IGNORED

Bubba Watson posts trick shot - picks ball out of air w/driver. Wants to be on Sportscenter.

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I thought it was interesting he flipped the ball to caddie? on pole with his wedge rather than just tossing it. And it being nighttime, you can see the initial trajectory pretty well. Looks like he had a couple of drinks or perhaps just hamming it up.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Amazing.  The little flop shot into someone's hand is a hell of a lot harder than he makes it look, and then of course the drive...one failed attempt at that by swinging early and he needs a new driver.

Anybody else just not at all impressed by this stuff?  Not just Bubba, but the Bryan Brothers, the Dudeperfect guys, etc?  Perhaps I'm just too skeptical, but I picture these guys spending a long time setting up one of their tricks, and then just repeating it 2, 3, 80, times (however many it takes) until they succeed.  Digital film is free, so a bit of patience, a shitload of free time, and some decent hand-eye coordination is really all that I think is required.

The stuff that Tiger and Rory can do with a ball and a wedge, OTOH, takes a lot more skill, as opposed to just many, many attempts.

Of course, if I were to find out that these guys AREN'T making several attempts to pull off these "tricks" then I would recant.

You are correct in that everybody understands the dudeperfect enterprise is a bunch of regular gym rats who do dozens of takes to get one shot that looks good on video.  Same idea with all the the various college-level audition tapes.

But this is Bubba, easily one of the world's 5 most famous golfers, using his very limited signature pink driver in between rounds at a tournament.  Do you really think he was out there whiffing on 50 takes before he got that one?

Admit it, that was impressive.

But this is Bubba, easily one of the world's 5 most famous golfers, using his very limited signature pink driver in between rounds at a tournament.  Do you really think he was out there whiffing on 50 takes before he got that one?

Admit it, that was impressive.

Not sure what his driver being pink or limited edition has to do with anything, but no, I don't think he was out there whiffing on 50 takes.  But that's not saying much, because I think I could pull that off in less than 50 takes.

If you've ever watched the NBA slam dunk contest, think about how anti-climatic it is when a guy succeeds on a dunk, no matter how impressive, on anything other than the very first try.  It doesn't take away from the athleticism, it's just not that big of a deal, unless they pull it off on the first try.  To me.

I have no problem with other people thinking this is really awesome, I just happen to not be one of those people.

There's nothing spectacular about the shot, considering all the trick shot vids out there, Watson all wired up was what stood out for me. He basically looked like he was going a little stir crazy.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Not sure what his driver being pink or limited edition has to do with anything, but no, I don't think he was out there whiffing on 50 takes.  But that's not saying much, because I think I could pull that off in less than 50 takes.

If you've ever watched the NBA slam dunk contest, think about how anti-climatic it is when a guy succeeds on a dunk, no matter how impressive, on anything other than the very first try.  It doesn't take away from the athleticism, it's just not that big of a deal, unless they pull it off on the first try.  To me.

I have no problem with other people thinking this is really awesome, I just happen to not be one of those people.

Well I can't believe I'm explaining this, but you have to time your swing so you hit the ball in the center of the face while it is falling from the sky.  If you start too early you will hit the ball off the crown of the club which will damage it, and since we know there are probably less than a half-dozen of those pink bimatrix g30's around that have been made for Bubba, he probably didn't miss on too many attempts!  But please, try it with your own driver and report the results.

Well I can't believe I'm explaining this, but you have to time your swing so you hit the ball in the center of the face while it is falling from the sky.  If you start too early you will hit the ball off the crown of the club which will damage it, and since we know there are probably less than a half-dozen of those pink bimatrix g30's around that have been made for Bubba, he probably didn't miss on too many attempts!  But please, try it with your own driver and report the results.

I mean, who's saying he used his gamer? If we buy that it's staged, he doesn't have to be using a specced out driver. Any pink colored driver could have stood in in this grainy night footage.

Personally, I buy that it's real and that Bubba is kind of a dickish drunk dude apparently. In any event, wasn't really all that impressive for a guy with his amazing hand-eye coordination. I think any average drive of his on Tour is way more unbelievable and wondrous to me.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Watson all wired up was what stood out for me. He basically looked like he was going a little stir crazy.

Seriously.  I think that "You're welcome" at the end means its about time for Phil to pass the FIGJAM nickname torch to Bubba, no?

Personally, I buy that it's real and that Bubba is kind of a dickish drunk dude apparently. In any event, wasn't really all that impressive for a guy with his amazing hand-eye coordination. I think any average drive of his on Tour is way more unbelievable and wondrous to me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting it was fake, just that it doesn't impress me.

Seriously.  I think that "You're welcome" at the end means its about time for Phil to pass the FIGJAM nickname torch to Bubba, no?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting it was fake, just that it doesn't impress me.

OK, I took one of your earlier comments about it not being impressive to mean that you thought they shot it over a few attempts. ie, staged it.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

OK, I took one of your earlier comments about it not being impressive to mean that you thought they shot it over a few attempts. ie, staged it.

To me, "fake" would imply that it didn't actually happen.  As in, somebody photoshopped it.  (Say, like Forrest Gump playing ping pong)

I'm not, for one second, doubting that Bubba actually nailed that shot.  Nor am I actually willing to bet or declare that he didn't do it on the first try.  (I wouldn't be surprised if it took a couple though, even if just for the caddy to get the toss location correct.)

What I'm saying is that knowing that it's possible that it could be attempted several times is part of what makes it unimpressive for me.  And the fact that it's barely different than playing soft toss during baseball practice. :whistle:

Poulter demonstrated some trick shot ability not too long ago.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Anybody else just not at all impressed by this stuff?  Not just Bubba, but the Bryan Brothers, the Dudeperfect guys, etc?

I don't watch golf trick shot stuff...at all. I'm sure it's very difficult but I just simply do..not..care.

If I want to watch some tricks I'll watch Patrick Melcher on a skateboard or something.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Anybody else just not at all impressed by this stuff?  Not just Bubba, but the Bryan Brothers, the Dudeperfect guys, etc?  Perhaps I'm just too skeptical, but I picture these guys spending a long time setting up one of their tricks, and then just repeating it 2, 3, 80, times (however many it takes) until they succeed.  Digital film is free, so a bit of patience, a shitload of free time, and some decent hand-eye coordination is really all that I think is required.

The stuff that Tiger and Rory can do with a ball and a wedge, OTOH, takes a lot more skill, as opposed to just many, many attempts.

Of course, if I were to find out that these guys AREN'T making several attempts to pull off these "tricks" then I would recant.

The long range stuff really does not impress me.

Unless.........they showed someone doing 5..10 times in a row.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

God, I would hate to be his caddie. "Hey Ted, get yer ass up the pole!" "C'mon Bubba, I'm tired and I told my wife I'd be home hours ago" "Up you go Ted-o!" Groan...

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 2998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!