IGNORED

SGI irons for a 9.9 HI...

Note: This thread is 2549 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I love my Exotics CU irons do not get me wrong... I hit them well (but shorter than I want sometimes)... I don't want to break the bank, so I've been looking at clearance irons and EBay. I want a little more forgiveness where I get less distance loss... I'm a 9.9 HI (confirmed), and was thinking of XCG5 v1.2 irons (4-PW,AW) or XCG6 (4-PW)... I don't want to feel like I'm cheating... But could use the huge sweet spot... Thoughts? I have hit the XCG5 and XCG6 irons and they are stupid long and stupid easy to hit... I feel like I'm cheating though l

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wouldn't worry about the cheating thing ... I play i20s but got a chance to hit the new i series irons alongside the G30s ... And I loooved the G30s. I would have no qualms about playing with those if I was in the market for new irons regardless of their classification. (I'm not familiar with your specific irons, just speaking generally about the idea of a single digit capper playing SGIs)
  • Upvote 1

I love my Exotics CU irons do not get me wrong... I hit them well (but shorter than I want sometimes)... I don't want to break the bank, so I've been looking at clearance irons and EBay. I want a little more forgiveness where I get less distance loss... I'm a 9.9 HI (confirmed), and was thinking of XCG5 v1.2 irons (4-PW,AW) or XCG6 (4-PW)... I don't want to feel like I'm cheating... But could use the huge sweet spot... Thoughts? I have hit the XCG5 and XCG6 irons and they are stupid long and stupid easy to hit... I feel like I'm cheating though l

This game is hard enough. Use anything that makes it easier for you! :-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I don't want to feel like I'm cheating... But could use the huge sweet spot... Thoughts?

You can feel like you're cheating when you're shooting 54 every time you play.

Do what the pros do - use what's easiest.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

You can feel like you're cheating when you're shooting 54 every time you play. Do what the pros do - use what's easiest.

54... Birdie every hole... That would be the day... I would be happy in the low 70s again... Is there a huge adjustment that I would have to prepare for? (I know the lofts are stronger)

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Check the specs I think the CU and XCG6 have the same lofts. Might be one degree stronger. I have both biggest difference is offset, wide soles and weight of the XCG6. CU are easy to hit, what shaft are you using?

Dave :-)

Check the specs I think the CU and XCG6 have the same lofts. Might be one degree stronger. I have both biggest difference is offset, wide soles and weight of the XCG6. CU are easy to hit, what shaft are you using?

I have Dynalite 90 Stiff Shafts, (I had a set with KBS, but they seemed too heavy)... Probably the main difference will be the perimeter weighting and offset, like you stated, @Dave2512... I like the CU's, they are great clubs... Just thinking, that I might need more forgiveness... I lose a little too much loss in distance with mis-hits... Could partially be I still haven't put extensions in my shafts (relax I only need ½" so only 3 swing weight points)... But I'd think the benefit of a stupid easy to hit club are too much to ignore...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

I thought the XCG6 was clumsy feeling. Like to get the most out of it I had to swing close to my best. I may have to put shafts in them and try again. I know you are a TEE guy but look at the Cleveland 588MT.

I thought the XCG6 was clumsy feeling. Like to get the most out of it I had to swing close to my best. I may have to put shafts in them and try again. I know you are a TEE guy but look at the Cleveland 588MT.

I've heard that about the XCG6... I was thinking of XCG5 more because they didn't look as much like a science experiment...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Wouldn't worry about the cheating thing ... I play i20s but got a chance to hit the new i series irons alongside the G30s ... And I loooved the G30s.

I would have no qualms about playing with those if I was in the market for new irons regardless of their classification.

(I'm not familiar with your specific irons, just speaking generally about the idea of a single digit capper playing SGIs)

Another vote for the G30's, or the G Max irons or these

http://www.mizunousa.com/Golf/Products/JPX-850-4-GW-XP105-STEEL-RH

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I don't play PINGs sorry.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

@Dave2512 got the gist of what I'm looking for in clubs... I'm more looking for inexpensive TEE clubs, namely the XCG5, XCG6 and XCG7 irons... I have like a $300 budget... Not $700-800...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ever try the CB PROh?

Not yet... The price of them is way down though... I haven't ruled out the Hot Launch irons either.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Nobody cares what clubs you hit when you shoot par. In fact, they may want to know so they can get some too.
  • Upvote 1

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Not yet... The price of them is way down though... I haven't ruled out the Hot Launch irons either.

I saw new sets on eBay for $249 two days ago. Same seller I bought my CU's from. He was selling the CU's for $169. He probably had more TEE stuff.

Note: This thread is 2549 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!