• Announcements

    • iacas

      Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

      Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BostonBrew

Haney's comments on Tiger after US Open

34 posts in this topic

Some tweets from Hank Haney about Tiger Woods:

“For whatever reason, Tiger doesn't prepare for majors as hard as he could”

“He plays the course in a rushed way maybe once or twice before the tournament week, then in the tournament week Tiger has gotten into a routine of playing nine-hole practice rounds on some days.”

And maybe a little bit of blame cast on Foley for Woods' lack of success. Haney states that Tiger was number 1 on Tour in GIR under him and Butch Harmon. He is currently 39th.

I personally don't like Foley because I don't believe he is very good at communicating what he is trying to teach. His speech feels like I'm reading an academic research paper and I often feel like he's trying harder to impress people with his knowledge than help them play better golf. But even I don't think Foley can be to blame for Tiger's recent woes at the Majors.

So is Haney correct or should he avoid commenting on Tiger Woods?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Haney is one of those guys I think should shut the hell up about everything. How is Foley to blame at all? Rose and Mahan played pretty damn well. How's any of Haney's students doing since working with him on the Haney Project? I've heard a couple stories of people going to Hank Haney and coming back with a ****ed up golf swing. As for the Tiger comments, I could care less. Tiger will win a major this year and everyone will eventually shut the hell up.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't Justin Rose a Foley student? Or am I mistaken?

Either way, I had respect for Haney before his book, now I think he's just an attention ***** who needs the spotlight to feel important.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by BostonBrew

I personally don't like Foley because I don't believe he is very good at communicating what he is trying to teach. His speech feels like I'm reading an academic research paper and I often feel like he's trying harder to impress people with his knowledge than help them play better golf. But even I don't think Foley can be to blame for Tiger's recent woes at the Majors.

You'd have to actually take a lesson from him to know that, wouldn't you?

I don't know if he's good or not. I know what you mean about how he sounds, but realize that he's talking about someone else's golf swing, and maybe he's trying to sound smart, or something. But to the students, they seem to think he communicates quite well.

As for Haney, he is trying to stay relevant. That's all.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Originally Posted by iacas

You'd have to actually take a lesson from him to know that, wouldn't you?

Right. I was just referring to the random instructional videos I've come across online.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for Haney, he is trying to stay relevant. That's all.

My thoughts exactly. He is still trying to profit on Tiger after all these years. The comments are unwarranted and an unnecessary shot at Tiger.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

My thoughts exactly. He is still trying to profit on Tiger after all these years. The comments are unwarranted and an unnecessary shot at Tiger.

Yup. Apparently the book wasn't enough.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Foley's students are doing pretty well in the past two years - TW, Rose, Hunter - he must be doing something right.  Having said that, maybe TW needs a short game / putting coach.  Where's Stricker when you need him?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hank must need to drive some new sales of his book and he's doing it at Tiger and Foley's expense.   I must have missed Ray Romano, Charles Barkley and Michael Phelps playing in the US Open.  Oh that's right, Hank doesn't coach pro's any more, he just cheap shots them and their coaches.  Go away Hank your 15 minutes were over a long time ago.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Either way, I had respect for Haney before his book, now I think he's just an attention ***** who needs the spotlight to feel important.

Yeah Rose is a Foley student. Maybe hank and Sergio can be shipped to the same remote island never to be heard from again.
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haney's a retard. He should give it up and retire. The guy is like 100 years old now.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by BostonBrew

“For whatever reason, Tiger doesn't prepare for majors as hard as he could”

“He plays the course in a rushed way maybe once or twice before the tournament week, then in the tournament week Tiger has gotten into a routine of playing nine-hole practice rounds on some days.”

I don't disagree with anybody's opinion on Haney, and I don't really care for him either - although my opinions aren't strong at all because I know little about him.  However,  I wonder if there may be some merit behind this.  These are just facts, right?  Tiger doesn't prepare as hard as he used to, and he doesn't hit as many greens as he used to.

It certainly could be a lot of nothing and Hank being an a-hole for no reason other than self interest ... but it at least makes me think about it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Looked up Tiger's numbers from the 2010 US Open (under Haney) and the 2013 US Open (under Foley) just for comparison. Also threw in Tour rankings for the year as well.

2010 US Open - Fairways hit: 69.64%

GIR: 59.72%

2010 Tour - Fairways hit: 57.21%

GIR: 64% (167th)

2013 US Open - Fairways hit: 69.64%

GIR: 65.28%

2012 Tour - Fairways hit: 63.93%

GIR: 67.58% (32nd)

By these numbers, it looks like Tiger is playing better under Foley. Looks like Haney may be talking out of his ass.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I don't disagree with anybody's opinion on Haney, and I don't really care for him either - although my opinions aren't strong at all because I know little about him.  However,  I wonder if there may be some merit behind this.  These are just facts, right?  Tiger doesn't prepare as hard as he used to, and he doesn't hit as many greens as he used to.

It certainly could be a lot of nothing and Hank being an a-hole for no reason other than self interest ... but it at least makes me think about it.

Tiger played 4 holes on Tuesdays practice round before Torrey.... All on the South Course when Pak and I walked the course that day. I'm not sure how many holes he played on Wednesday, if any?  Guess what?  He smoked the field and won the tournament.

It's Tiger Woods.  I dunno... Just my opinion... But would've playing Merion a half dozen times solved his putting woes??  Would it have solved his injured elbow?!  Haney is a dbag.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

I think if Tiger could've chipped and putted halfway decently he would've been in contention...
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Tiger played 4 holes on Tuesdays practice round before Torrey.... All on the South Course when Pak and I walked the course that day.  I'm not sure how many holes he played on Wednesday, if any?  Guess what?  He smoked the field and won the tournament.

It's Tiger Woods.  I dunno... Just my opinion... But would've playing Merion a half dozen times solved his putting woes??  Would it have solved his injured elbow?!  Haney is a dbag.

Regarding your last comment ... you're probably right.  I have no issues there. ;)

But if I was playing devil's advocate here I'd say that Haney's point still applies.  Tiger knows Torrey like the back of his hand, and Bay Hill, and Doral, and Firestone, etc, etc and every other course on the regular tour stops he plays.  The fact that he played well (would've been right there if he didn't hit the stupid flagstick) at Augusta even furthers Haney's "point" because that is the one major course he knows really, really well.  But the other major venues are courses he's not usually playing (usually ... obviously not Torrey and Pebble).

This is why I'm simply saying that Haney's comments at least make me think.  I simply wonder what his preparation routine was for the US Open, British, and PGA Championship, say, from 1999-2008 versus 2010-present.

I certainly don't care enough to try and look this up myself (wouldn't know where to start anyway) and I agree that there is a high chance that Haney is just a jerk who's talking out of ass.  But, then again, maybe he isn't???

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Tiger played 4 holes on Tuesdays practice round before Torrey.... All on the South Course when Pak and I walked the course that day.  I'm not sure how many holes he played on Wednesday, if any?  Guess what?  He smoked the field and won the tournament.

Haney is a dbag.

Torrey is well known by Tiger. He has played at that course since he was a child. He may have never played Merion until this year. So not a perfect comparison.

Your last comment is very accurate though.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0