is, etc.

And this is just speculation but it seems like he really likes where he lives. I'm biased but Portland / Oregon is a beautiful area and just a plain old nice place to live. I'd be hard pressed to leave, but NY/PA has its nice parts too.

The traffic has gotten out of hand in the last 10 years, though.  I lived in PDX from 2000-2005 and go back occasionally to visit.  I can't believe the growth/building, traffic, and complete lack of parking (in that order.)

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Just read the latest post. No comments on the offer by @iacas . Nothing on what he's doing w/respect to practicing.

Steve

It rains too much to produce much in the way of professional golfers though. I live here and I love it, 3/4 of the years we have mud balls though

Note: This thread is 2405 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!