IGNORED

Reverse double overlap putting grip

RFKFREAK
Note: This thread is 3310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have heard of this grip but haven't had much luck finding pictures of it on the internet. Does anyone use this grip and can tell me the benefits of using it and maybe post some close up pictures of it so I can get a sense of what it looks like?

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Right hand on, left index and middle finger overlap the right pinkie and ring finger.

You're right, oddly, there aren't many pictures of it online.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Found this info, a competitor golf site, on such a grip and it's (supposed )  history.

http://bombsquadgolf.com/Invision/index.php?/topic/10516-hogans-putting-grip-and-stroke/

Gotta scroll down past the BS to get to the topic. Unlike here, where the goodies are first up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 12/7/2014 at 7:47 AM, HawkeyeDan said:

Sorry to resurrect, but I think this is what you mean? Arnold Palmer...found this on Google via Golf Digest.

That's not a reverse double overlap grip. This is courtesy of @mvmac :

4e107e1b_image.jpeg

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
What would you call what Arnie's doing there?

It's kind of a cross between an overlapping and an interlocking grip.

But it's neither double nor reverse.

I think you are mistaken iacas In Joe Kelly's post Hogan's putting grip is called reverse double overlap and the description matches what Arnie is showing Also golf digest from which that picture of Arnie is from calls it double reverse overlap

• Administrator
I think you are mistaken iacas

In Joe Kelly's post Hogan's putting grip is called reverse double overlap and the description matches what Arnie is showing

Also golf digest from which that picture of Arnie is from calls it double reverse overlap

It is, as you pointed out, what's described and depicted in the article *http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2008-10/arnold on the second page). It's also not what most people mean when they say "reverse double overlap."

Here's my thinking (and the thinking of everyone with whom I've ever talked this):

• Reverse means that the right (bottom) hand is on top.
  • Overlap means that the fingers aren't interlocked, of course.

Here's Jim Furyk's double overlap grip:

The right hand is on top. No interlocking.

Put two fingers from the left hand on top and you have what Mike posted above: the double reverse overlap:

Maybe you can call Mike's putting grip double reverse overlap And Arnies reverse double overlap I never tried the grip that Mike is showing for putting. But I have used what Arnie shows, however I prefer the regular reverse overlap for putting. If I do modified this grip I tend to also overlap my left thumb as well

@iacas asked me to post a pic of a double reverse overlap grip and I had @tristanhilton85 model it. I putt with a revers overlap grip (pic) so to me a double reverse overlap would have the lead hand index and middle fingers overlap. I honestly have never seen anyone use the grip that Palmer is demonstrating and it doesn't make any sense that it would be called a double reverse overlap when one of the fingers is interlocking.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Arnie's putting grip isnt interlocking.

The right pinkie is overlap the middle finger of the left hand.

The left forefinger is in reverse overlap position.

Because both hands overlap====> double overlap,

and because  one hand is reverse overlap====> reverse double overlap.

Im sure this is a common putting grip.

I recall reading something in golf digest Ian Baker Finch showing his putting grip was like this after winning the British Open

Also Ernie Els short game book a long time ago shows him using the same putting grip.

Someone can verify

Arnie's putting grip isnt interlocking.

The right pinkie is overlap the middle finger of the left hand.

The left forefinger is in reverse overlap position.

Because both hands overlap====> double overlap,

and because  one hand is reverse overlap====>reverse double overlap.

I recall reading something in golf digest Ian Baker Finch showing his putting grip was like this after winning the British Open

Also Ernie Els short game book a long time ago shows him using the same putting grip.

Someone can verify

To me double would imply the same hand, so like Jim Furyk.

I would probably call Arnie's grip an alternating overlap.

I never really pay attention to how people grip the putter. I don't think it is too common.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

This isn't really a debatable topic. Reverse double overlap grip exists, and there is no vagueness as to what it means/is. I dunno what Arnie's pictured grip is called, but it is not called a Reverse Double Overlap.

Just like this:

...is not an apple. There are certainly some similarities at a quick glance, but closer inspection reveals that it is not, in fact, an apple, and no amount of debate will change that.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator

I've never seen it in a few thousand golfers.

Having just gripped my putter with it, I think a big reason why is that it feels awkward as heck.

Jim Furyk's grip is a double overlap. Switch which hand is on top and it becomes a reverse double overlap grip. Simple as that.

I don't know what I'd call Palmer's grip. A Combination Double Overlap Grip perhaps?

I don't know what I'd call Palmer's grip. A Combination Double Overlap Grip perhaps?

Crossover overlap grip? Cross-overlap grip? It's about as awkward to name as it seems to be to use. Why not just do a double interlock and call it a day? How about, "Not as Good as My Drink Grip?"

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Trans-Cross Over Interlocking Double Lap?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Yeah would certainly not call Arnie's grip common.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!