IGNORED

Get Off the Darn Range and Go Play Golf

iacas
Note: This thread is 3230 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

@Abu3baid (plays all the time, only ever seems to practice without a golf ball indoors :D)

I don't think it's fair that you use this thread to take a dig at my playing vs practice habits, especially since the thread you started is about playing more golf and not just spending ages on the range instead of playing golf!!!! Wait, unless you are using me to take a dig at Mike for not playing enough and in that case it's ok... Oh wait, no it's not :)

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played 5 rounds in four days last week in my Florida foray.  My scores went 98 (lost 8 balls in the water), 95 (5 in water), 92, 90 and 87 (same ball with just a couple of bad holes).  If we kept playing, I think I would be back to my usual low 80s.  Each round I felt better and had more confidence.  My body felt better each day too, which is opposite of what I expected.  I've done a lot of golf specific training this winter, which is helping.

My goal this year is to play at least two rounds per week and possibly three when I can.  I am one of those "need to practice" types.  But I would rather play.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The other issue with range work, is that it's so easy to hit too many balls. I have range keys, so an extra bucket is only seconds away. Hitting too many balls can be detrimental to your swing as well. I know I end up getting handsy and stop turning enough. Luckily, I have been learning mechanical setups and how to swing from Mike and Dana. This allowed me to adjust within 7 holes to my good swing again. Quantity is fine, once you get the swing precise. I've also learned my lesson, and will never overwork the muscles on the range again.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
I only practice when I can't play. Hitting balls on the range can be boring as hell - almost like going to the gym and pushing on a machine.

That's fine, but this thread isn't necessarily directed at types of players like you. You probably need to practice more if you want to get better*, while this thread is targeted at people who don't play unless their swing is "perfect." * If you are content at your current abilities, more power to you. I'm not saying everyone should practice more or play more. If you are content to have fun and don't like to practice, keep it up.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

A man after my own heart!

Tomorrow will be my 26th round so far this year. I clearly need to pick up the pace!

Damn, I'm slacking - tomorrow will only be my 22nd

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

That's fine, but this thread isn't necessarily directed at types of players like you. You probably need to practice more if you want to get better*, while this thread is targeted at people who don't play unless their swing is "perfect."

* If you are content at your current abilities, more power to you. I'm not saying everyone should practice more or play more. If you are content to have fun and don't like to practice, keep it up.

Correct the thread is directed at "range rats" or players that think they can't play because their swings aren't where they want it yet.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Great post! This is one of my goals for this season. With a 2 year old and 5 month old at home going to the range here and there sometimes feels as rewarding as a full round. But being that I joined a golf league this season I should definitely get more course time going forward. In my Bart Scott voice....CANT WAIT!

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

The other issue with range work, is that it's so easy to hit too many balls.

I have range keys, so an extra bucket is only seconds away.

Hitting too many balls can be detrimental to your swing as well. I know I end up getting handsy and stop turning enough.

Luckily, I have been learning mechanical setups and how to swing from Mike and Dana. This allowed me to adjust within 7 holes to my good swing again.

Quantity is fine, once you get the swing precise. I've also learned my lesson, and will never overwork the muscles on the range again.

Not enough time in my life to be a range rat and besides due to the couple points you make about hitting too many balls I don't like to do range work. Due to time constraints, two week nights of 9 hole league play and 18 holes on Sunday is about all I can manage. I do work on the things advised here for me and use an orange whip trainer in between now. Playing for the first time tomorrow in CT. Layers of rust to remove but it will be great to get out.

• Administrator

Not enough time in my life to be a range rat…

Okay.

Then this thread isn't directed at you. :-D

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Great post! I can definitely relate. I certainly practice a lot more than I play, and there's definitely a desire after a while to "perfect" my swing. Making my swing look great is fine, but I still have to figure out how to get the ball where I want it to go. I always tell people that I have a much better swing today than I had three years ago when I shot 8-10 strokes better simply because I figured out how to make the terrible swing work on the course. I'm hoping that playing more this year will allow me to "figure it out" with my new swing and I'll shoot better scores than I ever could have without making the swing changes.

I'm not going to practice any less. I'm simply going to play more.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Great post! I can definitely relate. I certainly practice a lot more than I play, and there's definitely a desire after a while to "perfect" my swing. Making my swing look great is fine, but I still have to figure out how to get the ball where I want it to go. I always tell people that I have a much better swing today than I had three years ago when I shot 8-10 strokes better simply because I figured out how to make the terrible swing work on the course. I'm hoping that playing more this year will allow me to "figure it out" with my new swing and I'll shoot better scores than I ever could have without making the swing changes. I'm not going to practice any less. I'm simply going to play more.

I like your answer!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Slightly off topic, but how did you go?

Not bad, hit it well, miss gauged some short yardages, putting is rusty, shot 75. Going to start trying to playing every Sunday, get ready for a scotch play tournament with my Dad in mid May. Really cool tournament, been on the wait list for a few years.

This whole lack of playing thing has really only been going on for a couple years. In college I would play 5-6 days a week, then I got a job and got married but still played 2 days a week until a few years ago. I put a lot of time in on this site, teach a little, do some property management and do stuff with the kids so there isn't that much free time left for full rounds. I still get out and practice in the late afternoons so I'm not whinning ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

This is so me, I definetly fall into the range rat category and I fear its worse now that I've started taking lessons. Last year I looked forward to both the time on the range and playing but so far this year ALL I can think about is getting back to the range to work on my "new" swing. Hopefully that will change once the weather gets decent around here and I actually get out for my first round (darn you mother nature!!!).

Note: This thread is 3230 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!