IGNORED

14 clubs, not enough

Note: This thread is 3901 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a gap at 110 yards and I'm trying to figure out how to address it. I currently have in my bag a driver, 4wood and 3,4&5 hybrids. these clubs all serve me well and I have a use for all of them. After that I have 5 thru PW irons. sand wedge and a 60. My 5 iron is my 170 to 180 yard club, my 5H is my 180 to 190 yard club. I really like having that flexibility for windy days or terrain changes, or when I'm hitting one particular club poorly I can adjust with another club.

I don't have room for a gap wedge. I am leaning toward going with a 52* for my sand/gap wedge and a 58* in place of my 60. Any thoughts??

In my bag....

Bombtech Grenade driver. 10.5* Aldila DVS60 stiff, 45"

Ping i20 irons, ProjectX5.5. 5 thru PW.

Tour Edge 3 Hybrid, Adams A7 4Hybrid

Titelist SM4 52-8. 56-12

Cleveland RTX 60-12 wedge.

Tour Edge xcg5 15* 3 Wood

Cheap crappy Wilson putter that works as well as anything for me.

It's a work in progress, I've only been playing for going on two years or so.

I carry a driver, 13.5 three metal, 19 hybrid, 4-PW, 52, 56 & 60.  While I might have some gaps with the longer clubs, I don't think it is that significant as it is hard to be perfectly accurate with them a lot of the time.

For bunkers, I use both my 56 which has 14° bounce and my 60 which has 7° depending on the length of shot and consistency of the sand.

For you, 52 & 58 may be a good way to go but I would give consideration to having at least one with a decent amount of bounce.

What is your distance with 4 wd compared to your 3 hybrid?

maybe there is some room.

For me personal i went with the other option.

driver, 3wd, 2hy. 3-pw and a 52 and 58 wedge. I use the 58 as a lob/sand wedge.

and indeed the 52 is my 110 yard club

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

You mention that you like flexibility on windy days..... Your bag need not be static. If a particular course, or weather conditions dictate a different mix of clubs, then so be it. Don't be afraid to drop one club for another. 14 clubs are more than enough. They just might not be the same 14 from day to day....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by madolive3

I have a gap at 110 yards and I'm trying to figure out how to address it. I currently have in my bag a driver, 4wood and 3,4&5 hybrids. these clubs all serve me well and I have a use for all of them. After that I have 5 thru PW irons. sand wedge and a 60. My 5 iron is my 170 to 180 yard club, my 5H is my 180 to 190 yard club. I really like having that flexibility for windy days or terrain changes, or when I'm hitting one particular club poorly I can adjust with another club.

I don't have room for a gap wedge. I am leaning toward going with a 52* for my sand/gap wedge and a 58* in place of my 60. Any thoughts??

Nope, 14 clubs is enough. Just make a choice, 1 extra wedge or 1 extra hybrid. Which do you hit more often, which do you think will improve your game?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by David in FL

You mention that you like flexibility on windy days..... Your bag need not be static. If a particular course, or weather conditions dictate a different mix of clubs, then so be it. Don't be afraid to drop one club for another.

14 clubs are more than enough. They just might not be the same 14 from day to day....

This exactly, my bag changes depending on the weather and if I play a different course than my home course.

OP:  I'd guess your 4w and 3h have to be very close in distance, so I'd swap out one of those for the extra wedge.

Joe Paradiso

I'll be honest here, I feel like having the right club for those shorter shots will be more beneficial than having 2 long clubs that hit almost the same distance. Perhaps it's more because I have more distance on my shots I'm more comfortable having more wedges though. Right now I don't even have a hybrid or fairway wood in my bag, just a driver 4i-lob wedge and putter. I'm 1 club short of a full set now so I may pick up a 4 or 5w, but there aren't any courses in my area that would take me more than a driver and long iron to be on in 2 on the par 5s. Even so, 3 shots to a par 5 still gives you a shot a birdie.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I would never hesitate to drop a longer club for an extra wedge. I already carry a 50, 56, and 60, and I'm thinking about dropping the 3 iron for a 64*. Scoring is done from 100 yards and in.

Tyler Martin

Do you have a half swing with 8 iron through 60?  Figure out a consistent swing and figure the distances.  I'll bet one fills the gap.  You might also find that if you get good with the half shot it is more accurate than a full shot.

Looks like too many long clubs to me. I suppose everyone plays a different game but I use the short end of the bag more than the long. It's driver and 4w from the tee and anything 4h-6i is recovery shots and long par 3's. I carry 4 wedges, 5 if you count the PW and I use those more than anything but the putter. My 4-5h replaced my 4-5i. Even though I hit them a little further it's more about the relative ease of hitting those clubs from crummy lies than anything. If I keep it in the fairway the only time they come out of the bag is longer par 3's. I've even considered swapping out my 6i for a 7h.

