IGNORED

Playing 9 or 18 by yourself.

formula428
Note: This thread is 3131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 members have voted

1. 1. Go golfing (9 or 18) by yourself?

• Absolutely, there's nothing wrong with doing that.
    • It's a little lousy, wait until you get another or several before going to a course.

For those of you who like to play a solo round of golf, two questions:

1) Do you take a cart?

2) What is your record time for 18 holes?

When I play solo I always walk and finish 18 holes in around 2 hours 45 minutes.  My record is 2 hours 20 minutes.

1) Only if the course is too difficult to walk. Usually I'll pick a easy-walking course if I'm alone.

2) Best I've ever done on a regulation course is 2:15, but it was a kind of short one at that. If I'm alone, I'll play an executive course often and I can cover that in 1:50 if I'm not held up.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1) Do you take a cart? 2) What is your record time for 18 holes?

1) I almost always walk when I go alone. 2) my "alone" rounds are 9 hole rounds. Usually about 1.5 don't keep good track of time. This evening it was 1hour and 35 minutes. Never saw another golfer after the first tee.

Respectfully,

1) Do you take a cart?

When I play solo I always walk and finish 18 holes in around 2 hours 45 minutes.  My record is 2 hours 20 minutes.

I used to live in the desert and in the summer I'd get a monthly pass to a local course and I'd go out on weekdays at about 11:00, because it was already hot and not many people would be out on the course.  One time when it was particularly empty I tried to see how fast I could get around and made it in about 1:45.  And the course is not a pushover - it hosted a PGA tour event for several years in the early 60s, and while not in the greatest shape any more, it is still pretty challenging.  In some ways it is tougher now than when there was a tour event there because the trees have grown up.  FWIW, my recollection is that I played pretty well.

Sometimes, you aren't so lucky. Kind of hard to concentrate when you have golf snobs walking past you as you setup for your shot while holding a conversation at the top of their voices bragging about how good they are at golf by recounting some past golf stories. Sometimes, those same golfers might also slam their clubs into the tee box, to make sure you understand that slicing to a non-optimal second shot position is not normal to their skill level. Another concern is if this same golf snob is going to hit you with his club by taking full speed practice swings at multiple and random locations around the tee box as if to warn you that he doesn't give a crap about your safety even if you are 10 yards away from the tee. The worst part is that these are golfers in the 10-15 handicap range, and have to re-count your strokes to make sure you are scoring yourself on the up and up, because it really upsets them if you shoot the same score as them or better. Better not to announce that you just made a par or birdie on a hole.

Wow, you run into some strange dudes. I play a LOT with random strangers and while not every one is future best friend material I can honestly say I have run into very very few people I would want to avoid in the future. And nothing like what you are encountering.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Wow, you run into some strange dudes. I play a LOT with random strangers and while not every one is future best friend material I can honestly say I have run into very very few people I would want to avoid in the future. And nothing like what you are encountering.

I have been playing daily, and apparently you meet every kind. I have to admit this was only one encounter. MOST of the people I have met are people I would play a round with again.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Sometimes, you aren't so lucky. Kind of hard to concentrate when you have golf snobs walking past you as you setup for your shot while holding a conversation at the top of their voices bragging about how good they are at golf by recounting some past golf stories. Sometimes, those same golfers might also slam their clubs into the tee box, to make sure you understand that slicing to a non-optimal second shot position is not normal to their skill level. Another concern is if this same golf snob is going to hit you with his club by taking full speed practice swings at multiple and random locations around the tee box as if to warn you that he doesn't give a crap about your safety even if you are 10 yards away from the tee. The worst part is that these are golfers in the 10-15 handicap range, and have to re-count your strokes to make sure you are scoring yourself on the up and up, because it really upsets them if you shoot the same score as them or better. Better not to announce that you just made a par or birdie on a hole.

Those kind of people need to be set straight real quick. If it takes applying the same respect to him or even warning him that those actions that threaten your well are not in his best interest, it needs to be done. If you do feel threatened and it's obvious he doesn't care then just make sure you get rid of all the evidence and any witnesses or just let him play ahead or go home. Once someone screws up your rhythm or upsets you enough that you fear for your safety, I say shoot him. Not with a bullet, but maybe an insult or two, and a well placed upper cut. I mean if you have a club whizzing by your head and you told him but he still does it, I would take that as attempted assault and deal with it as deemed appropriate by law.

Those kind of people need to be set straight real quick. If it takes applying the same respect to him or even warning him that those actions that threaten your well are not in his best interest, it needs to be done. If you do feel threatened and it's obvious he doesn't care then just make sure you get rid of all the evidence and any witnesses or just let him play ahead or go home. Once someone screws up your rhythm or upsets you enough that you fear for your safety, I say shoot him. Not with a bullet, but maybe an insult or two, and a well placed upper cut. I mean if you have a club whizzing by your head and you told him but he still does it, I would take that as attempted assault and deal with it as deemed appropriate by law.

