IGNORED

Single rider golf carts to speed up play?

JerseyThursday
Note: This thread is 3663 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Playing devil's advocate a bit here, but:

Maybe it's true that the impetus ultimately lies with the player, but isn't it possible that two-person carts just don't make it evident how to use them properly? Single-person carts would certainly eliminate much of that.

For example, the correct way to use a two-person cart is to drive up to one ball, drop that person off with some clubs, and drive to the other one, right? The problem is with the people who drive to one ball, wait for the green to clear, hit that ball, and then drive to the other, certainly, but in a single person cart there would be no reason to do it the incorrect way. The person in cart B isn't going to wait with the person in cart A, they're going to scooter over to their own ball. Shouldn't that speed up play?

Or we could simply teach people how to use a regular cart correctly.

To paraphrase........2-person carts don't cause slow play, people cause slow play. ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Regardless of the golfer, using single rider carts is going to be faster than a two rider cart. However fast or slow you are, you will be faster with your own cart. So, if you're trying to speed up golf, single rider carts seems to be a no-brainer.

That said, people should also be educated on how to play at the proper pace.

I walk in the winter and much of the time in the spring and autumn. My main reason for taking a cart in the summer is on account of the insane heat in Georgia. The cart is as much a mobile shelter from the boiling sun and periodic monsoons as it is a means of transportation. For those purposes, I need a roof. A souped-up mobility scooter with an umbrella suspended over it and my clubs lashed to the front won't suffice.

Playing devil's advocate a bit here, but:

Maybe it's true that the impetus ultimately lies with the player, but isn't it possible that two-person carts just don't make it evident how to use them properly? Single-person carts would certainly eliminate much of that.

For example, the correct way to use a two-person cart is to drive up to one ball, drop that person off with some clubs, and drive to the other one, right? The problem is with the people who drive to one ball, wait for the green to clear, and then drive to the other, certainly, but in a single person cart there would be no reason to do it the incorrect way. The person in cart B isn't going to wait with the person in cart A, they're going to scooter over to their own ball. Shouldn't that speed up play?

It should, but that assumes they don't treat the single carts as they do a double cart and still ride together.  I see guys with pull carts that still walk up to the first ball together and let the away guy hit first so to not get in his way or risk being struck by the ball.

Joe Paradiso

Slow play is caused by multiple factors.  The single rider cart would help some players pick up the pace, which is a good thing.  Of course, its not going to eliminate the other causes ranging from playing too far back to the golfer that really believes it is Sunday at Augusta and he is protecting a 1 stroke lead.

• Administrator

I think that if you put two fast players in single-person carts, they'd theoretically be able to go faster than the same two fast golfers in a double-person cart.

I think that if you put two slow players in single-person carts, they'd also be able to go a bit faster than the same two slow golfers in a double-person cart.

I agree that the bigger issue is the golfers themselves, but that doesn't mean that single-person carts can't speed up golfers. Even slow ones.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Or we could simply teach people how to use a regular cart correctly. To paraphrase........2-person carts don't cause slow play, people cause slow play.  ;-)

True, but the fact that that hasn't happened in ... however many years golf carts have been around says something about people's willingness to learn the correct way. Laziness is probably also a factor. [quote name="newtogolf" url="/t/73915/single-rider-golf-carts-to-speed-up-play/0_30#post_977757"]It should, but that assumes they don't treat the single carts as they do a double cart and still ride together.  I see guys with pull carts that still walk up to the first ball together and let the away guy hit first so to not get in his way or risk being struck by the ball. [/quote] Can't say I've ever seen anything quite like that. Most pull carters and walkers I've seen generally try to stay off to the side rather going right up next to their ball to avoid getting hit, but I don't see many people staying back with their playing partner. (FWIW, I don't have a particularly strong opinion, so this is still me mostly playing devil's advocate.)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Whether or not single carts are faster or not, what the extra vehicles out there will do to course conditions has to be examined too.

At our club, cart owners are forced to pair up from october or november until april to reduce the damage to the course during non-peak growing weather. (non-cart owners must pair up year round)

I will say our rounds in the winter take just as long as the ones in the summer when you will often see 4 people in 4 carts.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

A bit off topic but maybe golf courses could help with that by charging less for the shorter tees.  This way the golfer makes a conscious and financial decision about which tees they want to play from.

My first thought when I read your idea was that it might be something worth trying.

Then my mind flashed to a group I was behind last year that was already playing from the short tees. When I caught them they were playing a 125 yard par 3.

After seeing each of them hit at least 5 shots and none of them yet on the green I called it a day and turned around and went home. :doh:

So on second thought I certainly would want to reward them or their ilk with a reduced cost.

Best thing to do is to have a remote shut off switch on the golf carts and if they aren't back in 3 hours just flip the switch and make them walk. the rest of the way, or back in. ;-)

Edit: BTW I think those single player carts look neat! I wouldn't mind having one to drive around my property. My wife could even drive it to work (only about a half mile away). Pretty expensive though for what they are.

I believe the problem is that carts are too slow........

Why not build the standard golf cart so it can reach speeds of at least 30-40mph? :beer::whistle::scared:

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I believe the problem is that carts are too slow........

Why not build the standard golf cart so it can reach speeds of at least 30-40mph?

Some of those 48s can run pretty fast. Some of my playing partners had them and my cart is very slow. I hated it when they all decided to start on the 5th hole (on the other side of the course) and took off like a bat out of Hell. Compared to them it seemed like it took me forever to get there.

Only thing was that my cart will run all day long from daylight to dark without the batteries going dead. Every time I would mention getting a new faster cart one of them would say "If you do that who is going to push the rest of us back to the cart barn every day?" Which was a very common occurrence.

Note: This thread is 3663 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!