IGNORED

Why Doesn't Tiger Hire a Mental Coach?

Chipless
Note: This thread is 3227 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I believe Tiger's problem is too much "HOW" and not enough "WHERE".

Nothing Foley is teaching him comes naturally, from the strong grip to the bent over posture to the super shallow move coming into the ball.

It rears it's ugly head on the big stage..........weekends at the majors.

It's leaked into his putting stroke too.

Dump Foley and go back to what his Dad taught him.

If the Foley method was to keep his body from injury, it's not working.

The guy was on his knees after hitting a shot for crying out loud, not to mention the neck, elbow, achilles............

Free the mind and fill it with the simple concepts his Dad and Butch taught.

He needs to give himself a chance to win the 5 majors.

I do believe Butch was good for Tiger and he should have never left him but Tiger is a tinkerer. You can look at it like a college education Tiger has 3 majors in the golf swing. Foley has high talent pros in his stable which have improved their game under his direction. Tiger has said it takes time to adjust to new swing mechanics and so he has proven in recapturing #1 in world rankings, winner of 2013 money title as well as the Vardon Trophy winner. Not shabby I say.

• 1 year later...

Thought of this thread again today.  Seems even more necessary now than it was two years ago...

I'm starting to think that it's really physical, not mental.  Too many operations.

I think he lost his mental edge when he went away from his Zen Buddhist practices. Things like being present,  being calm, and

not letting outside influences bother him.

Doug

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In a Jack Nicholas interview, he said that he offered to coach tiger shortly after the death of his father and help him get back on track to beat his record. Apparently tiger turned down the offer though.

In the bag:
Driver: R9 Supertri
3W: R9
3i-PW: Mizuno Mp-68
Wedges: Taylormade Racs
Putter: PING Redwood blade

In a Jack Nicholas interview, he said that he offered to coach tiger shortly after the death of his father and help him get back on track to beat his record. Apparently tiger turned down the offer though.

Too bad he did not take up Jack on it.

Why doesn't have one (that we know of)?

Self-Reliant all his life (stubborn)

Ego (large)

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Tiger doesn't need any coaches.He needs to get back on the tour and play competitive golf.

His natural talent is enough,coaches have ruined him.

agree---he needs to stop cherry picking tournaments  - he's no longer in the position to just play the big ones.....time to head for the tournaments that he used to slight.....the next three on the schedule would be good starts......#205 in the world can't cherry pick anymore.

Tiger doesn't need any coaches.He needs to get back on the tour and play competitive golf. His natural talent is enough,coaches have ruined him.

Tiger has always had coaches. So when exactly did they ruin him?-PGA Tour players should be so lucky as to have ruined careers like TW.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Tiger has always had coaches. So when exactly did they ruin him?-PGA Tour players should be so lucky as to have ruined careers like TW.

Exactly lol does the name Hank Haney ring a bell?

In the bag:

IMHO, Tiger needs to play EVERY week.    He needs reps.     He needs to fire all coaches - mental and swing.    He needs to figure it out for himself.    He relies too much on others.     Did I say he needs to play every week, and if he can't figure it out in the time remaining this year, he needs to take up fishing - I'll even give him lessons

:beer:

• Upvote 2

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

So you're saying Tiger's career is not in ruins,lol.

Tiger was at his best under Hank. He should be trying to give him a call before Butch.

Agreed, the man didn't have the title "best golf coach in the world" for nothing. But as mentioned before I think pride has a little to do with his situation. It's tough to say but I'm surprised he isn't doing more to get back into the groove after some of the scores he's been posting.

In the bag:

Haney fired Tiger, and he was not straight with a driver with Haney. He was also younger, had great iron play, and his short game was great. The best scrambler -- because he was not straight but a scrambler, he turned a 76 into 70. Now, he doesn't have that short game and the 76 is an 80.

If you went to a Hank Instructor, you would know that it is weird instruction. I think Tiger taught Hank more than Hank taught Tiger.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 3227 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!