• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TJBam

What's the lowest you've gone in a 4 man scramble?

23 posts in this topic

Had one yesterday.  We started off with 5 birdies in a row but only ended up -9.   Driving/putting was good but we didn't stick wedges close enough and only ended up sinking half of our 15 foot birdie putts.

Have you ever been on the team that turned in a 56?  How many mulligans did you take? :whistle:

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I was in a group that shot 60 (par 72) several years ago. Each player had 2 mulligans (which I hate, but it was a charity fundraiser), and we left one unused since we made long putt on the last hole. This scramble had one of the coolest things ever. Rock Hicks (long drive competitor) would hit a drive for your group on a long par 5. It was pretty humbling to make the drive from your ball to where his ended up.

Awards and Achievements

Mid to late 1980's at my peak and with a few other decent buddies, we carded a 58 (Par 72)... and lost. To a group with 2 "semi pros" among them who carded a 56. NO MULLIGANS allowed, with a maximum of 6 drives (including Par 3's) used from any one person. So we ALL had to drive well to make a dent.

I've played in one particular scramble event for a few years.  The best my group has done is 8 over par.  I usually play around bogey golf, and I'm by a wide margin the best in the group, everyone else I think only plays once a year at this event.  Also I'm pretty sure a lot of the other groups cheat.  But anyway it's just for fun.  I would be curious to see how I would do with 3 people the same level or better than me.

I've played in one particular scramble event for a few years.  The best my group has done is 8 over par.  I usually play around bogey golf, and I'm by a wide margin the best in the group, everyone else I think only plays once a year at this event.  Also I'm pretty sure a lot of the other groups cheat.  But anyway it's just for fun.  I would be curious to see how I would do with 3 people the same level or better than me.

You need better partners! :-D And you can't spell "Scramble" without C H E A T... well, maybe if you cheat you can...

You need better partners!

And you can't spell "Scramble" without C H E A T... well, maybe if you cheat you can...

The one I play ever year, something like 15 to 16 under usually wins. Those teams are pretty stacked with some A players. Usually in the other one I play in. The guy setting up makes the pairings. He doesn't put many long guys on the same team, and ranks players A thru D. Usually the winning score is -6 to -7 for that. I was on a team once that went -9 in that format.

Awards and Achievements

Only ever played once, last year.  -5....we came in second.

there wasn't any 'buying mulligans' or anything, pretty much straight up:  Only rule was we had to choose 3 drives from each player by end of the round.

of the 4 of us, 2 were not current but one of them it's clear he used to be decent - one guy just didn't play well

I was the 'experienced' player of the group so right there we weren't off to a great start....

the one that couldn't hit well seemed to be able to hit a straight 5i off the tee consistently - we'd have him tee off first get at least a safety tee around 150 yards to take the pressure off, and I'd hit last - in case someone had a good drive I could unload and risk cutting corners and such

we had a great time - I won a shirt

Awards and Achievements

You need better partners!

And you can't spell "Scramble" without C H E A T... well, maybe if you cheat you can...

I prefer the 2 man scramble format. Since you are a 2 man team paired up with another team you are competing against, that keeps the cheating to a minimum.

Awards and Achievements

I prefer the 2 man scramble format. Since you are a 2 man team paired up with another team you are competing against, that keeps the cheating to a minimum.

This one format I found fun was 2 man scramble front nine, then a 2 man alternating shot on the back nine. This one is just brutal. Especially the alternating shot. It is also handicap adjusted.

Awards and Achievements

I played a scramble with some caddies at my work and shot a 55. This one guy in my group was scratch and playing out of his mind. The guy only missed two greens and stuck probably 10 shots within 15 feet. Our fourth had to leave after the front nine but he didn't contribute much anyway. All I had to do was make a couple of putts and maybe 6-7 long game shots.

Awards and Achievements

With string and mulligans I've been on teams winning in the low 50's without in the even to -5 range. I don't mind scrambles of any format but the fun fades when someone starts treating it like a PGA Tour event. I've played a few business events where the teams were drawn and been paired with some real dorks.

Awards and Achievements

This one format I found fun was 2 man scramble front nine, then a 2 man alternating shot on the back nine. This one is just brutal. Especially the alternating shot. It is also handicap adjusted.

I had a similar one with 6 holes Best Ball, 6 Better Ball, and 6 Alt Shot with 2 man teams. That was a lot of fun, but you're right, the alternating shot is stressful. It's one thing to leave yourself a bad next shot, but it's a horrible feeling to leave your partner with one. I would love to set up a 3 day tournament with these formats. They used to have a surf-n-turf tournament where you would fish for 2 hours in the morning and the combined weight of the fish you caught would come off your score in the afternoon scramble.

Have you ever played Terry's Revenge at Penn Terra @saevel25 ?

Awards and Achievements

No I haven't been out there before. I might with 17 dollar weekend green's fees :bugout:

Awards and Achievements

Played in a company scramble a couple years ago with three of our salespeople.  The team shot 58.  If I had broken my leg on the first tee, the team would have shot 58.

Awards and Achievements

No I haven't been out there before. I might with 17 dollar weekend green's fees

The course isn't all that great, but it is inexpensive. My aunt works there. Terry's revenge is a scramble in the fall where they totally trick up the golf course. They would park lawn equipment in front of a green and place the pin right behind it. They would put 10 flags on a green and you wouldn't know which one had the hole. etc... It was awesome. Last year, they just put all the holes in ridiculously hard places. Kind sad. Hoping they go back to the trick format.

Played in a company scramble a couple years ago with three of our salespeople.  The team shot 58.  If I had broken my leg on the first tee, the team would have shot 58.

I've made some hard swings before, but never enough to snap my femur. :blink:

Awards and Achievements

The lowest my team has gone in a 4-man scramble was a 56 (16 under) at Wolf Creek GC in Mesquite, NV. It was during the second day of a golf tournament run by a good friend who had a fun tournament in Mesquite every year. We had 2 eagles, 12 birdies and 4 pars that day. After the first day we were at 7 under par and in the middle of the pack, but after our 16 under performance, we stormed by everyone and won by two. We didn't have any mulligans but we did play with just 3 people who had to alternate hitting the 4th shot because one of our players the night before fell off a table and badly hurt his ankle after drinking too much. I will remember this round for as long as I live. That was a lot of fun to be a part of.

End of season scramble last year in league we were -6 on par 70. It's a really short course and I had a pretty good driving day. We had a couple guys with good short games. Everyone contributed something during the round. We lost of course, but we played it true and fair by the rules and I was happy with how we did. I won both long drives that day :-)

Awards and Achievements

I've been on a team posting a -17(51) was pretty fun. We had two guys who play on the uk semi pro tour. My only contribution was one tee shot on a par 3 and I holed 4putts or so

Awards and Achievements