IGNORED

Wear sunscreen people!!!!

Crim
Note: This thread is 3057 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

That's a pretty shoddy article.

Yup.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's a pretty shoddy article.

It's no secret that some sunscreens have chemicals that aren't great for you. You can find some that minimize or eliminate that risk.

That 2000 Swedish study that is linked to, the median SPF tested as 6. The article fails to mention that.

At 6 SPF, I'd actually expect people to have higher rates of sun exposure. People are still putting on sunscreen, so they feel protected, but something like that is going to wear off very quickly. They're not going to reapply it as often as they should, and they're going to overrate its effectiveness. At least the people not wearing sunscreen know they're getting burned.

As for vitamin D, there are ways to be smart about getting it. You can get a day's worth in about 15 minutes of sunlight. You can also get it through diet, though obviously it depends what kind of food you're eating.

Oops :doh:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

This was one of my very first times out at the range (notice the hiking boots), I still use that hat when the sun is really beating down. It's amazing.

It's from Coolibar, rated UPF 50+

They have some nice golf sun hats to choose from

http://www.coolibar.com/thumbnail/Sun-Hats/Mens/Golf/pc/2222/c/2272/2228.uts

I just ordered a hat from there. I'm 50 now and have spent the vast majority of my life in the sun, and have worn baseball caps pretty much the entire time.

It's time to stop dicking around with this stuff. I'll get used to the brim quick enough.

John

It is great to see people discussing this topic.  Skin Cancer is the most frequently diagnosed cancer and epidemic in the golf community.  But it does not have to be that way.  Many skin cancers are preventable and when detected early, can be treated successfully.

The Sun SafeTee Program is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to sun protection and skin cancer prevention programs specifically for golfers.  Please visit our website for tips on sun protection and skin cancer prevention.  We have educational videos (including how to apply sunscreen without getting on your grips) testimonials from Mr. Palmer, Annika Sorenstam and others.

As was mentioned in an earlier post, it is important for everyone, regardless of the color of their skin to engage in good sun protection habits.  From top down, that starts with a wide brim hat, sunglasses, sunscreen and sun protective clothing...and don't forget to stay well hydrated!

Please stop by our website www.sunsafetee.org and follow us on facebook and Twitte r.

• 1 year later...

Anybody know anything about "GolfersSkin" (or use it) and whether its better than the stuff I would get at the local drugstore? I heard a commercial for it and supposedly many of the PGA players use it.

I know nothing about GolfersSkin, but agree this is a very important topic, a golfer friend of mine had a spot on his nose and it turned out bad, they basically peeled him like a banana and it was not pretty, he healed OK but it still looks less than great years later, so since then I've been very good about covering up, especially the nose and ears, I use the Coppertone Sport High Performance Sunscreen spray SPF 50, that stuff is super strong and lasts all day in searing heat.

This is what I use on my face and neck, it's the best stuff I've come across thus far. 10 bucks for a tube but I usually stock up when they are buy one get one free at Rite Aid. I use the spray version for the rest of my body.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

This is what I use on my face and neck, it's the best stuff I've come across thus far. 10 bucks for a tube but I usually stock up when they are buy one get one free at Rite Aid. I use the spray version for the rest of my body.

I've been using the same stuff but with an spf of 75 or 55... whichever one Costco has at the time.  I'm religious about it as I'm on immune suppression meds and at a very high risk of skin cancer.  I'm also, whenever outside in daylight, always covered up with long sleeves, long pants, and a big hat.  It's kind of a drag on hot days.  And speaking of long sleeves, those cooling sun protection sleeves are great.

I want to hear from the Aussies, they're the experts on sunscreen.

Me on the right in typical attire (but not jeans when I'm actually on a golf course, this is my back yard):

I put the stuff on my nose and tops of my ears but that's about it.  Being a sun repelling Norwegian seems to help tremendously for all the other places.

Number of my club members wear a round hat to cover top of their ears.    It's actually funny b/c they all wear the same hat bought from the club's golf shop.   From higher ground (the course meanders through hills), it's hard to tell who's who.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Yes, I use this stuff too, but with lower SPF. Just trying to figure out if its better to go with the GolfersSkin (golfersskin.com)

• 2 weeks later...

I am notorious for wearing long sleeve, white shirts. I have worked and played in the desert southwest sun my whole life. I always wear two gloves when golfing. A big wide brim hat is also part of my golfing attire. Sunscreen lotion too. All of this to protect myself from solar skin damage. Guess what?

My wife saw something on my arm, that I thought was just a patch of scaly skin. I'd put some lotion on it and it would pretty much disappear. never thought much about it. Well, after a visit to the dermatologist, I had 5 spots frozen on my face, ears, and scalp. On my arms I am now involved in a 3 week treatment with some cream stuff that could make me look like a leper for a while. No direct sunlight allowed for the next few weeks. Early morning, and late evening golf for me for the time being.....If that.

