IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note:Β This thread is 1348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Ha! Just finished 9 with a single ball! Β Shot a 55, but hey, no penalties.

good job mate!

I did the same today.

It was scorching hot day for golf, at 86 F

totally new course for me, sadly I shotΒ  59, at the back 9 holes

yardage was a manly length of 6400 yards

My hot streak in stableford golf ended today, with that bad score of 59... With that new score, my hcp rises up a little bit... But you can't win everytime at golf, right?

I was just kind of disappointed at my many duffs and tops off the tee, today.

But, I'm taking a trackman lesson next week, so I'm hoping to get some swing analysis pretty soon.

Played 9 today. Shot a 51 on a 34.8/126 course. One birdie (first of the year) One par Zero bogeys Five double bogeys Two triple bogeys 0 FIR 1 GIR 16 putts (1 three putt) Felt great except for my usual timidity of hitting anything except driver off the tee. Had something really weird happen to me on hole number six. I badly chunked back to back wedge shots. Chunking a wedge shot hasn't happened to me in a while. Hope it was just random as I don't need to have to worry about something else on the golf course. Anyway, this is my scorecard:

Christian

:tmade::titleist:Β  :leupold:Β  :aimpoint:Β :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

hmmm....

How do you know that you're not sacrificing distance or accuracy?

Once you get acclimated to the "proper" golf grip it may make aΒ big difference inΒ  your game.

Do you know any top playerΒ on the PGA, or the Web.com, tourΒ who uses the baseball grip?

Just saying....

There have been pros using the 10-finger grip in the past. Β Personally, I find it more comfortable because my right hand feels very unnatural in a neutral position with the pinky overlapping or interlocked, so while I was interlocking, I tended to have a very strong right hand. Β Since where the pinky goes is (to my knowledge) not terribly important, but having a neutral grip is, it's worth whatever I may be losing with the pinky to have the rest of my grip be correct.

It's certainly possible that I will at some point switch to an overlap or interlock in the future. Β I'd guess that a larger grip size would allow me to do so comfortably, but that's not money I'm going to spend right now to fix an issue that may or may not exist.

-Bryan

Bag: TM Superfast Driver, TM Burner '08 3W, GigaGolf Irons, Yes! Sandy Putter

There have been pros using the 10-finger grip in the past. Β Personally, I find it more comfortable because my right hand feels very unnatural in a neutral position with the pinky overlapping or interlocked, so while I was interlocking, I tended to have a very strong right hand. Β Since where the pinky goes is (to my knowledge) not terribly important, but having a neutral grip is, it's worth whatever I may be losing with the pinky to have the rest of my grip be correct. Β  It's certainly possible that I will at some point switch to an overlap or interlock in the future. Β I'd guess that a larger grip size would allow me to do so comfortably, but that's not money I'm going to spend right now to fix an issue that may or may not exist.

. Yeah...well, golf swing is already an unnatural sequence of movements to execute anyway. ;-) IMO, I don't see how you can get proper/full release with a ten finger grip.

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

Yeah...well, golf swing is already an unnatural sequence of movements to execute anyway.

IMO, I don't see how you can get proper/full release with a ten finger grip.

Fair enough :-)

To clarify, my thumbs are still pointed down the shaft as they would be in any other grip. Β The only difference is the position of the pinky. Β I'm certainly not an expert, or I wouldn't be in this thread, but I don't think it affects the release much. Β A true baseball grip, with the thumbs wrapped around the shaft, would certainly inhibit wrist flex, which is why nobody uses it.

-Bryan

Bag: TM Superfast Driver, TM Burner '08 3W, GigaGolf Irons, Yes! Sandy Putter

Fair enough

To clarify, my thumbs are still pointed down the shaft as they would be in any other grip. Β The only difference is the position of the pinky. Β I'm certainly not an expert, or I wouldn't be in this thread, but I don't think it affects the release much. Β A true baseball grip, with the thumbs wrapped around the shaft, would certainly inhibit wrist flex, which is why nobody uses it.