Dave :-)

I've never liked hybrids much, don't know why except maybe the only ones I've ever used had a lot of offset. I agree though, most of scoring is done from shorter distances and those are what I focus on. I have 50* 52* 55* and 60* wedges. The 50 was just added as part of my new iron set so I'll probably take the 52 out for a 64.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I agree with the general consensus here on this thread. I would drop a longer hybrid for an additional wedge.

Personally, the way I look at it is this: If I am 250 out. Chances of me sticking a shot close are slim. I am okay not having the 5 wood. I tend to miss a lot of greens as well. Having the additional short game tools benefits me when I am carrying that gap wedge.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. I thought I had it all figured out, I was going to replace my 5I with a gap wedge, but then yesterday I needed it on a 175 yard par3. I stuck that green with the 5i. If I had to use the 6i, I would've had to swing a little harder, and we all know what that does. My 5h on the other hand is a little too much for that distance.

Last hole I rolled it up on the green from about 195-205 with my 4H. I just love those hybrids, I hit them so well.

I think that I'll start by replacing my sand wedge with a 52* volkey and go from there.

I guess we'll see how the new gap at 80 yards affects my game.

Beat my two playing partners for the first time yesterday. Milestone for me, they have been playing for at least ten years. I also broke 100 for the first time, surprising how difficult this game is. I played very well for me and still only scored a 97.

In my bag....

Bombtech Grenade driver. 10.5* Aldila DVS60 stiff, 45"

Ping i20 irons, ProjectX5.5. 5 thru PW.

Tour Edge 3 Hybrid, Adams A7 4Hybrid

Titelist SM4 52-8. 56-12

Cleveland RTX 60-12 wedge.

Tour Edge xcg5 15* 3 Wood

Cheap crappy Wilson putter that works as well as anything for me.

It's a work in progress, I've only been playing for going on two years or so.

Instead of making an equipment change, you could take your PW or what ever your closest club is, choke down and make a 75% (or whatever % is needed) swing for that 110 yardage.

The typical 52 does not have sufficient bounce for long bunker shots around the green.

I'm with the other members - drop a long hybrid and add a gap wedge, although I'm prone to add a 50 (bent to 51) if your PW is 46-47.

You can grip down on the PW, as mentioned above - that will typically produce a lower ball flight, something you don't want in a Gap - for a gap, you want it to drop and stop.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

I'll be honest here, I feel like having the right club for those shorter shots will be more beneficial than having 2 long clubs that hit almost the same distance. Perhaps it's more because I have more distance on my shots I'm more comfortable having more wedges though. Right now I don't even have a hybrid or fairway wood in my bag, just a driver 4i-lob wedge and putter. I'm 1 club short of a full set now so I may pick up a 4 or 5w, but there aren't any courses in my area that would take me more than a driver and long iron to be on in 2 on the par 5s. Even so, 3 shots to a par 5 still gives you a shot a birdie.

I can agree with you on the par 5 thing. But at my course you have to play with your mind, put the ball in the right spots, with only a driver off the tee i get problems water or bunkers getting into play. So sometimes it's just better to go with 3 wd off the tee or maybe even hybrid.

And than if the wind is blowing on several par 5's i just might need a hybrid to get there. Just not possible to get a driver into the wind to go 350 yards.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Originally Posted by tomvk77

I can agree with you on the par 5 thing. But at my course you have to play with your mind, put the ball in the right spots, with only a driver off the tee i get problems water or bunkers getting into play. So sometimes it's just better to go with 3 wd off the tee or maybe even hybrid.

And than if the wind is blowing on several par 5's i just might need a hybrid to get there. Just not possible to get a driver into the wind to go 350 yards.

Definitely, depending on the course, you have to have more options off the tee. Nothing where I live needs quite so much thought typically. However, if I need to lay back on a shot 4i will go 220+ for me off the deck so unless a par 5 is more than 660 I'll be able to hit the green in 3 even with just that. You are a much better player than I am and probably have a higher golf IQ about what shot to play and what club to play. This is something I will need to work on if I ever decide to try some courses outside of my local area.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

14 is plenty, just pick the set up that works best for you. Play the correct tees and remember that par is established based on 2 putts per green plus how many shots it should take a very skilled player to reach the green. I know when I take out the idea of hitting par 5s in 2 (which for me is a very low percentage if over 210 yards out for my second-generally the case since most 5s I play ar over 500) the decision to have an extra wedge as opposed to a hybrid is simple.  Also, many have mentioned choking down and trying out less than full swings-this works great as well.

Note: This thread is 3901 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!