My point is I did everything I knew about, to protect myself. My dermatologists explained that all it takes is one sunburn to cause an issue. Also it is quite possible that my current damage could have been started several decades ago when I was hanging out at the beach trying to impress the ladies with my six pack abs. Who'd a thought. :doh:

WARNING: NOT FOR YOUNGSTERS OR FAINT OF HEART!!! :censored:

https://www.google.com/search?q=fluorouracil+5%25+cream+pictures&rlz;=1C1CHFX_enUS454US455&espv;=2&biw;=1366&bih;=659&tbm;=isch&tbo;=u&source;=univ&sa;=X&ved;=0CB0QsARqFQoTCOWdvsXXjccCFVU0iAod4ZICFg

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I guess you guys are going to convince me to start wearing sunscreen and get a new hat.  Especially now that I am in Florida.  I have olive skin and never burn, so never got into the habit of wearing it when I go outside.

- David -

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo

Woods: 3W - Callaway X2 Hot

Hybrid: 4 Walter Hagan

Irons: Callaway X-Hot 4 - AW 

Wedge: 52* - Cleveland CG15 Zip Black, 60* - Generic 

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #3

Anybody know anything about "GolfersSkin" (or use it) and whether its better than the stuff I would get at the local drugstore? I heard a commercial for it and supposedly many of the PGA players use it.

I bought some recently when I saw it in a shop. I'm not sure if I just got a bad batch, but it's kind of "lumpy" and doesn't rub in easily. I only used it once and then shoved it to the back of my cabinet. I usually use Super Goop which has always worked well for me.

I guess you guys are going to convince me to start wearing sunscreen and get a new hat.  Especially now that I am in Florida.  I have olive skin and never burn, so never got into the habit of wearing it when I go outside.

If overwhelming medical evidence of what the sun does to your skin, weather you burn or not, is not enough, then I am not sure what can be said. Unfortunately it took skin cancer to really get my attention; otherwise I might have posted something similar. At the end of the day of the its personal choice ... :beer:

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

If overwhelming medical evidence of what the sun does to your skin, weather you burn or not, is not enough, then I am not sure what can be said.

Unfortunately it took skin cancer to really get my attention; otherwise I might have posted something similar.

At the end of the day of the its personal choice ...

I know, it's just been a habit of mine for the past 34 years of my life to not put anything on when I went outside.  Better to start now than wait for a major wake up call

- David -

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo

Woods: 3W - Callaway X2 Hot

Hybrid: 4 Walter Hagan

Irons: Callaway X-Hot 4 - AW 

Wedge: 52* - Cleveland CG15 Zip Black, 60* - Generic 

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #3

I am notorious for wearing long sleeve, white shirts. I have worked and played in the desert southwest sun my whole life. I always wear two gloves when golfing. A big wide brim hat is also part of my golfing attire. Sunscreen lotion too. All of this to protect myself from solar skin damage. Guess what?  My wife saw something on my arm, that I thought was just a patch of scaly skin. I'd put some lotion on it and it would pretty much disappear. never thought much about it. Well, after a visit to the dermatologist, I had 5 spots frozen on my face, ears, and scalp. On my arms I am now involved in a 3 week treatment with some cream stuff that could make me look like a leper for a while. No direct sunlight allowed for the next few weeks. Early morning, and late evening golf for me for the time being.....If that. My point is I did everything I knew about, to protect myself. My dermatologists explained that all it takes is one sunburn to cause an issue. Also it is quite possible that my current damage could have been started several decades ago when I was hanging out at the beach trying to impress the ladies with my six pack abs. Who'd a thought. :doh: WARNING: NOT FOR YOUNGSTERS OR FAINT OF HEART!!!   :censored:  [URL=https://www.google.com/search?q=fluorouracil+5%25+cream+pictures&rlz;=1C1CHFX_enUS454US455&espv;=2&biw;=1366&bih;=659&tbm;=isch&tbo;=u&source;=univ&sa;=X&ved;=0CB0QsARqFQoTCOWdvsXXjccCFVU0iAod4ZICFg]https://www.google.com/search?q=fluorouracil+5%25+cream+pictures&rlz;=1C1CHFX_enUS454US455&espv;=2&biw;=1366&bih;=659&tbm;=isch&tbo;=u&source;=univ&sa;=X&ved;=0CB0QsARqFQoTCOWdvsXXjccCFVU0iAod4ZICFg[/URL]

(Sorry I read this after my last post; otherwise I would have multi-quote) @Patch I did the same cream on my head ... it kills the rapidly growing cells. Also I go to the doc every three months and always get spots frozen ... every visit. My doc also said it was most likely during the phase of my life where I thought I need to be as dark as I could get ... if I wore anything it was SPF 4. Oh the joy of an invincible youth mentality.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I've got to start doing this. I had a biopsy on a spot a month or so ago, and it came back suspicious, so I have to go back in a month or so for a check up. Definitely worth taking the time.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Once we're past this heat wave I'll go back to wearing UA HeatGear fitted long sleeve shirts under my golf shirt to protect my arms and long pants.  I tried wearing long pants when it was in the high 80's - 90's and I was miserable the entire day because I sweat a lot and the pants were just sticking to me.  I also only use SPF 70 on any exposed areas.

Another slightly OT warning is that my ophthalmologist told me I should be wearing sunglasses while playing golf.  He said people don't realize the damage done to the eyes while unprotected in the sun.  I started wearing them this year but I notice that most golfers do not wear them.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3057 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!