The best way to deal with them is to avoid them in the future. That's what I'll do anyway. Golf is supposed to be fun, and there are a lot more people who feel this way than not. Sorry to have upset you with this story, but I reported it just to vent more than anything else. Enough venting, let's go play some golf. The weekend is here! :-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

The best way to deal with them is to avoid them in the future. That's what I'll do anyway. Golf is supposed to be fun, and there are a lot more people who feel this way than not. Sorry to have upset you with this story, but I reported it just to vent more than anything else. Enough venting, let's go play some golf. The weekend is here! :-)

Oh, no issue here. I was just offering some options. I can't really let anything upset me before or during a round or even practicing. If I have negative issues running around upstairs I am just about worthless on the golf course. So much of it, at least for me, is mental. I need to be balanced spiritually, mentally and physically. The whole nine yards. I remember once my wife and I were arguing about something and she said why don't you just go to the golf course. I said yeah right. I had to explain to her why it wouldn't work and I that I never go when I am upset. She apologized loved on me for about an hour and sent me to the club. I had a great round.

It's interesting . I had my best round last year when I had sex with my GF then rushed to the golf course and tee off 30 mins later I tried the sex the night before but it doesn't seem to work as well

The best practice rounds I've ever had were 9 holes by myself! Try playing 2 balls on every shot, and then play the successive shot from the worst of the 2. Continue until holing out. Great practice and you actually hit a ton of different shots. Plus making the first downhill 4 footer makes the second one so difficult!!

That's exactly how Greg Norman used to practice.

• Upvote 1

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

The best practice rounds I've ever had were 9 holes by myself! Try playing 2 balls on every shot, and then play the successive shot from the worst of the 2. Continue until holing out. Great practice and you actually hit a ton of different shots. Plus making the first downhill 4 footer makes the second one so difficult!!

This only works if your worst shot is still usable.

That's exactly how Greg Norman used to practice.

It might be a game that lower handicaps can use to get better, but for now, I play whatever I can get.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

In my case, I have just moved to another town 60 north of my hometown.  I know very few people here. That is kind of the beauty of the whole thing in that I get to play golf with some new people. I miss my group at my old home course, but this is a great adventure and an opportunity to meet and make new friends. Yes you do sometimes get "stuck" with some real "winners" who are not personable, but generally it is a good experience and a lot of fun.

1) Do you take a cart?

"THE COURSE" is everything.................. I've walked 18 as a single in 2 1/2 hrs before.  I played 18 in a cart in 1hr 40 minutes.   I was a member at a club years ago, and my regular 4some walked 18 on average in 3hrs to 3:15 minutes.  We never rushed....we were all competent players, played early,  and played ready golf. We all walked to our balls and hit without unnecessary delay.........LOL Pretty simple!!!  These were classic courses with the next tee very close to the green.  Compact course designs.........

Many modern course designs are spaced out over a huge area and these are an entirely different animal.  Some aren't even walkable by most standards.   My current home course is one of these.....There is only 1 group I have ever seen walk this course!  Go freaking figure, they are members that OWN the first tee time every weekend.   Don't get me wrong.....  They "HAUL AZZZ" as walkers....I give them props for that!!  The problem is this course is HUGE and SPREAD OUT.   They can play slightly under 4hrs depending on who is playing....(they rarely have 4 players)   In spite of how fast they play walking, they are too slow to be first off......IMO.   I do play with them at times, but I always have to wait on them.   IMO....the first group off on this course should be riding.   If I get to the course early enough to 'pair up'........I often take a pass and jump in front of them.

This is only a partial reason, but I may change courses/membership in 2015 and go back to my previous home golf club.   I like to play early on the weekends and I never got settled into a "regular weekend group" at Stone Canyon because the first group walks..........they are all great guys, but I don't fit into this walking group.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

The only problem I have with solo is some holes on my course play directly into the sun in the evenings. Overcast is no problem but when the sun is out I often never see my ball flight on tee shots. Without a partner I have no idea where to look. Believe it or not, all my tee shots are not dead center in the short grass.
  • Upvote 1

As indicated in a couple of my other threads, I just got into the sport/game seriously only a few weeks ago.  It seems like back then, everyone wanted to go golfing.  After I get all my new clubs/bag/balls/etc everyone cannot make time for it.  However, I still want to get better.  I hit the range at least once per week.  However, I want to actually go to a course.  I mean, isn't that the point?

So, since I have no one who currently wants to golf, how "lame" is it to just go and play 9 or 18 by yourself?  Does anyone routinely do that?

I do.

It seems like golf is one of the rare sports where it is perfectly fine to do so.

Actually, sometimes I prefer to go by myself. I'm usually out with my best buddy, and sometimes that makes me take it less seriously (beers, cigar etc...).

I think I probably go out and play 9 once a week on my own.

• 5 weeks later...

It weakens your legs so your drives will not be as long, ;)

If sex is weakening your legs you may not be doing it right. ;-)

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

If sex is weakening your legs you may not be doing it right.  ;-)

If he is doing the gumba malamba it would definitely weaken the legs ;)

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Note: This thread is 3131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!