IGNORED

Will I Lose Distance Using Cheaper Balls?

Note: This thread is 3087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

so I have always played any ball I can find etc. and always buy cheap nitro golf balls. this year I'm going to try to just use one ball and see if it matters at all. so I'm looking to buy about 100 top flight xl as there are cheaper price about 55 cents per ball and a name brand. I understand  they may not perform as well around the green . but I still loose 2 many balls , to use any ball that's over 1.50$ per ball . my questions is will I loose distance using these or other cheaper  name brand golf balls? vs. the more expensive balls . because I can afford more expensive balls, but it might get very painful to play a round and loose multiple 3.00 balls. thanks for any answers . these top flights are on sale now  so I will buy a large amount for next season if people like them.  they do get good reviews on the site that sells them ....but I rather see what you guys and gals think first thanks...

19 minutes ago, esayers said:

so I have always played any ball I can find etc. and always buy cheap nitro golf balls. this year I'm going to try to just use one ball and see if it matters at all. so I'm looking to buy about 100 top flight xl as there are cheaper price about 55 cents per ball and a name brand. I understand  they may not perform as well around the green . but I still loose 2 many balls , to use any ball that's over 1.50$ per ball . my questions is will I loose distance using these or other cheaper  name brand golf balls? vs. the more expensive balls . because I can afford more expensive balls, but it might get very painful to play a round and loose multiple 3.00 balls. thanks for any answers . these top flights are on sale now  so I will buy a large amount for next season if people like them.  they do get good reviews on the site that sells them ....but I rather see what you guys and gals think first thanks...

When I first started I bought slightly used balls from eBay for maybe 25 cents each. That was more than a year a go and I haven't paid for a ball since. I always find enough in the rough to keep stock.

I can't answer your question but like you, I'm not spending money until I lose less than one or two a round.

• Upvote 1

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

25 minutes ago, esayers said:

I did have some cheap balls once, and they were like range balls. In the winter time, they lost their oomph. Most balls that you pay more than $1/ball are reasonable.

The fancier balls will probably spin more with the shorter clubs, but driver will go about the same or even a tiny bit shorter. Their advantage is more consistency over a wider range of conditions. I used to find a lot of balls and have collected a large number of them, they go about the same distances as new premium balls. Some of the cheaper ones have finishes that seem to wear off quicker, but still go farther than range balls with roughly the same amount of wear.

Use whatever is in your budget, if you don't lost too many balls the premium balls are not too bad if you get them slightly used (usually hit once) for $1-$1.25.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I practice with Nitro yellow balls. I play e7 Bridgestones. I hit both the same distance when using my full swing. There's about a $15 difference per dozen between the two balls. The e7s are much better around the greens. IIt has been a few years ago but I have also played the Topflite XLs. You will be happy with them. Not as good around the greens as the e7s, but still a decent all around ball.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Usually cheaper balls are two piece hard balls.  Certainly TF XL's are.  You won't lose distance.

If you want to improve your scores (doesn't everybody), the first thing to do is keep your ball in play.  Maybe get a few lessons and don't leave the range until you can make reasonable contact and know where your ball is going. 

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

8 minutes ago, vangator said:

don't leave the range until you can make reasonable contact and know where your ball is going

If I had taken this advice, I'd have never left the range.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

10 hours ago, dkolo said:

If I had taken this advice, I'd have never left the range.

Yeah, me too! 

David Lake (1iron golf) recommends starting the season hitting 5 buckets with nothing but the driver until you hit the thing right.  Makes sense.  Lately, I've been hitting the driver almost exclusively on the range and have really improved my driving.  However, in Florida, there is not "start of the season".

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

The cheaper balls are generally distance balls because at that cost they will not make soft, spinny balls.  Will be a two piece "rock" as a rule of thumb.  So you will not lose distance and if you don't want to shape the ball, will get reasonably straight flight if hit well.  Where you will suffer is around the green because you will not have much control as you can only play a drop and run shot.  No matter how well you hit the ball, it will never spin backwards and rarely, if ever, take one bounce and check.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

On 11/14/2015, 10:29:11, esayers said:

my questions is will I loose distance using these or other cheaper  name brand golf balls? vs. the more expensive balls . because I can afford more expensive balls, but it might get very painful to play a round and loose multiple 3.00 balls. thanks for any answers . these top flights are on sale now  so I will buy a large amount for next season if people like them.  they do get good reviews on the site that sells them ....but I rather see what you guys and gals think first thanks...

Depends on your swing. If the cheaper ball changes the number of your launch parameters to something less optimal then yes you could see a drop in distance. 

25 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

The cheaper balls are generally distance balls because at that cost they will not make soft, spinny balls.  

