IGNORED

Club head snapped off

Sassafrass
Note: This thread is 3205 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A few hours ago I was at the range working on my priority piece.  Everything was great.  I was making the best contact I've made with the ball in a long time.  About halfway through my bucket my club head of my 7 iron snapped off after making contact with the ball...

My clubs aren't even a year old and I somehow managed to snap one of my club heads off :(  Me and the guy working the range tried to find the head of my club but couldn't find it in the rough.

Has anyone ever snapped the club head off their club taking normal shots?  Mizuno probably can't do anything for me because I lost the head right?

Driver: Cobra Fly Z Plus, Stock Stiff,  10.5
3 Wood: TaylorMade AeroBurner, Stock Stiff, 15.0
3 Hybrid: Nike Vapor Speed, Stock Stiff, 20.0
4 to GW: Mizuno JPX EZ, KBS Tour 120
54: Cleveland Tour Action, Standard Bounce
58: Nike VR Vx3x Grooves, Toe Sweep
Putter: Odyssey Versa
Grips: Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G
Ball: Titleist NXT Tour

"Golf is not a game of good shots.  It's a game of bad shots." - Ben Hogan

Did you register them? Do you have the seriel number, I don't know which iron in the set they mark however, sometimes the seven. Contact them.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've only snapped 1 iron head. When I clean my clubs, I try to not get any water down the shaft. The shaft will rust from the inside. That's probably why it snapped. One year sees short, but who knows. I build my own, so I can't blame anyone but me.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Did you register them? Do you have the seriel number, I don't know which iron in the set they mark however, sometimes the seven. Contact them.

The clubs are registered to me.  It looks like the serial number is engraved on all of the club heads.  I wonder if the club head will get stuck in the ball retriever tomorrow morning.  I'm going to call the range and mizuno tomorrow.  Hopefully everything works out.

I wash my clubs 1-2 times a week.  I wonder if that's why the club head snapped off.

On a positive note I think I've dialed in my priority pieces for this week.

I've had that happen twice. I think the epoxy they used was faulty - either wrong kind or not enough or both? But seems there was a bad batch of epoxy that was used on my set of irons. Two snapped off during a normal swing. And two got lose and had to be re-glued.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Looks like a lot of epoxy inside the shaft up where it snapped off. Read somewhere that using too much epoxy when glueing the head on forces glue up the inside of the shaft crating a "break point" when the shaft flexes. I'm sure some experienced club builders or repair guys could weigh in on this.

That does seem like a lot of epoxy. I've never checked mine, but I don't think I get epoxy that far up the shaft. Does it look rusty where the break occurred?

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Has anyone ever snapped the club head off their club taking normal shots?

I never have but I see this often at my range.  It happened a week ago.  But he was trying to hit down on a shot.  My brother broke so many club heads off.   It's not an unusual event.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

It happened to me at the range a long time ago.  It was before I actually started playing . my brother and I took our Dad's clubs down to the range to hit a few.  Of course, the head of his 3 wood came off and went flying down the range.  Neither one of us could hit a golf ball back then (he still can't, lol) but we weren't being abusive with the club or anything.  It was a large, busy range - we never got the head back . .my Dad took it pretty well, though.

The clubs are registered to me.  It looks like the serial number is engraved on all of the club heads.  I wonder if the club head will get stuck in the ball retriever tomorrow morning.  I'm going to call the range and mizuno tomorrow.  Hopefully everything works out. I wash my clubs 1-2 times a week.  I wonder if that's why the club head snapped off. On a positive note I think I've dialed in my priority pieces for this week. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/128021/] [/URL]

Cleaning and washing per recommended manufacture guidelines are important. Standing clubs upright allows water or moisture to drain from grip hole. It's an alloyed shaft so you may not be able to see by eye a rusted let's say spot where it initially fractured. Working submarine metals all my career called for lab analsys when a part failed. You just might just have a bad shaft.

A few hours ago I was at the range working on my priority piece.  Everything was great.  I was making the best contact I've made with the ball in a long time.  About halfway through my bucket my club head of my 7 iron snapped off after making contact with the ball...

My clubs aren't even a year old and I somehow managed to snap one of my club heads off :(  Me and the guy working the range tried to find the head of my club but couldn't find it in the rough.

Has anyone ever snapped the club head off their club taking normal shots?  Mizuno probably can't do anything for me because I lost the head right?

Mizuno should replace the club, even if you do not find the club head.

You will need proof of purchase to verify they are within the warranty period.

I had my local rep go to bat for me when I requested a replacement driver for a defective weld.

Mizuno customer service first denied the warranty because the club was two months beyond the one year.

Contact your local rep first, I wasted over two months going through the retailer.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

did it really snap or did the shaft just came loose off the head?

hard to tell on the picture.

Otherwise it is clearly not the head or mizuno to blame but KBS.

personally i never had this, i'm a mizuno player for many years now.

it sucks tho that you lost the head.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

I took a really stupid hack at a ball by a tree with the 3W, hit a root and snapped a shaft. Having a well known temper problem everyone accused me of breaking on purpose. It really wasn't an expensive enough club to bother with.

I've had this happen a couple times but it was with two 3 woods and both times it was on the course. After having this happen to me I talked to the guy at the golf shop and he told me to be sure i kept my clubs inside while not using them, I used to leave the clubs in the garage or car. Apparently keeping the clubs outside of an air conditioned space is bad for the epoxy and causes it to deteriorate, so from now on I always keep my clubs inside my house and haven't had a problem since.

I went back to the range and found my clubhead today!  It looks like it will be repaired under warranty too.

Thanks to your post @Sassafrass , I had dreams about my club heads falling off last night! :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I did this with my 5 iron this year and to make it even weirder, I did it from a fairway bunker even after making good contact. Do you bring your clubs inside during the winter? I left mine in the garage for the first few months so the cold weather might have affected the shafts.

In the bag:
Driver: R9 Supertri
3W: R9
3i-PW: Mizuno Mp-68
Wedges: Taylormade Racs
Putter: PING Redwood blade

Note: This thread is 3205 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!