With the risk of belaboring a point, just one more thing about the golf grip that I learned.

The function of a golf grip is to make your hands little as possibleΒ which facilitate a better release. That's why we don't grip a golf club like a hockey stick.

I think if humans had two fingers and a thumb on each hand, golf would be easier for us.....of course that would make doing our other daily tasks more difficult....like throwing a foot ball. :-)

Anyway, just my opinion.

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

I can't get comfortable with an overlapping grip or the interlock, so I have stuck with the modified baseball grip. It feels comfortable and I don't think I'm sacrificing distance or accuracy (the only 2 things most golfers care about)

I use the baseball grip with my driver, hitting much straighter like this but I think I'm sacrificing a little distance.

Found one!Β  LOL

Tommy "Two Gloves" Gainey...he uses a baseball grip.Β  He also uses two gloves.

Now, this just happens to be a coincidence, but I also use two gloves.Β  I played baseball all the way through college, so I'm sure that a big part of the reason that I use the modified baseball grip is due to my familiarity with that grip from my days of swinging a bat.Β  I'm not saying it makes it right.Β  I'm not saying it makes it the best.Β  But I have had lessons from multiple teachers in the past (usually the groupon/living social type deals), and not one of them has ever commented on my grip or recommended me changing it.Β  Maybe my teachers all sucked?Β  Or maybe the grip isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things?

Nike Covert 2.0 driver with Kuro Kage

Nike Covert Tour 3 wood

Nike Covert 5Β wood

Nike CovertΒ 4 hybrid

Nike VRS Forged irons 5i-GW

Callaway Forged WedgeΒ 56deg

Callaway X-Forged Wedge 60deg

Odyssey White Hot XG #9 putter
2015 Sun Mountain Tour Series cart bag

The end of last season I finally broke 100, this year I have been at or just blow 100, literally 99 several times.

Saturday I played my best game ever, five pared holes!Β  With a final score of 92!!!!

The biggest difference for me was the ability to recover from a bad shot and much better putting.

Even with the better putting I missed a couple of puts that will have to drop to improve my score.

Not that long ago I can remember when a short drive would mean at best a triple.Β Β  That second shot on

a long par four is what I have really been working on this year and it is paying off.

I have no idea why my putting improved, I just hope its not dumb luck and next time I am right back to zero.

I am planning to hit balls into the net every night this week, its amazing the encouragement you get from one good round...

I think the problem with non standard grips is that you are on your own to solve any problems you encounter. Fixing my grip has saved me a lot of money in lost balls.

The end of last season I finally broke 100, this year I have been at or just blow 100, literally 99 several times.

Saturday I played my best game ever, five pared holes!Β  With a final score of 92!!!!

The biggest difference for me was the ability to recover from a bad shot and much better putting.

Even with the better putting I missed a couple of puts that will have to drop to improve my score.

Not that long ago I can remember when a short drive would mean at best a triple.Β Β  That second shot on

a long par four is what I have really been working on this year and it is paying off.

I have no idea why my putting improved, I just hope its not dumb luck and next time I am right back to zero.

I am planning to hit balls into the net every night this week, its amazing the encouragement you get from one good round...

Nice on the 92!

I am going to have start thinking about getting a net so I can practice more at home. Β I have about enough room to hit a sand wedge and that is about it.

Bill Z.

:ping:Β G15 Driver
:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 3 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 5 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 7 wood
:tmade: Burner 2.0 4I-AW
:cleveland:Β CG15 56
DLR Hog 1005D Putter

The end of last season I finally broke 100, this year I have been at or just blow 100, literally 99 several times. Saturday I played my best game ever, five pared holes!Β  With a final score of 92!!!! The biggest difference for me was the ability to recover from a bad shot and much better putting. Even with the better putting I missed a couple of puts that will have to drop to improve my score. Not that long ago I can remember when a short drive would mean at best a triple.Β Β  That second shot on a long par four is what I have really been working on this year and it is paying off. I have no idea why my putting improved, I just hope its not dumb luck and next time I am right back to zero. I am planning to hit balls into the net every night this week, its amazing the encouragement you get from one good round...