Premium golf balls do not spin substantially more of the driver than a cheaper golf ball. The driver just doesn't interact with the cover of the ball as much as a wedge. The cover is what produces the most spin for wedge shots when comparing premium golf balls and cheaper ones. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

@saevel25, you will actually get more side spin with a tour ball than say the cheapest one of the respective brand, which is why tour pro's are able to shape shots more effectively and with better control.  So you can and will get more side spin with a tour ball as opposed to a distance ball, even with a  driver in hand.  Yes, the cover interaction with the grooves produces the spinning wedge shots.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

2 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

@saevel25, you will actually get more side spin with a tour ball than say the cheapest one of the respective brand, which is why tour pro's are able to shape shots more effectively and with better control. 

First, most PGA Tour players hit a stock shot a good majority of the time. Also, amateurs curve the ball way more than PGA tour players. Lets say a PGA Tour players hits a 10-15 yard fade versus an Amateurs 40 yard slice. They have more control because they have a more neutral swing path, and are consistent in that swing path and delivering the clubface how they want. On anything but short game shots you don't need to worry which ball you use. 

4 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

So you can and will get more side spin with a tour ball as opposed to a distance ball, even with a  driver in hand.  Yes, the cover interaction with the grooves produces the spinning wedge shots.

Distance balls average about 200 less rpm's in spin off the driver. Yet they average 2000 rpm less spin off wedge shots. There is really no significant increase in spin off the driver. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I played some of my best rounds with Pinnacle Golds. I think they are still around $1 per ball. I did switch to the $3 - $4 per ball type for part of  summer. I just didn't get that much improved performance for the extra cost and would get annoyed if I lost a couple in one round. I now play Bridgestone E7's. Mostly I buy used balls but occasionally buy new as well.

My favorite cheaper ball is the Noodle Soft and Long. Sometimes Wally World has the "practice" version that was like $15 for 2 dozen.

In $20 balls, I like the Titleist DT SoLo and the Callaway Supersoft.

After years of resisting, I am developing an addiction for the ProV1. I like the feel and sound off the wooden clubs I like to play. It chaps me to pay $4 for a ball, but I don't usually lose many.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I use Nike Mojo balls.  They have a good enough feel for me and they are fairly cheap.  I started with Nitros when I still lost 5-10 balls a round.  I am down to about 2 or 3 per round and the mojos work well.  They are a little tricky on a hard green compared to a couple of pro v1s i have used, but they work for me.  Always get used balls.  I got 2 dozen pro v1s off of ebay for $20 for when I am feeling lucky.

:callaway: Mens Strata Plus set

Protected by Ruger firearms.

If you hear my shot, I wasnt aiming at you

Not necessarily is the right answer.   Your swing speed, swing mechanic, club, and other things all factor in.   But to be honest, if you are a beginner and lose lots of balls, any reasonable cheap ball will do.

Beware that if you are buying used Top Flite XLs, be sure to buy recent model,   There have been change in the balls over time and really old ones are like rocks.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I just started playing golf again after 20 years because of a back operation.  This summer, when I began to play again, I couldn't believe the technical advancements in the game.  20 years ago I played Top Flite Tour balls exclusively because I scored better with them.  I was a solid 5 hcp. then and a long hitter.

This summer I've had to build a completely new swing because of my back.  I bought some "old man's" clubs and began my new golf life as a senior golfer.  I'm way shorter with all my clubs now.

Since I had no idea at the beginning of the summer what my swing was going to be like, I bought a couple dozen Wilson balls at WalMart for $10.  They worked fine.  I was hitting the ball pretty straight, but, about 30-40 yds. shorter.  I thought I better try some different balls to try and gain a little distance.  I tried some TopFlite Gamer balls and liked them.  They were only $20 a dozen.  However, there didn't seem to be much difference between those and the cheap WalMart balls.  Then I tried Bridgestones, Titlelist, Nike and Calloway.  None of those balls added any length.

Then I bought a dozen Macgregor VIP balls from Golfsmith for $15. (You can get 2 dozen for $25) These balls were a great fit for me.  With my swing, I gained 10-15 yds. off the tee and my approach shots dropped one iron.  I used to hit an 8 iron from 150 yds. (remember this was stone age in technology terms).  All summer I was hitting a 6 iron from 150 yds. and since I started using the Mac's, I'm down to a 7 iron.  My drives were achieving a 200-205 carry and now I'm getting 200-220 carry.  Up through my 8 iron, the ball stops on the green pretty much where it lands.  They're a 3 piece ball and I think that helps.  My 7 iron runs out a yd. or 2 and my 6 and 5 irons will run out about 3 or 4 yds.  I have to be careful with my 4H and 3H as they tend to run off the green if I get too greedy.  However, when I'm hitting my H's, I'm usually running it on the green anyway.

That's a lot of typing to tell you for a senior that's down to a 93 mph club head speed who tends to hit the ball on a high trajectory, these Macgregor VIP balls are a great deal.

Later,

John

Macgregor Tourney Driver, 5w, 3-4H, 5-PW, 52-58W

Heriko 14 degree Driver (Tee and Turf)

Odyssey Big-T Putter

Note: This thread is 3087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!