IGNORED

How Would You Play It? (14ledo81)

Note: This thread is 3646 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm hitting driver. Going for the green!

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Looks like a green light to hit the ball whatever distance I could hit the ball.

If clearing the bunker was at the borderline of my distance it would still be a go, but I would aim just left of the bunker.

If it goes in the bunker, so be it. I've been in worse places from further out than that.

Pretty much this. Even if I mess up and don't carry the bunker it's less than 100 yards out of the bunker and I still have birdie in play and PAR is very doable.

James

Probably 3w.  For me that easily carries the fairway bunker.  You didn't mark distances to greenside bunkers and the green, but looks like I would settle up with a shortish pitch in.  If driver doesn't risk going through the green with the downhill and wind help I might go driver as well.  Second shot from a greenside bunker isn't much worse for me than a 45 yard pitch, so I'd be happy with anything except a pull/hook as it looks safe right of the green.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Interesting point.  I do not think that the fairway bunker is so penal as not to allow me to get close to the green with the second.  Worst case, I may be a bit farther away than my PW aimed at the front edge.  Still should be able to get a bogey.  Maybe I should start playing it toward the left side of the fairway bunker with a driver.  If I carry it, great.  If not, I could still try to get close to the green and hopefully down in two from there for a bogey.  If I draw it a little, best case.  On the fairway with a short club in hand.

Pretty much captures it exactly except driver would fail my "confidence" test so it would be 4W or 5W depending on which was in the bag.

Would be interesting if you pick up some things from this thread you might want to try for yourself and then report back the results. I know I often have trouble holes and devise what I think is a good plan but then the course schools me on the detail I missed, frustrating!

Mike

[QUOTE name="14ledo81" url="/t/74240/how-would-you-play-it-14ledo81#post_984332"]   Interesting point.  I do not think that the fairway bunker is so penal as not to allow me to get close to the green with the second.  Worst case, I may be a bit farther away than my PW aimed at the front edge.  Still should be able to get a bogey.  Maybe I should start playing it toward the left side of the fairway bunker with a driver.  If I carry it, great.  If not, I could still try to get close to the green and hopefully down in two from there for a bogey.  If I draw it a little, best case.  On the fairway with a short club in hand. [/QUOTE] Pretty much captures it exactly except driver would fail my "confidence" test so it would be 4W or 5W depending on which was in the bag. Would be interesting if you pick up some things from this thread you might want to try for yourself and then report back the results. I know I often have trouble holes and devise what I think is a good plan but then the course schools me on the detail I missed, frustrating!

Like you said I got schooled a bit today. I hit driver on this hole and pushed it right of the fairway bunker. The trees were blocking a clear shot at the green, but I was able to hit a PW to about 30 yards short of the green. From there I was able to get up and down in two. Pretty happy with a bogey considering the tee shot.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Like you said I got schooled a bit today. I hit driver on this hole and pushed it right of the fairway bunker. The trees were blocking a clear shot at the green, but I was able to hit a PW to about 30 yards short of the green. From there I was able to get up and down in two. Pretty happy with a bogey considering the tee shot.

Tee shot, punch out short, then up and down in two more. Sounds like a nice par to me!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

[quote name="14ledo81" url="/t/74240/how-would-you-play-it-14ledo81/18#post_985001"] Like you said I got schooled a bit today. I hit driver on this hole and pushed it right of the fairway bunker. The trees were blocking a clear shot at the green, but I was able to hit a PW to about 30 yards short of the green. From there I was able to get up and down in two. Pretty happy with a bogey considering the tee shot.

Tee shot, punch out short, then up and down in two more. Sounds like a nice par to me![/quote] I wasn't clear enough. Up in one, down in two.

-Matt-

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I'm going with driver because I can carry the bunker and land fairly safely. I also could also put a light fade by opening up my feet a little bit (great being a lefty) to keep me away from the bunker, but there is a risk of entering the bunker if my fade doesn't have full power on it and not enough fade. This would give me a straight shot at the green without the green side bunkers being in the way.

If I could not carry it, a 19 degree hybrid would carry 205 and possibly some roll on the left. Next would be either the 60 degree or the 52 degree depending upon how far the hybrid rolled.

The third alternative is two "150" carry iron shots. I would use (2) 8i or a 7i off the tee and and 8i or 9i.

How much uphill is there? It looks like a little uphill that will limit the roll.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'm a short hitter so 5W to layup area and GW or PW to green.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

That hole is a green light, I wish I had one like that at my home course, the short par 4's are all uphill.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I'm going with driver because I can carry the bunker and land fairly safely. I also could also put a light fade by opening up my feet a little bit (great being a lefty) to keep me away from the bunker, but there is a risk of entering the bunker if my fade doesn't have full power on it and not enough fade. This would give me a straight shot at the green without the green side bunkers being in the way. If I could not carry it, a 19 degree hybrid would carry 205 and possibly some roll on the left. Next would be either the 60 degree or the 52 degree depending upon how far the hybrid rolled. The third alternative is two "150" carry iron shots. I would use (2) 8i or a 7i off the tee and and 8i or 9i. How much uphill is there? It looks like a little uphill that will limit the roll.

It is undulating, but mostly downhill. Down from tee to 30 yards short of fairway bunker, up from there to the end of the fairway bunker, down again until just short of the green, green is raised a bit. That's another benefit to being able to carry the fairway bunker. Shots would land on down slope and kick further forward.

-Matt-

It is undulating, but mostly downhill. Down from tee to 30 yards short of fairway bunker, up from there to the end of the fairway bunker, down again until just short of the green, green is raised a bit. That's another benefit to being able to carry the fairway bunker. Shots would land on down slope and kick further forward.

If it's downhill, I would go for it with the drive. For you you should try for a draw. For me, I would still attempt the "power" fade, to keep the green side bunkers out of play.

Like someone mentioned in an earlier post, a 50 yard fairway bunker is not that punishing, unless you end up right at the trailing lip (odds are less than 50% getting stuck). The "go for it" strategy is only punished by at most one stroke out of that bunker if you get right under the lip, and the potential gain is an up and down birdie.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I was thinking of this hole last night as I played a similar hole. We have a 333 yd par 4, 317 from the white. Sets up the same but it has water on the right and the bunker is on the left. I've been in the bunker a few times and it's a drag but still easy enough to get out of. I decided to lay up and play it safe last night but only because I couldn't hit driver to save my life, actually I struggled with every club. So my approach changed and I started playing safe. On our hole I hit a 4h that left me 105 to the green and I hit it to about 6-7'. I don't feel all that great today so I may experiment with more 4h and see what happens.

Dave :-)

Note: This thread is 3646 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!