92...niiiiiiice

Nike Covert 2.0 driver with Kuro Kage

Nike Covert Tour 3 wood

Nike Covert 5Β wood

Nike CovertΒ 4 hybrid

Nike VRS Forged irons 5i-GW

Callaway Forged WedgeΒ 56deg

Callaway X-Forged Wedge 60deg

Odyssey White Hot XG #9 putter
2015 Sun Mountain Tour Series cart bag

Shot 45/50 today Β Blew four chips on the front and had four three-putts on the back. Putts were 16/21. Β The 16 putts on the front nine give me the confidence that I can putt. Β Didn't make any long bombs, just solid first putts.

Had only one penalty. Will continue to work on short game. Β Believe I can get to boogie by Β the end of the this season (or soon).

FINALLY BROKE 100!!!!!!

Shot a 48/50 at Pelham Bay in the Bronx. 3 pars (all up and down with my new best friend 58* Cleveland Wedge), 6 bogeys, 8 doubles and 1 5 over 10 on a par 5.

Only lost 1 ball!

Only one GIR, 7/14 fairways hit.

Only 32 putts....13 on the back 9!

I was toying with shortening my backswing on the range for my driver and something clicked in this round. I usually never hit further than 230 but I tracked at least 3 drives that were 250+ with my GPS app.

With 5 holes left I made the mistake of looking at the score and then shot a 10 on a par 5. With 4 holes left I needed to bogey out to shoot a 99. I knew this and there was no hiding from that fact. Pressure was on for every shot. I responded with an up and down bogey, up and down par, up and down par, conservative double bogey on 18 for the 98!

I feel like such a weight is off my shoulders and I'm ready to swing easy and go for 90 now. :dance:

• Upvote 1

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17*Β 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter:Β Ping Prime Tyne 4

FINALLY BROKE 100!!!!!!

Shot a 48/50 at Pelham Bay in the Bronx. 3 pars (all up and down with my new best friend 58* Cleveland Wedge), 6 bogeys, 8 doubles and 1 5 over 10 on a par 5.

Only lost 1 ball!

I was toying with shortening my backswing on the range for my driver and something clicked in this round. I usually never hit further than 230 but I tracked at least 3 drives that were 250+ with my GPS app.

With 5 holes left I made the mistake of looking at the score and then shot a 10 on a par 5. With 4 holes left I needed to bogey out to shoot a 99. I knew this and there was no hiding from that fact. Pressure was on for every shot. I responded with an up and down bogey, up and down par, up and down par, conservative double bogey on 18 for the 98!

I feel like such a weight is off my shoulders and I'm ready to swing easy and go for 90 now.

Great job! :beer:

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

FINALLY BROKE 100!!!!!!

Only lost 1 ball!

I feel like such a weight is off my shoulders and I'm ready to swing easy and go for 90 now.

Congrats! 13 putts on 9 holes - nice. You must be deadly with that wedge.

Jon

FINALLY BROKE 100!!!!!!

Only lost 1 ball!

Nice!

The first time I broke 100 was on that course last year.

• Upvote 1

Christian

Played 9 after work today.

Shot 53 on aΒ 34.3/109 course.

Started off one the first hole by pulling my 5 wood and putting the ball into the trees which led to a double bogey (and 3 putted also *rolleyes*) and off the tee on the second hole I topped left and got into some yucky stuff and put up an 8 on a par 4.

Anyway, I recorded most of the holes and will put up a v-log tomorrow in case anyone wants a laugh.

Scorecard:

Christian

Note:Β This thread is 1348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!