Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
georgeshot

What's Your Putter Setup

19 posts in this topic

I have three putters that I have kept (and few that have been dismissed). Currently... (1) Odyssey White Hot #2 w/ Black Widow Signature mid-sized grip / 30". Solid flat stick that was in the bag for years. Can't part with this one - a Valentines Day gift from my wife! It rolls true and might come back into the bag this spring. (2) Carbite Polar Balanced DC w/ Tiger Shark over-sized grip / 31". This is the current bag winner. It was a belly putter I found at a garage sale for $5.00, cut it down to 31" and put a Tiger Shark grip on it. I'm not really sure if cutting it down affected the shaft stiffness or not, but it feels firm and I've really gotten into a groove with the way it is set up sinking 15 footers easily. (3) STX 9750 w/ Winn PCi Lite Triple Line Jumbo grip / 32". "Mr. Softy" Combine the Soft Face Insert Technology and the Winn Jumbo grip and this stick has cloud light feel - great for super slick fast greens.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I have one putter that I've had for years and that I will have for years and decades to come.

It seems like a waste of money, time, and energy to have more than one putter.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Upgraded after 7 years with the white hot 2 ball putter. I wasn't confident with that putter and was not making enough putts to be happy wit it. Bought a TM White smoke putter wothout even testing it and loved it straight away. For me feel is not that important with a putter the really nice looks of the white putter just gives me more confidence in making 6-12 foot putts. I have never putted better before and wont be changing again for a long time.

Unlike Iacas, I am a putter Ho! This year I have been using a Rife IBF black @35" I have the putter set at 73* and 5* of loft (I stand close to ball with high hands and therefore I use an upright putter)  I forward press, so 5* loft become about 2* at impact.

I have been using a 42" Dynacraft Branding Iron since 1988, but stopped using it this year to comply with new rule of not anchoring putter,I use it like a broomstick putter, not a belly putter. ,  Left hand on top with thumb on end cap  Right hnd is split and I hold putter with 2 fingers on each side and the grip on my life line. I use long grip with flat side facing hole.

I buy any putter on eBay I think I might like and sell it back on ebay if I don't like it.  Very few make it to the golf course and then they don't last long!  I like the Ping Anser look, as I used one in the 60's and early 70"s,  I also used an original Anrold Plamer by Wilson  from middle 70's to late 80's..  Stopped using when I started teaching at a range and not practicing putting everyday.

My putter set-up is changing soon -- just got fit for a putter (should arrive at the end of the week). My hope is that the new putter will be my one-and-only for years and years to come.

...sort of.

I currently have four putters: the putter that came with the Top-Flite set I bought when I was first starting a few years ago, a Hogan/Bettinardi putter I currently use, and two el-cheapo's that I keep in CA (I have two full bags in CA so I don't have to fly with clubs when I visit my family).

Cleveland Classic HB #10 33" with a Superstroke Ultra-Slim 1.0 grip.

Scotty Cameron Newport Beach, 35.5", 5 deg loft, 68 lie.  Bought it used on e-bay for $95 and had it adjusted by a fitter.  I do have two other putter with the same set up Ping Redwood Anser (my son uses) and a Mizuno/Bettanardi BC6.  I have only used the Scotty for the last year and a half.

After a few SC that I just could not get to work for me, I only have the one Ping Greyhawk that i love. I just don't see a need for more then one at this point, I had to get used to her and we seem to get along very well.

Nike Method Core 3i (CS mini-mallet)

Odyssey DF Rossie II Bronze

Dunlop Hexsert #9

Acuity DN2 (offset mini-mallet)

All 33" and I like to think the Nike is the best because I paid the most for it.

Nike Method Core 3i (CS mini-mallet) Odyssey DF Rossie II Bronze Dunlop Hexsert #9 Acuity DN2 (offset mini-mallet) All 33" and I like to think the Nike is the best because I paid the most for it.

I think the Nike Method certainly looks the best.

This past year I was fitted with a Ping Karsten 1959.  It is 34" and has 1º loft.   My putting has improved immensely this year.    But in all fairness to the putter and myself, I have put a great amount of time into putting this year.  My average has dropped from 38 putts per round to 30!  It is now one of the strongest parts of my game.

I've been rolling the same Never Compromise Milled Series #5 for about 10 years.  I use an oversized Golf Pride chord grip.  I'm not sure of the name, but I've been using the same style grip for at least 20 years.  I don't like to change up putters.  The NC is heavy, two tone and has a very pure feel.  A classic setup that suits my eye.  I'm not sure how much offset, loft or the lie angle.  I am contemplating an Edel fitting session this Friday.  I'm thinking it may be time for a change and if I do, I want custom and professionally fitted.

I have one putter that I've had for years and that I will have for years and decades to come.

It seems like a waste of money, time, and energy to have more than one putter.

May I ask which is your weapon of choice?

May I ask which is your weapon of choice?

Sure:

I like the odysey #9(Phil's putter) but lately I been finding that it runs too quickly on fast putting surfaces. However it feel good on shaggy greens.

I currently experimenting with those funny putters with a pumbler's neck design, seem to be able to control the roll on fast surfaces better.

Tom Wishon S2R Series, model 5 head with a single bend shaft, 5 degrees of loft, 33" length.  My one and only putter.  I'll replace every other club in the bag before I take this one out!

Bettinardi BC2 shortened to 32" and with a grip weight in the end to counter-balance it. It was my weapon of choice for a long, long time until I recently changed my putting stroke and now it's too short and the barn-door on it is too much for the stroke I'm using. I've now moved back to my Ping 1/2 WackE which is center shafted and face-balanced and much more suited to the Runyan putting style.

There used to be an Edel fitter in the UK I thought about visiting but apparently he's not there any more and the only place in the US I visit yearly is Philly which is about 7 hours from @iacas or I'd think about getting fitted there. Seems I'm stuck with 'standard' (but by no means bad) putters for a while. ;)